ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 10th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #1
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Almost got into a collision yesterday

I was 2 blocks from my house, making a right hand turn into my neighborhood. I had the right of way. The on coming mercedes was making a left onto the same road. I clicked my blinker 50' before my turn and I was closer to the turn than they were. I began looking thru the turn when out of the corner of my eye, I see a silver bumper. I righted the bike and hit my brakes. The asshole decided that it was ok for him to proceed before me. His passengers clearly saw me as they laughed and looked straight at me.

I really wanted to follow him and give him a piece of my mind, but I turned off into my own street and left. I didn't want to cause something that would turn ugly later on since I've seen that car a lot and I'm sure they're residents in my neighborhood too.

Old March 10th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #2
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Motorcycles in Head-On Collisions
Crashes involving motorcycles and other vehicles account for 56% of motorcycle accident deaths. In the vast majority of these accidents, the car strikes the motorcycle from the front --78% of the time. (The car strikes the motorcycle from the rear only 5% of the time.) Head-on collisions between a car and motorcycle are often fatal to the motorcyclist.

Cars Making Left-Hand Turns
The single most dangerous situation for motorcyclists occurs when cars are making left-hand turns. These collisions account for 42% of all accidents involving a motorcycle and car. Usually, the turning car strikes the motorcycle when the motorcycle is:

going straight through an intersection
passing the car, or
trying to overtake the car.

sucks though i just always assume they are going to make the turn and slow almost down to a stop mid turn in traffice conditions.

Old March 10th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #3
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

It makes my blood boil when the occupants of the vehicle laugh at a close call. I sure would like to give them something to laugh about - like an *ss-kickin'.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #4
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by austexjg View Post
It makes my blood boil when the occupants of the vehicle laugh at a close call. I sure would like to give them something to laugh about - like an *ss-kickin'.
Yeah, I was really pissed off too.

Old March 10th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by austexjg View Post
They were probably laughing at the stupid driver in their own car. Give them the benefit of the doubt!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #6
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
They were probably laughing at the stupid driver in their own car. Give them the benefit of the doubt!
Nope. The passenger in the rear seat turned his head to continue smiling his big grin while looking at me thru the rear glass. When someone is sorry, even for the actions of the driver, they usually mouth "sorry" or have a sympathetic look on their face. This was a car filled with douchebags.

Old March 10th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #7
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
Nope. The passenger in the rear seat turned his head to continue smiling his big grin while looking at me thru the rear glass. When someone is sorry, even for the actions of the driver, they usually mouth "sorry" or have a sympathetic look on their face. This was a car filled with douchebags.
I would find the car and give them something to laugh about
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #8
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

you mean you didn't throw your helmet at them?!?!?!?!?

Old March 10th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #9
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

haha! No I didn't. I think you have to own a gixxer as a requirement to throw your helmet at a moving car, while riding yourself.

Old March 10th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #10
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

I'm just not a road rage kind of guy any more. I just shook my head and went my way. Too many things can go bad if you let your emotions take control.

Old March 10th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #11
DropDeadLED
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 09 ER6-N

Quote:
I'm just not a road rage kind of guy any more. I just shook my head and went my way. Too many things can go bad if you let your emotions take control.
Very true.
DropDeadLED is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #12
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Did you have a stop sign? was the car already in the intersection before you got to the intersection? if so, you may not have the right of way.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #13
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Yeah, I was really pissed off too.
My sister is that way, when she gets scared or nervous she starts laughing. some man had his fake leg stuck on a fence and asked her to help him...she started busting up laughing cuz she was so nervous about touching a plastic leg. So I guess this might be the same reason why that jerk was laughing too.

Old March 10th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #14
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
My sister is that way, when she gets scared or nervous she starts laughing. some man had his fake leg stuck on a fence and asked her to help him...she started busting up laughing cuz she was so nervous about touching a plastic leg. So I guess this might be the same reason why that jerk was laughing too.
LMAO!!!

Just reading that made me LOL!

I have a friend that is like that too. When he gets angry he starts laughing but it can get annoying at times. Kinda ruins the mood.

