ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 22nd, 2012, 11:55 AM   #1
islander
ninjette.org member

Name: Rod

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250 Candy Lime Green

Neutral Light

Hi, Just picked up my brand new 2012 yesterday. On the ride home, when
I tried to shift from neutral, at a stop, into first gear, 50% of the time, the neutral light would go out, but I would still be in neutral. I would have to try
to put it in first gear again, then it would go in. Is this normal?
islander is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:20 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

No, it's not normal. Either the shift lever needs to be adjusted, or there is something wonky with the neutral sensor.

/moved to new-gen tech

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:40 PM   #3
oreX
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2013 636 - ABS

It happened to me all the time when I first got my bike. It stopped after I did the first service. During those first few hundred miles I got tired of people honking at me and being thoroughly embarrassed at every other red light so I left the bike in first with the clutch pulled. It was a pain in the a** to get it to go into first from neutral. Id usually double check every 15 seconds or so by testing the friction zone to ensure that I was still in gear, but thats just me.

I believe the issue is caused by the gears not lining up all the way or something, but i'm no mechanic. When this happens roll the bike back/forward a little and try again. Try to make sure that you are downshifting into first while decelerating so that you are actually in first by the time you stop. Also, avoid slamming down on the clutch lever as it should take very little effort to change gears. I took her to an empty parking lot and just practiced taking off from a start. Give it a few weeks of commuting or just riding daily and you'll be pretty darn good at it.

Now Im usually in neutral at red lights after a car stops up behind me and have no issues getting the bike into first.
oreX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:49 PM   #4
islander
ninjette.org member

I know. That's what happens. I put it in neutral at a stop light, then the light turns green, I put it in first, the neutral light goes out, I turn the throttle and all that happens is the engine revs, and I don't go anywhere and cars start honking.
Did they adjust something at your first service? It works fine now?

Old March 22nd, 2012, 07:55 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

It sounds like you're not putting it all the way into first. From neutral, clutch lever is out. Pull clutch lever all the way in, push shifter down firmly and you'll hear a clunk. Let out the clutch slowly and you should be on your way. If you're doing that, and that's not happening, the shift lever needs to be adjusted.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:02 PM   #6
islander
ninjette.org member

I do that. Sometimes it slides into first with a light touch, no sound or click,
sometimes I bang on it with my boot out of frustration and it still doesn't go in gear. It always goes in the second time I try it, and the neutral light always goes out whether it is in gear or not.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:06 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

No banging. It will bend the shift forks, and nothing gets better after that. Are you shifting it in and out of first without letting the clutch out when it is in neutral?

Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:14 PM   #8
oreX
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2013 636 - ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by islander View Post
I know. That's what happens. I put it in neutral at a stop light, then the light turns green, I put it in first, the neutral light goes out, I turn the throttle and all that happens is the engine revs, and I don't go anywhere and cars start honking.
Did they adjust something at your first service? It works fine now?
Yeah, I was given the option of just a strait oil change or an overall first service inspection where they go through things like clutch cable play, chain adjustment, tire pressure, etc. They did mark down that the clutch cable was a little off and adjusted that for me. I would try that first. Also, rocking the bike back and forth a little always seemed to let me pop it into gear. You can also avoid some honking by putting it into gear a few moments before the light goes green. I usually pay attention to the cross streets and pop it into first when the other lights start turning amber.
oreX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:16 PM   #9
islander
ninjette.org member

I'll stop the banging.
All I do is, when I'm in neutral, with the neutral light on, I pull in the clutch,
tap the shift lever down with my toe, the neutral light goes out, so I think it's in gear, I let the clutch out and nothing happens. The engine starts to rev and I don't go anywhere. So I pull in the clutch, tap the shift lever again and it goes into gear.