ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old February 4th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #1
maxedpenny
Don't Be Evil!

Name: Miles

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

My Winter Project

I am starting a thread to show the work I am doing to my bike before spring. Heres my story.
At about 500 miles I locked up my front tire in a panic stop and low sided on the right side of my bike. The signal sheered off like it is designed so it only had some rash.
At about 1000 miles a kid flew out of his parking spot at my high school and knocked me down on my left side. The blinker punched through and gave me a few scuffs. I also got caught between the tank and the ground putting a quarter sized dent in my tank from my belt. His insurance paid $2400 for the damage.
I went the rest of the year without fixing any of the damage.(Now at 5500 miles) I want to keep you updated on my progress.
My to do list is:

Repair all scratches in plastics
Get bike painted
Install Yoshi CF Full System (Purchased)
HIDs (5300k)
LED Break Light and Flasher

Heres my before(This was after the damage):
maxedpenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2009, 07:23 PM   #2
Trozza
ninjette.org member

Name: Troy

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

geezzz, I think the riding gods don't want you on a bike, if I had that many accidents in such a short period of time I'd be going back to a car. lol.

If your getting the bike painted are you going a different colour?
Trozza is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #3
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Miles - if I remember right from my year in Wilbur, MN back in 1998 you get to see the ground in late May or early June right? Plenty of time for your to-do list.

Old February 4th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #4
maxedpenny
Don't Be Evil!

I got my bike in April of last year and got about 2 days of riding in before getting 4 or 5 in of snow But Ill prob start taking it out a little bit in April and by May it will be all I'm driving.

Ya they happened fast. But neither were very serious. My low side was at 10 MPHish and the other was less than 5. But I have been accident free for the last 4500 miles. Not even a close call.

I have the bike 100% naked right now and am all most done repairing the fairings. I will post pics tonight still of how they are turning out. I am using a soldering iron to melt the pieces together than abs cement as a glue/body filler to smooth it all out.

I love the black but I think if I am doing a custom paint job I should get a non oem color. Im thinking a very very dark gun metal. If anyone has photoshop skills I would love to see this. What do you guys think about a color?

Old February 4th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #5
kazam58
Sarcasm: Yea that'll work

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

if you're going for the stealth mean machine look, a really dark gun metal would look awesome. Only I don't know how that would go with the stock black wheels because it'd be like they almost match, but not quite.
I'm glad to hear you're okay too, being down twice in such a short span of time.
kazam58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #6
grandmaster
ninjette.org member

Name: Levi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, CR125R

I think just a plain gunmetal grey that is sparkley would be killer! You doing the painting or is someone doing it for you? I think I might take mine off and wet sand everything down and paint mine as well....but not for quite some time!
grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #7
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

find me the shade you want and I'll get it for you
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #8
maxedpenny
Don't Be Evil!

I attend a technical college half the day then have regular high school. The body shop dept. said they would gladly do it for me! All I got to pay is for paint and materials. They charge you what they pay for the paint so its going to be very cheap. Like 50-75 bucks
In your guys oppinon is a custom painted bike worth more than a OEM one?

As for the color I like how the paint looks by the bottom of the door in this pic:

Thank you every one for the input.

noche: I would love to see it in this color. Thank you so much.

kazam58: I love the stealth look. Good point on the wheels. According to colorrite the wheels use the same ebony black that the 08s use. I found that intresting.

Old February 4th, 2009, 09:00 PM   #9
noche_caliente

here you go - from blue to gunmetal

Attached Images
File Type: jpg gunmetal copy.jpg (52.3 KB, 349 views)

Old February 4th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #10
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

That would be a nice look. Maybe some accent pin stripes or accents.

Old February 4th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #11
maxedpenny
Don't Be Evil!

That looks great. I am going to have trouble deciding. I would be afraid that after it was done I would like the black more. But I think that would look so sweet reflecting in the sun.
Here are some pics of my fairing progress. The close up of the turn signal hole is the one that was punched out. You can see the line where it broke but you cant feel it at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2040148.jpg (51.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg P2040153.jpg (62.0 KB, 33 views)

Old February 4th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #12
Trozza
ninjette.org member

Name: Troy

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Yeah, gun metal would look good I recons. As for a custom paint job, whenever I see a bike with custom paint I automatically think its been dropped and probably has some damage so I'm less inclined to purchase. But I dunno, depends a lot on who your marketing the bike towards.
Trozza is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #13
grandmaster
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxedpenny View Post
I attend a technical college half the day then have regular high school. The body shop dept. said they would gladly do it for me! All I got to pay is for paint and materials. They charge you what they pay for the paint so its going to be very cheap. Like 50-75 bucks
In your guys oppinon is a custom painted bike worth more than a OEM one?
I was in the auto collision repair and refinishing when I was in high school. I painted the hood, fender flares, bumper on my jeep. As well as a fender for a teacher, bumper for my cousin, and air brushed an eagle on someones tale gate, I think i have a pix on my phone that I will try and get up. I ended up winning 2nd in state for the refinishing catagory.

But what I was gonna say is don't be fooled. There are a lot more "hidden fees" (tack rag, paint booth fee, filters, paint, clear coat, primer, wet sand paper, final clean, flex agent) and thats about all I can think of right now.

Some of it the shop will supply for you, but you might want to get the bill before you commit because they will charge you for all of that. I would sand down the whole fairing with 800 grit wet sand paper, possibly prime and etch coat the whole thing then wet sand it again. Use a block when you do it otherwise it will show the marks in between your fingers where there was no pressure.

Flex agent will HAVE TO be used because it is plastic and plastic easily bends and can be manipulated, if you don't use it your paint will crack! (ask me how I know)

As far as paint goes there are several choices. Single stage- the cheapest and still looks decent, wont last as long and doesn't have a "really glossy look" (has the clear coat in it). 2 stage- base coat/clear coat is a quality paint and has a great shine! Looks good and lasts a long time (what I would recommend) And 3 stage...which I wouldn't worry about unless you want to spend lotsa' money.

Regardless get a quality brand of paint, I only shoot with dupont and everything they make. Single stage is harder to spray then a 2 stage paint. Make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing when they are painting or you will get uneven coverage, runs, orange peel, pits and all that good stuff. also remember that paint is more expensive based on the color as well. White paint is the cheapest, the red paint i bought for my jeep ( 1 qt) was 120 bucks! My guess is for the fairings you will only need one pint of paint to do 2-3 coats. When you dolute one pint you will get 1 qt of paint.

Old February 5th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #14
kazam58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trozza View Post
depends a lot on who your marketing the bike towards.
Well I'm going to make an assumption and say he's marketing it towards himself since he's taking the time to paint it himself and put money in it
And I have to say that I also take back my comment on the wheels after seeing noche's photoshop, it looks good. I'd go for it if I were you (and I had the time)

Old February 5th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #15
maxedpenny
Don't Be Evil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazam58 View Post
Well I'm going to make an assumption and say he's marketing it towards himself since he's taking the time to paint it himself and put money in it
And I have to say that I also take back my comment on the wheels after seeing noche's photoshop, it looks good. I'd go for it if I were you (and I had the time)
Ya I have no plans to sell it. But 10 years down the road I dont want to find out its worth poop because of a new paint job.

Old February 5th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #16
kazam58

haha. I really doubt that's the case. Just be honest when you sell it, tell them it was down and that it was very minor. Or you could keep it till it croaks...

Old February 9th, 2009, 08:32 AM   #17
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

I think if you wanted to do something flashy and stand out like a kawi green bike check out the orange color of a Porche 911 gt3 rs. With the various black pieces on the bike it would look so nice. Not really stealth but so nice nonetheless.
Posted via Mobile Device
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #18
maxedpenny
Don't Be Evil!

I received my HID and taillight. I went with 5000k. I will post up some pics of the taillight soon.

Old February 16th, 2009, 08:03 AM   #19
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Oorb View Post
I think if you wanted to do something flashy and stand out like a kawi green bike check out the orange color of a Porche 911 gt3 rs. With the various black pieces on the bike it would look so nice. Not really stealth but so nice nonetheless.
Posted via Mobile Device
Did you see this in my other post?
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #20
maxedpenny
Don't Be Evil!

Ya I did. I also think orange would look great. But I really enjoy the stealthy look. Grrr. I really need to decide.

Old February 16th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #21
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

I'm very partial to white. I think it really only looks good on bikes. If I ever needed to repaint or had the chance I would go with white.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #22
maxedpenny
Don't Be Evil!

Heres some pics of the bulb. Both of these pics are of the new bulb. I would say it is about the same brightness as the stock bulb. Today I am getting some serious jetting done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2160242.jpg (63.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg P2160241.jpg (74.2 KB, 15 views)

Old February 16th, 2009, 01:27 PM   #23
noche_caliente

Miles,
Which bulb was that replacement?