But it's still funny as hell though.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #15
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

Quote:
well, that is kinda funny in a weird way
Posted via Mobile Device
oroboros is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2011, 01:04 PM   #16
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Quote:
I was 2 blocks from my house, making a right hand turn into my neighborhood. I had the right of way. The on coming mercedes was making a left onto the same road. I clicked my blinker 50' before my turn and I was closer to the turn than they were. I began looking thru the turn when out of the corner of my eye, I see a silver bumper. I righted the bike and hit my brakes. The asshole decided that it was ok for him to proceed before me. His passengers clearly saw me as they laughed and looked straight at me.

I really wanted to follow him and give him a piece of my mind, but I turned off into my own street and left. I didn't want to cause something that would turn ugly later on since I've seen that car a lot and I'm sure they're residents in my neighborhood too.
To get back on the seriousness of your incident, Ive said a few times here already "I'm Invisible" should be everyones first mantra. We have no "right of way" and I myself was guilty as a youthful rider of criminal behavior. Now I get license plates and pay the masons after a few weeks have gone by. The person gets the "my driving habits" message anonymously. Glad you didn't slide out braking on a corner Bro.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #17
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

That's why I record every inch I roll on my bike with a helmet-cam, HD no less. I would have expressed my disgust with their behavior with the appropriate finger, and if they wanted to cause any more problems that would be on video as well. I've already compiled hours of this kind of crap and now that Sony Vegas Studio HD is up and running on my home system I'll be making video compilations, probably sorted by type, to post on youtube. Man, I wish there was a national registry website for automotive douchebags, sorted by license plate.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #18
lux
ninjette.org guru

Name: lux

The driver deliberately cut you off, and likely knows you two reside in the same neighborhood. Seems like he doesn't care about taking responsibility for his actions.

Good to read you avoided it, man.
lux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #19
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by coondog View Post
To get back on the seriousness of your incident,
Agreed, sorry wasn't attempting to add comic to this thread.

glad you're ok CT...if you do see the guy in your neighborhood, maybe you should consider talking to him. Afterall if he does that to you knowing very well you live in that area, whats going to stop him from doing to someone else and maybe hurting him. very sad.

Old March 10th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #20
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Did you have a stop sign? was the car already in the intersection before you got to the intersection? if so, you may not have the right of way.
no stop signs along my route. Here's a picture. Mercedes is the green arrow and I'm the blue. I circled in red the only 2 stop signs. No, the car was not already making his turn. If I was driving my car, he would never have tried to turn in front of me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg intersection.jpg (91.4 KB, 23 views)

Old March 10th, 2011, 02:47 PM   #21
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Agreed, sorry wasn't attempting to add comic to this thread.

glad you're ok CT...if you do see the guy in your neighborhood, maybe you should consider talking to him. Afterall if he does that to you knowing very well you live in that area, whats going to stop him from doing to someone else and maybe hurting him. very sad.
No big deal. My sister has that nervous laughter as well. I understand you guys trying to consider other alternatives to why they might be laughing, I just don't think they were nervous. There are a lot of punks in my area and these guys fit the bill.

Old March 10th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #22
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Sorry to hear about your close call but at least nothing serious happened. In the short time I've been riding I've learned that even if you have the right of way, sometimes it's just best to waive the other car through and give him/her the right of way. That way, I'm behind him rather than the other way around when we both have completed our turns. It's harder to predict/avoid something behind you rather than if it were in front. In a battle of car vs. motorcycle, car will always win.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #23
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
Sorry to hear about your close call but at least nothing serious happened. In the short time I've been riding I've learned that even if you have the right of way, sometimes it's just best to waive the other car through and give him/her the right of way. That way, I'm behind him rather than the other way around when we both have completed our turns. It's harder to predict/avoid something behind you rather than if it were in front. In a battle of car vs. motorcycle, car will always win.
So, how do you wave them thru if you are looking through your turn? I was doing what we were taught at the MSF course. You look where you're going. It's a good thing I was going slow enough to avoid the collision.

Old March 10th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #24
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
So, how do you wave them thru if you are looking through your turn? I was doing what we were taught at the MSF course. You look where you're going. It's a good thing I was going slow enough to avoid the collision.
The point is to waive them through before you commit to your turn. It depends on the intersection though. If you are already looking through your turn then it means you've already committed and "hoping" that the other car respects your right of way. The point is to try to avoid placing that hope on someone else when you reasonably can. Don't always assume that the other driver is mindful and respectful of someone on a motorcycle.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #25
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Tri, You did the smart thing. Most of the time, ignoring someone is much more effective

Old March 10th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #26
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Tri, You did the smart thing. Most of the time, ignoring someone is much more effective
Thanks Alex. I think it's the age and marriage thing. I somehow became slightly more mature than I was 10 years ago. If this had happened when I was a loose canon, I probably would have followed them home to find out where they live so I could "thank" them. Now I just vent on a forum. LOL

Old March 10th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #27
"A"
vampire

Quote:
no stop signs along my route. Here's a picture. Mercedes is the green arrow and I'm the blue. I circled in red the only 2 stop signs. No, the car was not already making his turn. If I was driving my car, he would never have tried to turn in front of me.
If the car was already in the intersection before you even got into the intersection, you may not have the right of way, unless you were going straight through the intersection.

Not passing judgment on you, but it is the first rule of motorcycling on public roads: you are invisible to all traffic.

Old March 10th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #28
coolbreeze
ninjette.org sage

Name: darius

Motorcycle(s): 2000 250 sold; 2005 636 sold. BIKELESS IN ATLANTA

We have a really bad turn near my house where people tend to cut you off, even if you are in a car. My latest tactic is wait until the very last moment before I turn my blinker on. This way, they won't try turning in front of me because they think I'm going straight. P.S., I don't do this if I have people behind me.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #29
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
If the car was already in the intersection before you even got into the intersection, you may not have the right of way, unless you were going straight through the intersection.
That doesn't make sense. I only have the right of way if I go straight, but if I'm turning, I lose that right? I see a lot of conjecture on your part. Why are you saying "if" this and "if" that? I told you what happened. If he was already making his turn, I would have seen it well ahead of time and would not have been leaning into my turn. Look at the picture I posted. It's a 4 lane road with plenty of visibility on both sides. I was closer to the intersection than they were.

When a car is making a left hand turn, it must yield to on coming traffic. My wife was in a similar accident 9 years ago. She was at an intersection and made a left hand turn. She didn't judge the on coming car's speed properly. That car plowed into the rental truck my wife was driving causing it to flip over. The cop said it was her fault because the on coming car always has the right of way. I don't really understand why people are making excuses for the asshat. I've been driving for 18 years now. I think I know the rules of the road and I am pretty positive I know how to be a courteous driver. Are you one of those people who like to take your chances with an on coming vehicle when making turns? I should also point out that when I moved to this neighborhood, my insurance rates went up. I asked my provider why and they said the rate of accidents is much higher in this area. After living here for a year, I completely understand why. 3 weeks ago, another accident happened a block down. My neighbor across the street rear ended a car making a left hand turn, which forced the car over the curb, through a wall, and onto the front yard of the corner house.

Old March 10th, 2011, 03:56 PM   #30
"A"
vampire

Quote:
That doesn't make sense. I only have the right of way if I go straight, but if I'm turning, I lose that right? I see a lot of conjecture on your part. Why are you saying "if" this and "if" that? I told you what happened. If he was already making his turn, I would have seen it well ahead of time and would not have been leaning into my turn. Look at the picture I posted. It's a 4 lane road with plenty of visibility on both sides. I was closer to the intersection than they were.

When a car is making a left hand turn, it must yield to on coming traffic. My wife was in a similar accident 9 years ago. She was at an intersection and made a left hand turn. She didn't judge the on coming car's speed properly. That car plowed into the rental truck my wife was driving causing it to flip over. The cop said it was her fault because the on coming car always has the right of way. I don't really understand why people are making excuses for the asshat. I've been driving for 18 years now. I think I know the rules of the road and I am pretty positive I know how to be a courteous driver. Are you one of those people who like to take your chances with an on coming vehicle when making turns? I should also point out that when I moved to this neighborhood, my insurance rates went up. I asked my provider why and they said the rate of accidents is much higher in this area. After living here for a year, I completely understand why. 3 weeks ago, another accident happened a block down. My neighbor across the street rear ended a car making a left hand turn, which forced the car over the curb, through a wall, and onto the front yard of the corner house.
AFAIK, A driver approaching an intersection must yield the right of way to traffic already in the intersection.

If the car was in the intersection before you got there to make your turn, you do not have the right of way.

Source: Rules of the Road for NY.

also for California:

The driver of a vehicle approaching an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle which has entered the intersection from a different highway.

I've been driving for over 20 years, 4 of which as a professional.. never an accident.

Remember: It is much better to give up the
right of way than to risk an accident.

Old March 10th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #31
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Holy crap. How many times do I have to say he was not there before me?

Old March 10th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #32
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Mercedes always have the right of way, unless a Bentley or Rolls is present.

Old March 10th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #33
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
AFAIK, A driver approaching an intersection must yield the right of way to traffic already in the intersection.

If the car was in the intersection before you got there to make your turn, you do not have the right of way.

Source: Rules of the Road for NY.

also for California:

The driver of a vehicle approaching an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to any vehicle which has entered the intersection from a different highway.

I've been driving for over 20 years, 4 of which as a professional.. never an accident.

Remember: It is much better to give up the
right of way than to risk an accident.
Thanks for that california Link. You didn't read it thoroughly. Read #3.

(e) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(1) Any intersection controlled by an official traffic control signal or yield right-of-way sign.

(2) Any intersection controlled by stop signs from less than all directions.

(3) When vehicles are approaching each other from opposite directions and the driver of one of the vehicles intends to make, or is making, a left turn.

Old March 10th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #34
"A"
vampire

Quote:
Holy crap. How many times do I have to say he was not there before me?
No, you did not specify that the car was not in the intersection when you made your turn from the intersection.

Left turn vehicles have to cover longer distance than right turn vehicle, in your case, the car had to cover the distance of two lanes in the intersection before the bumper reaches your motorcycle, which has less distance to cover to complete the turn. Unlikely if the car has not been in the intersection prior to you, unless the car was speeding through the intersection.

Quote:
Thanks for that california Link. You didn't read it thoroughly. Read #3.

(e) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(1) Any intersection controlled by an official traffic control signal or yield right-of-way sign.

(2) Any intersection controlled by stop signs from less than all directions.

(3) When vehicles are approaching each other from opposite directions and the driver of one of the vehicles intends to make, or is making, a left turn.
Regulations with exceptions do not help you when you get hit in an accident. You guys should really adapt the NY state regulations and retain constancy among regulations.

Old March 10th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #35
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
No, you did not specify that the car was not in the intersection when you made your turn from the intersection.

Left turn vehicles have to cover longer distance than right turn vehicle, in your case, the car had to cover the distance of two lanes in the intersection before the bumper reaches your motorcycle, which has less distance to cover to complete the turn. Unlikely if the car has not been in the intersection prior to you, unless the car was speeding through the intersection.
There's your answer.

Old March 10th, 2011, 04:16 PM   #36
"A"
vampire

Quote:
There's your answer.
It's not my answer.. It's your body that gets injured when accident hapens to you when you fail to observe the first rule of operating a motorcycle on public roads, you are invisible to all other traffic.

Old March 10th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #37
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Apologies for my earlier comment (which has been deleted). It's significantlyout of character for me; I may think about doing such silly things as I mentioned, but realize it's simply a poor decision and instead just ignore the offender to carry on with what I was doing.

As has been said before and better, just walk (or in this case ride) away is generally the best option. Sorry about the derail, but didn't want my previous comment to stand.

Old March 10th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #38
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

We should equip our ninja's with those putty gps sticky things like in the movies. Track them down and teach them who's boss. My favorite prank/destructive property idea that i've been dying to use but probably never will is use EPOXY and glue the driver's side door shut. Too bad I sorta believe in karma.

Good job avoiding the collision though. Had it been you're first day riding, imagine how panicked you'd be.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #39
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
IIRC, oncoming traffic always has the right of way. In this case, the right turner is the oncoming traffic, since the left turner has to cross opposing travel lanes.

Quote:
Revenge is a dish best served cold. Usually around 2 a.m.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #40
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Bob - I'd tend to agree with you. If it were two cars and they collided in exactly the same place under the exact same conditions, more fault, if not all fault, would likely be placed on the oncoming car that turned left against traffic and collided with a car in the other lane.

But, and it's a big but, I also agree with the comments in this thread that state the obvious: being right doesn't matter when it comes to collisions between a car and a bike. We have to be more vigilant, we have to be more alert, as we will lose that battle every single time.

Giving the car in this instance the benefit of doubt, perhaps the driver didn't see you at first (bikes really are harder to pick up visually), started to make the turn, then saw that you were there, and judged that they would be better off to keep going rather than stop while hanging out in the other lane. The OP was the only one at the scene, so he'd be best able to determine the realities here.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote