ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 29th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #1
HorizonXP
ninjette.org member

Name: X

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 SE Lime Green/Diablo Black

Let's talk tires again (2011 updates)

So I just finished a massive road trip from Toronto to Deal's Gap, packing on 4000+ km on my bike and tires. Got rid of the squareness of my tires in the twisties, only to get it back on the ride home.

My tires are pretty worn, they probably have another 2-3000 km on them left, if that. I was glad to have the BT-016s in the Gap, as I'm sure the extra grip was helpful.

I'm now thinking about what to replace these tires with. I've had great experience with these Bridgestones, and for the price, I should just stick with these.

Or should I? The Michelin Pilot Road 2s got rave reviews, and apparently, the 3s are even better. They're available in a 150 rear. But they're a sport touring tire, with harder compounds. They're also more expensive. However, they should last longer... but how long? 12,000 km (7,500 mi) is quite a bit for motorcycle tires as it is. Anyone think that the Michelins would be that much better and long lasting to justify the additional costs?

Or are there other tires I should or can be looking at? Suggestions, advice, and opinions are welcome!
HorizonXP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2011, 04:57 AM   #2
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

GT501....in my opinion, best tire out there for the ninja250. Lasts a long time, and sticks like glue.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2011, 07:22 AM   #3
HorizonXP
ninjette.org member

Name: X

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 SE Lime Green/Diablo Black

That may be true for bias-ply tires, but unfortunately, the best tires are radial. So I would prefer radial tires.
HorizonXP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2011, 07:40 AM   #4
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

my bt-016's are starting to square off and I've only got about 3000km on them

Don't get me wrong, I love how they make the bike feel in the corners, I was just expecting to get a little more out of them since they are supposed to be a dual compound tire. Am just looking at the PR3s now, and altho they have a 150 rear it's a 70 series not a 60, so it'll likely get pinched on the wheel. Even the PR2's don't come in the 150/60
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2011, 07:48 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

The ninjette is way too light to get any of those S/T tires up to their operating temp and load requirements. I wouldn't expect the Pilot Road 2 or 3 to work particularly well on this bike. They do work quite well on my R1200RT, but the mileage isn't great either. I just went through a rear PR3 in 2700 miles, though the fronts last 5000 - 6000 miles.

/thread moved to new-gen tech.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #6
Bols
Norwegian dude

Name: Ole

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 748

Just be sure to get radialtires. It's worth going to 140-150 to get it, and lose some lean angle imo. I have always heard good things about Pirelli, so I went for Pirelli Diablo Rosso. I'm loving them, and now there is a new version of them out too!

Just to clarify, I haven't tried anything besides the IRC and Pirelli ones, but I am so happy with them I will definitely buy them again, just the II version. It's a tire I know works for me and I feel totally comfortable with. Since I live in Bergen aka city of rain, wet performance is of great importance to me, with the Rosso ones instead of Corsa, you get that supersport tire, just with improved wet performance and mileage

Here's a link about the release of the II version: http://blog.compacc.com/2011/05/new-...nd-overview-2/
Bols is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #7
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

Shoulda told me you would be in the neighborhood. We could have gone hunting for my lost turn signals near mud corner.

Old May 31st, 2011, 12:53 AM   #8
ratlab
ratlab

Name: reese

Motorcycle(s): gsxr1000,R3x2,RC390,FZ07,XR100

everybody goes wider at rear-why not 120 on front-tried search but no answer-just got a 250r -after riding big bikes i wouldn't mind slowing down steering a little-any handling problems from 120
ratlab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 04:28 AM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Another vote for Dunlop Arrowmax GT501 tires here. I've ridden 22,500 miles on a few sets of them and my latest are still looking like new with plenty of sticky grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bols View Post
Just be sure to get radialtires. It's worth going to 140-150 to get it, and lose some lean angle imo. I have always heard good things about Pirelli, so I went for Pirelli Diablo Rosso. I'm loving them, and now there is a new version of them out too!

Just to clarify, I haven't tried anything besides the IRC and Pirelli ones, but I am so happy with them I will definitely buy them again, just the II version. It's a tire I know works for me and I feel totally comfortable with. Since I live in Bergen aka city of rain, wet performance is of great importance to me, with the Rosso ones instead of Corsa, you get that supersport tire, just with improved wet performance and mileage

Here's a link about the release of the II version: http://blog.compacc.com/2011/05/new-...nd-overview-2/
What makes it worth it? There is a notable disadvantage to having larger tires and a no notable advantage to having radials on such a light bike.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 06:51 AM   #10
kamikaze

what sizes are you guys running these 501s in, I can't find anything that looks like it would fit

Old June 1st, 2011, 07:14 AM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

110/70/17, 130/70/17

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old June 1st, 2011, 01:58 PM   #12
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
what sizes are you guys running these 501s in, I can't find anything that looks like it would fit
I had been running the OEM GT501 tires buying OEM take offs or buying used (130-70-17 for the rear, 110-70-17 for the front). The OEM size was only available in certain regions at first, like Australia, but it showed up in USA online inventories over a year ago. Should be possible to order the right size.

Old June 1st, 2011, 04:13 PM   #13
Bols
Norwegian dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlab View Post
everybody goes wider at rear-why not 120 on front-tried search but no answer-just got a 250r -after riding big bikes i wouldn't mind slowing down steering a little-any handling problems from 120
I'm using 120/60 front, I don't have any problems with it atleast

Old June 1st, 2011, 06:57 PM   #14
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bols View Post
I'm using 120/60 front, I don't have any problems with it atleast
Did you have to change out the front fender? Ive heard of issues with it fitting.

Old June 1st, 2011, 07:32 PM   #15
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

This thread is relevant to my interests...
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 07:48 PM   #16
Bols
Norwegian dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
Did you have to change out the front fender? Ive heard of issues with it fitting.
No it fits perfectly^^

Old June 1st, 2011, 08:02 PM   #17
areifel
ninjette.org member

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

So, are you guys preferring the 501's to the PR2/3? I am looking to replace my Stock IRC's, which have close to 6,000 miles on them. I don't really care how long they last as long as they offer good dry/wet road performance.
areifel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 08:05 PM   #18
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you gt501 guys, have you tried the sportdemons? i love the hell out of them but am only getting about 7-8k miles on them... need a new rear for the ninja so maybe i'll switch...

Old June 1st, 2011, 08:11 PM   #19
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I like them both, but prefer the sport demons. They have a softer feel to them, and it feels more compliant when leaned over.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 10:09 AM   #20
kamikaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
110/70/17, 130/70/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I had been running the OEM GT501 tires buying OEM take offs or buying used (130-70-17 for the rear, 110-70-17 for the front). The OEM size was only available in certain regions at first, like Australia, but it showed up in USA online inventories over a year ago. Should be possible to order the right size.
They don't even list those sizes on Dunlop's Website

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire..._tire.asp?id=8

edit: nevermind, found them on Motorcycle Superstore & Dennis Kirk

Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:38 AM   #21
BlackNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): '09 2fiddy

I'm concerned with grip, and less worried about tread life. I want to be able to safely drag knees on my 250. I loved Pilot powers on my old Honda Superhawk. How do they work on a light bike like the 250?
BlackNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:56 AM   #22
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
They don't even list those sizes on Dunlop's Website

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire..._tire.asp?id=8

edit: nevermind, found them on Motorcycle Superstore & Dennis Kirk
They're also on www.dunloptyres.com.au and www.dunlopmotorcycle.eu

Old June 2nd, 2011, 12:49 PM   #23
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNinja View Post
I want to be able to safely drag knees on my 250.
Just about any of the recommended tires in this thread will have more than enough grip to lean the bike over to your knee on reasonably pavement. This risk has less to do with the tire's capabilities, and more to do with hitting hard parts on the deck. Leaning over on the left side, the first thing to hit the ground is often the kickstand mount, which is solidly mounted to the frame. It hits, it levers the rear tire off the ground, and the bike is suddenly in the weeds. Ramp up the lean angle gradually to understand where the limits are, but the tires aren't ultimately going to be the limiting factor.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:08 PM   #24
reaperw
ninjette.org member

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Has anyone on here try the michelin pilot activ i was looking at these as i was thinking i am getting new tires soon.I have 15000km on my irc now.So maybe 5000km more km then new tires for me.I have not see any review on these tires
reaperw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:21 PM   #25
bdavison
Wartown, USA

I havent tried the sport demons yet...and honestly, I dont think I will. I like carving twisties mostly, and the gt501 is just the tire for it in my opinion. Surprisingly, they last a while too. Ive got around 4K on mine, and it hasnt even begun to square off or anything....unlike the stock IRC's that squared off after 3400 miles.

Im running a 130/70/17 GT501 on the rear...and I like it a lot. Even in the wet, it performs well. But it really excels once you get it warmed up.

When you first put them on, scrub em in nice and easy, they tend to be slick until you get the mold release off of them. Dunlop will tell you they dont use mold release, but they are full of it.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:07 PM   #26
kamikaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Just about any of the recommended tires in this thread will have more than enough grip to lean the bike over to your knee on reasonably pavement. This risk has less to do with the tire's capabilities, and more to do with hitting hard parts on the deck. Leaning over on the left side, the first thing to hit the ground is often the kickstand mount, which is solidly mounted to the frame. It hits, it levers the rear tire off the ground, and the bike is suddenly in the weeds. Ramp up the lean angle gradually to understand where the limits are, but the tires aren't ultimately going to be the limiting factor.
a little off topic, but will the little rubber feelers on the pegs hit before the more solid parts? I haven't worn them off yet but I feel I gotta be close

Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:33 PM   #27
kkim

Quote:
a little off topic, but will the little rubber feelers on the pegs hit before the more solid parts? I haven't worn them off yet but I feel I gotta be close
yes, if they are in the stock location. if you have rearsets, the kickstand bracket hits first.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:36 PM   #28
kamikaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
yes, if they are in the stock location. if you have rearsets, the kickstand bracket hits first.
still stock, good to know

Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:00 PM   #29
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
I havent tried the sport demons yet...and honestly, I dont think I will. I like carving twisties mostly, and the gt501 is just the tire for it in my opinion. Surprisingly, they last a while too. Ive got around 4K on mine, and it hasnt even begun to square off or anything....unlike the stock IRC's that squared off after 3400 miles.

Im running a 130/70/17 GT501 on the rear...and I like it a lot. Even in the wet, it performs well. But it really excels once you get it warmed up.

When you first put them on, scrub em in nice and easy, they tend to be slick until you get the mold release off of them. Dunlop will tell you they dont use mold release, but they are full of it.
I find them pretty slick when wet, which is my only complaint. There's the story about when I got stuck on a wet cattle guard with no place to put my feet and a free-spinning tire and then there are numerous times when a wet manhole cover or gutter caused a scary slip for me mid-turn. For example, I'd turn off the street and into a parking lot and cross over a tiny bit of water running along the sidewalk that I just crossed (usually from sprinklers up the hill) and my tire would slide out from under me until it hits a dry spot and regains traction. Scary.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:01 PM   #30
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
My boot almost always hits first.

Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:24 PM   #31
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

I have a used set of 501's in my garage. They have 2 weekends at the track and about 1000 miles of road use. Ill sell them if someone wants them. I have BT-16's on and never plan on going back to bias-ply.
Im taking offers via PM. BTW I will ship US only via UPS.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:40 PM   #32
ratlab
ratlab

Name: reese

Motorcycle(s): gsxr1000,R3x2,RC390,FZ07,XR100

anyone with bt-003rs experience-they make a 140 rear and they are a radial
ratlab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2011, 05:54 PM   #33
tac12345
ninjette.org member

Name: Alexandre

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 09 SE

thread relevant to my interest.
tac12345 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2011, 06:18 PM   #34
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlab View Post
anyone with bt-003rs experience-they make a 140 rear and they are a radial
Nice grippy tire, I like these I run the 140 rear.

Old June 3rd, 2011, 06:24 PM   #35
tac12345
ninjette.org member

Name: Alexandre

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 09 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
Nice grippy tire, I like these I run the 140 rear.
how long do they last ? i am reading 3000-3500m on the net, but that's for r1&gsxr1000....etc...
tac12345 is offline   Reply With Quote