ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old August 13th, 2012, 01:46 AM   #1
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Question Computer Weirdness

So, many video editing programs don't work on my computer, they kinda just stopped working for no reason. Power Director 10 stopped working, Sony Vegas crashes intermittently and I could not even get GoPro Cineform to open. So I installed a fresh copy of windows on my second HDD solely for the purpose of editing videos. I installed all my same drivers and whatnot and guess what, all the editing programs work. WTF right!? Wtf is possibly preventing these from working on my original windows 7 side.

PD and GoPro won't even open, Sony Vegas is unreliable and the only thing that works 100% (Still has a very occasional crash) is windows movie maker. What the hell.... Help me!
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2012, 02:08 AM   #2
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

maybe a trojan or worm etc?...is your anti-virus patches up to date?

Old August 13th, 2012, 02:27 AM   #3
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Yep, scans show its clean
AFM #676

Old August 13th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #4
Gorilla25
Dakine...

hmm...on your other HDD, the one that the programs are funky...try doing a roll back to when you knew those programs ran how it supposed to.

Old August 13th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla25 View Post
hmm...on your other HDD, the one that the programs are funky...try doing a roll back to when you knew those programs ran how it supposed to.
That was like a month after I built it. I'm not even sure if I have a restore point from that far back. That will "erase" everything I've installed since the. Right?
AFM #676

Old August 13th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #6
Gorilla25
Dakine...

yes, it will erase it all, unless you save it before you do the restore...damn..i need some time to think..will try to get back to you later tonight

Old August 13th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #7
Sinister
nub

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): '08 zx-14

Trying to troubleshoot something like that through forums is.. unlikely... at best. But off the top of my head:

Fresh install eliminates most hardware based issues, except for the possibility of a failing hard drive on your original install with the problems.

Software wise it's a laundry list of possibilities:

-Video card drivers. If you don't have the latest, install them and see if anything changes. If you have the latest already, remove them and install a slightly older version and see if the problems persist.

-Directx. Not many problems here anymore, but making sure nothing is corrupt is a good idea. Reinstall to be safe

-Codecs. See whats on the system and what the defaults are on the codecs. Pulling then one by one might yield a result

-Virus/malware. I'd suggest at least 4 different programs to cover all your bases. Something like Avast with a bitdefender online scan to back it up and malwarebytes followed superantispyware (stupid name, but the software works). Following all those up with a HijackThis scan is also a good idea.

-Corrupt cache files/reg entries. CCleaner is decent for cleaning things automatically if you aren't confortable doing it manually.

Overall i'd lean towards bad sectors on your original HD as my first guess and what i would personally test first. Download the testing software for whatever brand it is (western digital, seagate, maxtor etc etc) They all have the software readily available on their respective websites.

GL on getting it sorted.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #8
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
The main hard drive is an SSD.

Video cards I'm good, Directx I'm good. Codecs, I went through this before uninstalling and reinstalling them, it didn't help.

Here's what I went through to try to get PD working

https://membership.cyberlink.com/pro...934588c5b4b6ca

I went through those steps and it started working again, then the next day the problem persisted and PD would no longer even start. It gets to its splash screen and stops. So then I tried what they told me again

https://membership.cyberlink.com/pro...934588c5b4b6ca

And still no luck

What's weird is its only video editing programs that are having issues, gaming web browsing everything else is unaffected, yet PD and GoPro Cineform fail to even start

I'm trying out the software you've recommended so we'll see
AFM #676

Old August 13th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #9
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

sounds like u need to bite the bullet and reformat. you have probably had a virus in the past that has messed with the stability of your system when it got removed.

Old August 13th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #10
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oxSin View Post
sounds like u need to bite the bullet and reformat. you have probably had a virus in the past that has messed with the stability of your system when it got removed.
It doesn't have to be a virus. Sometimes data corruption just happens. What's the make of your ssd? Some are just unreliable. Make sure you're using the vendor's utilities for garbage collection, etc to keep the drive running smooth.

Old August 13th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #11
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
if nothing else changed since when it was working to when its not working, theres two possible causes. hardware failure or malicious software (whether intentional or not)

i think its safe to assume you arent retarded and dont have a ton of viruses. which means your ram is probably got a few bits off or your hard drive is on its way out. anyway one of your codecs is probably ****ed just enough to cook the goose. run memtest86, your harddrive manufacturers hardware diagnostics tests, run a software disk scan (chkdsk) then when you still havent figured it out go buy a second hard drive, set it up on raid 1 with a good intel raid card, reinstall everything on your machine, then 2 years down the road insteaad of running into the problem again you get warned by your nice raid card that you lost data and it was automatically repaired but you need to replace your ****ed up hard drive.

tl;dr: noob.

Old August 13th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #12
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

What cynical said, I use to own 2 computer shops, so I tend to give easy answers that don't fluster a custo, sorry. I still haven't played with the ssd's I don't like the price to performance ratio, I would rather spend the extra cash on something that will greatly improve performance rather then seek and boot times.
Posted via Mobile Device
7oxSin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #13
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
In all of my virus scans I've ever done on this rig I've never found any malicious items, so by that logic if a virus was causing this it would still be on here and is completely untraceable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
It doesn't have to be a virus. Sometimes data corruption just happens. What's the make of your ssd? Some are just unreliable. Make sure you're using the vendor's utilities for garbage collection, etc to keep the drive running smooth.
Definitely, I had 2 HDDs get corrupted in my laptop, not sure if it was heat or something but I slapped an SSD in it and haven't had any problems yet! Same maker of the SSD and all these programs work on my laptop but not the SSD side of my desktop.

It didn't come with a disc for any utilities so I'll have to check their website to see if there is anything on there. Maker is OCZ Agility

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
if nothing else changed since when it was working to when its not working, theres two possible causes. hardware failure or malicious software (whether intentional or not)

i think its safe to assume you arent retarded and dont have a ton of viruses. which means your ram is probably got a few bits off or your hard drive is on its way out. anyway one of your codecs is probably ****ed just enough to cook the goose. run memtest86, your harddrive manufacturers hardware diagnostics tests, run a software disk scan (chkdsk) then when you still havent figured it out go buy a second hard drive, set it up on raid 1 with a good intel raid card, reinstall everything on your machine, then 2 years down the road insteaad of running into the problem again you get warned by your nice raid card that you lost data and it was automatically repaired but you need to replace your ****ed up hard drive.

tl;dr: noob.
Basically I have OS and programs on the SSD and media and everything else on my HDD. Losing programs is not that big of a deal but maybe I'll get one for my media side. A raid card basically has 2 copies of all data right?

Quote:
What cynical said, I use to own 2 computer shops, so I tend to give easy answers that don't fluster a custo, sorry. I still haven't played with the ssd's I don't like the price to performance ratio, I would rather spend the extra cash on something that will greatly improve performance rather then seek and boot times.
Posted via Mobile Device
The instantenous access to programs and 8 second boot time are really nice. I'm running one 128gb SSD and one terabyte HDD, programs on SSD everyhing else on HDD. It's a gaming rig and the SSD helps immensely with load times

Oh and I doubt this means anything but I can boot all the editing programs while on my HDD from my SSD and they work fine
AFM #676

Old August 13th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #14
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Ran chkdsk on my SSD and I got all excited when it said it found and fixed some problems! Then I checked the details and it said it found some free space marked as allocated and windows made corrections -_- yay....
AFM #676

Old August 13th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #15
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

I have a 60GB Agility II as my desktop system drive. You'll want to get the utilities from OCZ and run it once a month. Make sure your bios is up to date also. People have had trouble with my drive. I was surprised to see as many bad reviews as I have, but mine has been fine.

Old August 13th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #16
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I have the Agility 3, currently running in 3 different computers and I've never had an issue with it. When you say utility do you mean the firmware updater?
AFM #676

Old August 13th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #17
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

bro. sometimes you gotta lay er down and sometimes you gotta format. you have to format, there is no other way
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2012, 08:16 AM   #18
Sinister
nub

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): '08 zx-14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
bro. sometimes you gotta lay er down and sometimes you gotta format. you have to format, there is no other way
+1 Would lol again.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #19
AznJoJo
ninjette.org Bunny

Name: Jojo

Motorcycle(s): none, cuz i'm a loser.

I think your video card is having a hardware fault. If reformatting doesn't work, try swapping your vid card.
AznJoJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #20
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznJoJo View Post
I think your video card is having a hardware fault. If reformatting doesn't work, try swapping your vid card.
I have 2 cards and the editing programs work perfectly fine when I boot off of the HDD so I don't think it could be a hardware issue
AFM #676

Old August 14th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #21
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

How much space is currently on the SSD? Usually, when you use video editing software, it requires a certain amount of free space. I saw you wrote:

Quote:
Oh and I doubt this means anything but I can boot all the editing programs while on my HDD from my SSD and they work fine
Are you certain you're using the apps from the SSD? If you are using a shortcut that is on your SSD, it may be pointing to C:\....video editor. In which case, the software is not actually loading from your SSD, but your HDD.

Does your SSD support TRIM? Was it set to AHCI in the BIOS when you imaged it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM

When you open your video editor, where do you store the temp files?

Old August 14th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #22
ebrammer252
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '01 Ninja 250

I vote for a clean wipe and start over, best way IMO.
ebrammer252 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #23
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
How much space is currently on the SSD? Usually, when you use video editing software, it requires a certain amount of free space. I saw you wrote:

Are you certain you're using the apps from the SSD? If you are using a shortcut that is on your SSD, it may be pointing to C:\....video editor. In which case, the software is not actually loading from your SSD, but your HDD.

Does your SSD support TRIM? Was it set to AHCI in the BIOS when you imaged it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM

When you open your video editor, where do you store the temp files?
I copied the shortcut from my SSD desktop and then pointed it to the SSD which is Drive E: so I'm positive it loaded from the SSD.

It supports TRIM though I have no idea what that does. Idk what AHCI is either. I built this computer in March so everything was new. I slapped everything together stuck in my win7 pro disc and installed win7 on it. I don't recall if I specifically set anything up for it.

I didn't make any changes to temp files so they are likely stored in whatever default folder holds them

My SSD currently has 25gb of free space out of 111gb
AFM #676

Old August 14th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #24
EvilPooMonkey
ninjette.org guru

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 :)

maybe if you weren't such a damned computer noob... just sayin!
EvilPooMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #25
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Oh yeah? Well maybe your face!
AFM #676

Old August 14th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #26
ninjagaiden09
ninjette.org member

Name: Mel

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r

Go to task manager ? Maybe there is a program or dll that's running on the background that's preventing your video editing program to launch. Or better yet do you remember when was the last time when it was working? you can do a system restore that's if you have it enable.
ninjagaiden09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #27
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
It was quite a while ago, like less than a month after I built my computer. I don't see anything funky in my task manager that would prevent it, but then again I don't even know what to look for. What would possibly do that?
AFM #676

Old August 14th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #28
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Copy what's in your task manager on paper from your SSD and compare it with the one booted from your HDD. If you find a discrepancy, that might be it.

Old August 14th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #29
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Will try it, and then kill all the extra processes and then I'll report my failure here
AFM #676

Old August 14th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #30
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

You can also download Process Explorer to help determine what's happening when you try to open the video editor. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb896653

Another thing you might want to check out is the Event Viewer. Go to your "Computer" icon, Right click > Manage > Event Viewer > Windows Logs > Application

Look for big white Exclamation points on a red circle.

Old August 14th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #31
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
A weirdness has happened. After opening process explorer power director now works.... DAFUQ!? I didn't change anything at all, I just have process explorer open and now its working. How ****ing bizarre is that??? The program literally crashed 2 minutes ago and wouldn't open and now its opening.

WHAT SORCERY IS THIS!?
AFM #676

Old August 14th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #32
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Oop, false alarm, its back to crashing -_-
AFM #676

Old August 15th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #33
EvilPooMonkey
ninjette.org guru

no one wants to watch your videos anyway! delete your c drive. just kidding. not about the first part. but seriously this has always worked for me. totally delete the installations of whatever program is acting up. then go bit torrent a version you know for a fact you didn't have the first time. for me a lot of problems have been from installation files and incorrect updates so when i go get a brand new installation file it corrects the stupid ****. i know it seem sa little simple but sometimes KISS works. worth a shot...COMPUTER NOOB!

Old August 15th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #34
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
OMG I can't believe I didn't think to uninstall and reinstall!

Oh wait thats the first thing I did....
AFM #676

Old August 15th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #35
EvilPooMonkey
ninjette.org guru

NO NO NO not reinstall. reinstall a DIFFERENT file. i had a similiar thing happen when i had PS8 elements and upgraded to CS5. i installed cs5 and then 8 and cs5 both stoppped working. the only way i got it to work was to go find a DIFFERENT install file of cs5. once i did that 8 and cs5 worked fine.

Old August 15th, 2012, 04:37 PM   #36
EvilPooMonkey
ninjette.org guru

and on that note if you are still having that much trouble with it this long it may be worth a look at reinstalling your OS. back your **** up and do a flat out reinstall of windows. i just did a fresh reinstall of 7 on my desktop and it fixed a lot of bugs i was having.

Old August 15th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #37
EvilPooMonkey
ninjette.org guru

Porn destroys video editing programs