ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old November 8th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #1
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Coldest day of riding yet...

...road into work today with temp about 42 degrees. My Scorpion gear with thermal/water resistant liner kept me relatively warm! Hands got cold, but it's only about a 3 mile commute so no biggie.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #2
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

winter gloves come in handy... i've been commuting in those temps for a little while now. Most are waterproof as well, which will help for the pacnw.

i just commuted on Tuesday in 20ish degree weather... now that's a little chilly. Looking at heated grips now. you don't get that chilly there, but they could be an option too, for the occasional freeze that the pacnw eventually does see.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #3
250rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
winter gloves come in handy... i've been commuting in those temps for a little while now. Most are waterproof as well, which will help for the pacnw.

i just commuted on Tuesday in 20ish degree weather... now that's a little chilly. Looking at heated grips now. you don't get that chilly there, but they could be an option too, for the occasional freeze that the pacnw eventually does see.
Winter gloves. Hmmm...

Old November 8th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #4
cuz
cuz

Name: Israel

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

Nice & toasty down here

Old November 8th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #5
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

For winter riding I went with something like these...http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7862_200437862

Not made for motorcyles in general, so they offer no real protection..but your hands will be nice and warm/dry.
I couldn't find any that keep my hands warm, in under 50 degree that where specifically made for motorcycles, which is why I just went with these.

Only other option I know of w MC specific gloves, would be grip heaters.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #6
dfox
ninjette.org sage

I got these... Theyre great until about 35 low speed, 40 high speed. Heated grips soon enough, but I need snow tires for my WRX first.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...ore-tex-gloves

Old November 8th, 2012, 04:35 PM   #7
Lakeshow
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ZX6R

I got a balaklava from under armour and its works amazingly, blocks any wind on my neck and face and keeps me nice and warm. The worst part of cold weather riding ive noticed was my fingertips get cold, but other than that im fine. i usually layer myself with some thermals in my pants and a long sleeve one
Lakeshow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #8
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

It was 35 degrees on my way back from class on Halloween night...my commute was 50 miles though, takes about 1.25 hours. Still only have my summer gloves and cyclegear glove liners :P
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #9
Lakeshow
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
It was 35 degrees on my way back from class on Halloween night...my commute was 50 miles though, takes about 1.25 hours. Still only have my summer gloves and cyclegear glove liners :P
how are the glove liners, when i head to class in the morning its mid 30's

Old November 8th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #10
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshow View Post
how are the glove liners, when i head to class in the morning its mid 30's
It's really hard for me to say, since I'm using them with gloves that flow air for summer months. With actual winter gloves that don't have perforation, I would say they would work quite well. My hands got cold, but at no point did they feel numb or close to it; I still had plenty of feeling and dexterity
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #11
Lakeshow
ninjette.org member

Yea i have knox handroids and they are somewhat perfd, where did you get the liners from

Old November 8th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #12
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250rr View Post
...road into work today with temp about 42 degrees. My Scorpion gear with thermal/water resistant liner kept me relatively warm! Hands got cold, but it's only about a 3 mile commute so no biggie.
Man Up
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #13
scottg
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post

You're hardcore dude. I'm in JP and put my bike away in Newburyport last weekend. Thought I was gonna get frostbite on my ride up there.
scottg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #14
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottg View Post
You're hardcore dude. I'm in JP and put my bike away in Newburyport last weekend. Thought I was gonna get frostbite on my ride up there.
it's not as bad as you might think... ever go skiing? not too much different, unless you hit the highway of course, which I don't.

i live in arlington, work in cambridge and waltham, depending on the day. most of my commute is under 35 mph. In the cold, if I need to get on the highway, that's what I have a subie for. I just try to save the in-city stuff for the bike, since the mileage is way better, and it keeps the wear and tear down on the subie, it definitely isn't built for city driving.

i also have winter gloves, a balaclava, jacket with liner, pants with liner, and full race boots, so i'm covered head to toe.

Old November 8th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #15
scottg
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Good call on the commuting, this city will f-up a car. I'm lucky enough to commute on the T so I just ride for fun. I was on 93/95 for about an hour at 80mph or so and that's what got me.
scottg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2012, 10:01 PM   #16
PHL
ninjette.org member

Name: Napoleon

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Street Triple R

Still commuting here, did it last "winter". Rode home last night during the nor'easter. Ten mile commute that takes 30 minutes thanks to traffic. Wore my perfed leather jacket, rather than break out my winter jacket, a Rev'it Sand jacket. Hardest part was the lack of visibility, seeing the road and being seen by all the knuckleheads trying to get home. Of course, when do I nearly get clipped by someone who cuts in front of me from the right lane? In broad daylight with no precipitation...
PHL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2012, 07:25 AM   #17
250rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
Man Up
I know no other way, my friend. Unless it gets cold. Then I just want to curl up on the couch with a bouquet of pansies.

Old November 10th, 2012, 04:28 AM   #18
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

How do your hands get cold on a 3 mile commute? I just rode 75 miles in temps ranging from about 38 to 44, and my perforated leather gloves were ok for the first 25 miles or so...
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 06:58 AM   #19
250rr

See post #17.

Old November 10th, 2012, 02:17 PM   #20
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

LOL

Old November 10th, 2012, 03:23 PM   #21
bbonds007
The Bonds

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 06 Yellow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshow View Post
I got a balaklava from under armour and its works amazingly, blocks any wind on my neck and face and keeps me nice and warm. The worst part of cold weather riding ive noticed was my fingertips get cold, but other than that im fine. i usually layer myself with some thermals in my pants and a long sleeve one
+1 on under-armor balaclava, thing is expensive but works wonderfully. I also wear an under-armor shirt when its really cold, its amazing how well it traps heat.

Being my first year riding, I was really concerned about winter riding. Everyone at my local motorcycle shop thought the idea was crazy, and almost impossible under 40 degrees. They really must be using the wrong gear as I actually get toasty in my gear if its above 45degrees... 35degrees in light rain has been my worst and I stayed perfectly warm for 50min riding around 45-60mph.
bbonds007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #22
Kokosun
Are you sure about that?

Name: That's "Sir" to you!

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-F16, Versys KLE650 CAF

I just bought some Buffalo Acrtic Motorcycle Gloves, and they're really good. Prior to that I was using GearX Summer Motorcycle Gloves. I found that they were reasonably warm down to about 40F, but below that my fingertips were getting cold. I also have a thin cotton balaclava which is really great when the temps are below 40F. It's less about keeping my head/face warm (the helmet does that) and more about keeping my neck warm. If I add a cotton buff too, then I'm generally feeling pretty good. Temp hasn't got below about 35F yet, but I'm doing OK so far.
Kokosun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #23
Bassman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 1986 Goldwing, 1996 CR500, 2011 Ninja 250, 2009 Harley Heritage Softail, 1941 Suzuki Gerbil 250

It was a lovely 40 degrees this morning on my ride and warmed up to a toasty 52 by the time I got back. I really like the crisp weather, although I don't think I'd like it too much colder.
Attached Images
File Type: gif OutsideTempHistory.gif (13.0 KB, 0 views)

Old November 11th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #24
250rr

Went up into the hills yesterday. Estimated OAT 39 degrees. I stay pretty warm except for my hands. I've been researching winter gloves.

Old November 11th, 2012, 08:29 AM   #25
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2009 Ninja 250

My neck and thighs get it the worse. Between my chin and the collar on the jacket is the worse. I don't want to buy "cold weather" riding gear because in buffalo I only ride when it's warm. But 80* days turning into 50* nights are very common
Bob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #26
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2010 View Post
My neck and thighs get it the worse. Between my chin and the collar on the jacket is the worse. I don't want to buy "cold weather" riding gear because in buffalo I only ride when it's warm. But 80* days turning into 50* nights are very common
http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...ask/web1008474

Old November 11th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #27
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post
Wow. Mind blown. Thanks! Ordering one now
Bob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #28
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
I tend to wear a Buff, they look less like motorcycle stuff, and you can simply keep it round your neck when you go into a shop and don't want to look like a mugger and pull it up when you leave, they do a surprisingly good job at keeping all wind out, and are supposed to cut down airborne pollutants as they are microfibre, I use them all the time on the push bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (6).JPG (124.7 KB, 4 views)
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #29
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Wow. Mind blown. Thanks! Ordering one now
Just a heads up, they are a little bit small, I'm pretty wide and it fits on me, but it pulls tight and starts hurting my neck if I'm in a tuck for extended periods of time. The easy solution is to put it on, put your helmet on, and undo the velcro on the back, or use a cheap extender that they sell in most motorcycle shops.

I just undo the thing myself, it's only designed to protect the front. I've been thinking about doing something else for the back, but lately as the temps are dropping I've been thinking about wearing a hoody under my jacket instead of the other layers, and the hood would get the back of my neck, so it should be ok.