Old February 16th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #24
maxedpenny
Don't Be Evil!

I ended up purchaseing a 32 LED tail light bulb from autolumination BUT DO NOT ORDER FROM THEM!!!! THEY ARE A COMPANY THAT DOES NOT STAND BEHEIND THERE PRODUCT! BEWARE
The bulb was THE MATRIX II LED BULB. It was $12.
I would have bought it from dealextreme if I had known they had it.

Last futzed with by maxedpenny; February 25th, 2009 at 09:59 PM.

Old February 16th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #25
Ninja007
忍者

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): None Now - Used to have an '08 Ninja 250R Candy Blue

hows the installation on the rear light bulb? did you have to tear the whole back end apart? I like the brightness of the aftermarket bulb. anything to make yourself more visible, ya know?
Ninja007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2009, 11:39 PM   #26
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja007 View Post
hows the installation on the rear light bulb? did you have to tear the whole back end apart? I like the brightness of the aftermarket bulb. anything to make yourself more visible, ya know?
Just remove your passenger seat or cowl, then grab the light socket and twist
No tools needed : ) Bulb comes out the backside of the light inside tool kit area .

Last futzed with by CRXTrek; February 17th, 2009 at 12:36 AM. Reason: More detailed answer
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #27
grandmaster
ninjette.org member

You don't even have to do that do ya? just remove the two screws on light cover and the bulb is right there....could be wrong though.

Old February 17th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #28
maxedpenny
Don't Be Evil!

All you have to do is take off the back seat and untwist the light socket. Takes like 10 secs.

Old February 18th, 2009, 12:05 AM   #29
hieuster
ninjette.org member

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

What color did you buy for the rear light bulb?
hieuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2009, 12:48 AM   #30
maxedpenny
Don't Be Evil!

I got red.
I would buy them from here. But Shipping will take about two weeks.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5041
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3845
Free shipping. I buy tons of stuff on this site. I wish I would have seen these before I ordered. You get two for the price I paid for one

Old February 23rd, 2009, 03:51 PM   #31
Buffalony

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Oorb View Post
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeeaaapp a really hot candy metallic orange + all black accents. nothing chrome.
can some one photo shop that
Buffalony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #32
maxedpenny
Don't Be Evil!

New Levers came in today! I got a set on eBay for 16 shipped. They ae for a 07 but it does appear that they will bolt right on. I have not been able to install them yet but will post back when I do.

Old February 25th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #33
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxedpenny View Post
They ae for a 07 but it does appear that they will bolt right on. I have not been able to install them yet but will post back when I do.
I doubt they do, but here's hoping!
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2009, 10:17 PM   #34
maxedpenny
Don't Be Evil!

They look all most identical. Otherwise I will make mill/drill/mod them so that they work. Some ebay auctions listed levers for 86-07 and some went to 08. So I feel they should be compatible.

Old February 25th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #35
kkim

Like I said, I hope they do fit, but based on clutch and brake lever discussions that were started back about a year ago, it was found the levers were not interchangeable at that time. I hope the levers are a bit different and they will indeed work. Please keep us informed of the results.

Old February 25th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #36
maxedpenny
Don't Be Evil!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Like I said, I hope they do fit, but based on clutch and brake lever discussions that were started back about a year ago, it was found the levers were not interchangeable at that time. I hope the levers are a bit different and they will indeed work. Please keep us informed of the results.
Thanks for the support. I hope they will work. I will post again tommrow with my findings.

Old February 25th, 2009, 10:28 PM   #37
kkim

cool... thanks!

Old February 28th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #38
noche_caliente

so did they work?

Old March 1st, 2009, 10:20 PM   #39
maxedpenny
Don't Be Evil!

Sorry. I was swamped this weekend. I had two papers to write
I just tested the fit and the clutch fits perfectly. The brake has one small difference that I took a few pics of.
The first pic shows the differences between the brake levers. The one on the right is stock. The area that the bolt goes through is about 1/4 thinker on the new levers.
At school tommrow I will mill that off and check the fitment again.
Also I threw in a pic of my new and old clutch levers. The new one has bumps for my fingers!!!

I am getting so excited for riding season! I need to get my fairings done
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3010249.jpg (61.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg P3010248.jpg (128.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg P3010250.jpg (48.2 KB, 6 views)

Old March 2nd, 2009, 09:29 AM   #40
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

nice thread - keep it up
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote