ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 27th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #1
MrBrownTX
ninjette.org member

Name: Brown

Motorcycle(s): 1995 Ninja EX250

Hey Texas Riders, got a Q? for yall

Quick story(Not directly related to the question, but Good News!): So about a month ago my wife said, after 8 years of me asking, "Go get a motorcyle, I am tired of buying Diesel for your truck". I bought a beat up old 1995 ninja 250 for $1200. Its not pretty but it ran and had a clear title in hand(seems to be rare on Craigslist to get both of those things on a cheap bike). I had to wait a couple of weeks to get the tag title stuff sorted. Then when I started riding it around it was SUPER sluggish, had sat for a long time with the previous owner, but it ran atleast. I put some carb cleaner in it and rode it for a few days. I rode it up to the Kawi dealer to get stuff to do an oil change and it wouldn't start back up there. I left it for a carb job, almost 3 weeks later I finally got it back yesterday!! It runs amazing comared to how it did.

The Question: How do I go about getting a leaners permit in Texas? On the DPS website it says you have to take the MSF class for a permit. It also says you have to take the MSF class for a license. That isn't really clear.

In FL where I learned to ride many years ago, I took the written to get a permit and just kept renewing it. I never made it down to the DMV to take the road test.

I do plan on taking the MSF this summer because I am sure I will learn stuff from it. In the mean time I want to get a permit to be legal.
MrBrownTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 12:23 PM   #2
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

Seems the wife knows best. My wife made me get a bike again because my idea of a "expensive date night out on the town" was going to the local texaco and filling up my truck with 16 gallons. LOL!

I'm not sure if they issue permits anymore without a MSF cert, since they no longer do the Permit>Riding Test>Endorsement route for motorcycles. I think you can only get a "permit" that has to be renewed every year if you're under 18. You'd have to call a local dps and see if they can issue without one. My nephew went to get a motorcycle permit awhile ago and they wouldn't let him get it without a MSF cert.

But for a endorsement you'd have to take this route:

Take a approved MSF coarse and get your basic rider certificate from them. It will have two pieces to it, one pliable waxy type paper piece, and one solid cardboard piece. Take the flimsy waxy copy down to a DPS, DMV whatever that conducts tests and request a test for your M endorsement. All you will have to do is pay $15 and take a computer test, it is easy. You can skip questions you don't know and just answer ones you do. It kicks you off the system once you get the minimum amount of correct answers and you will get your endorsement.

I got mine when I was a teenager and my riding test was basically "go around the parking lot without falling", lol. It took my nephew a month to get his because of the long wait to take a MSF coarse. I think the new way is better to be honest. I learned some useful stuff and broke bad old habits after my MSF class. That was after 10+ years of riding self taught.
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #3
Mizono
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red Ninja 250R

The process isnt too hard. Step one is take the MSF course. As far as i know it isnt required to get your endorsement. However it does wave you from the riding portion of the test at the DMV. I took the class then went to the DMV the next day. paid my $$$ took my test and BAM all done with a M class Endorsement on my license. No permit or anything.
Mizono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #4
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

You cannot get the M endorsement without taking the MSF course effective September 2009, it's now mandatory. AFAIK there is no provision to get a learner's permit without it either, so effectively you cannot legally ride without the MSF and a license or permit.

Texas eliminated the rider portion of the license test and replaced it with the MSF. The sooner you can take it, the sooner you can legally ride. Also, AFAIK it's not possible to get liability insurance for it without an M endorsement, and I thought it was impossible to get the title transferred and tags for it without motorcycle liability insurance. The fines for riding without insurance or license are heavy in Texas, highly recommend getting that squared away pronto.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #5
Mizono
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
You cannot get the M endorsement without taking the MSF course effective September 2009, it's now mandatory. AFAIK there is no provision to get a learner's permit without it either, so effectively you cannot legally ride without the MSF and a license or permit.

Texas eliminated the rider portion of the license test and replaced it with the MSF. The sooner you can take it, the sooner you can legally ride. Also, AFAIK it's not possible to get liability insurance for it without an M endorsement, and I thought it was impossible to get the title transferred and tags for it without motorcycle liability insurance. The fines for riding without insurance or license are heavy in Texas, highly recommend getting that squared away pronto.
HUH good info i didnt realize it was mandatory for the MSF. I always knew it was HIGHLY recommended to take it. Im glad they did that though.
Mizono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #6
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

It went into effect on Oct. 1, 2009 - I went in on Oct. 6 and walked away really upset.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #7
MrBrownTX
ninjette.org member

Name: Brown

Motorcycle(s): 1995 Ninja EX250

Great info, thanks for clearing that up guys. I better get registerd for the class. It is definitely a good system that way, I can't really argue against it.

I was able to get insurance, tag, and title with out a lic though. All of those offices were willing to take my money.
MrBrownTX is offline   Reply With Quote