ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 3rd, 2013, 01:01 PM   #1
bagtf3
ninjette.org member

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): '06 GSXR 1K, '03 YZ450F, 95 EX250

Probably a bad idea, but...

Hey everyone. I am kind of new here. I recently acquired a 95 ninja 250 (im calling it the quarter liter for now until I can think of a better nickname.) It's going to be a medium-term track bike build. When I build things, I take my time and try to be as creative/ingenious/awesome as possible so I don't expect it to be done anytime soon.

On my dirt bikes, I rigged up a jig that bolts to the frame and mounts on an automotive engine stand. It's perfect for keeping the bike off the floor when the tires are off and when I have to do any work. Stage 1 of my build is stripping the bike down to bare frame and working my way back up with newer, more awesome stuff. I am kicking around the idea of fabbing something similar for the 250. Will the Ninja frame support the weight of itself plus the engine on a stand like this? The last thing I want to do is bend, rip, destroy the frame... but this would make it sooooo much easy to strip the bike, mount new suspension, tires, etc... basically doing anything to the bike would be easier on the stand.

What you guys think? The Ninja frame robust enough to support its own weight? Using the engine block mount the stand came with, I can get 2 bolts through the engine-to-frame mounts front and rear, one bolt in the tab that holds the coils near the radiator, then bolt a pipe in to rest sub frame on.

Horrible idea?
bagtf3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2013, 03:28 PM   #2
vanman69
ninjette.org member

Name: jet

Motorcycle(s): zzr250 gt650r zxr250 ninja 300

sounds like a top idea to me
vanman69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2013, 04:28 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagtf3 View Post
.........Will the Ninja frame support the weight of itself plus the engine on a stand like this?......
The engine act as a member of the frame.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2013, 07:25 PM   #4
bagtf3
ninjette.org member

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): '06 GSXR 1K, '03 YZ450F, 95 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
The engine act as a member of the frame.
Yeah I have noticed the frame times into the engine block and uses it for strength. I couldn't imagine there being any issues with hanging it from an stand. I will give it a shot tomorrow.
bagtf3 is offline   Reply With Quote