ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 18th, 2011, 10:05 PM   #1
HorizonXP
ninjette.org member

Name: X

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 SE Lime Green/Diablo Black

Rear brake touching caliper; pedal issue?

Hey guys,

So I replaced my right rearset due to a crash, and it looks like it's installed correctly. However, the rear brake pads are touching the calipers. I can still push the bike back and forth, so it's not enough to lock the wheels.

1) Do I need to adjust the rear brake pedal position?
2) Do I need to rebleed the brakes?

Another issue is that I have to really push on the brake pedal with my hand to have the brake light turn on. I attached the spring for that switch to the end of the spring that pulls the brake pedal back up. Is this correct?
HorizonXP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2011, 11:03 PM   #2
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorizonXP View Post
Hey guys,

So I replaced my right rearset due to a crash, and it looks like it's installed correctly. However, the rear brake pads are touching the calipers. I can still push the bike back and forth, so it's not enough to lock the wheels.

1) Do I need to adjust the rear brake pedal position?
2) Do I need to rebleed the brakes?

Another issue is that I have to really push on the brake pedal with my hand to have the brake light turn on. I attached the spring for that switch to the end of the spring that pulls the brake pedal back up. Is this correct?
There is some plastic nut that you need to adjust for the brake light so that it comes on at the right pressure. Look at the brake pedal, 1 is connected to the brakes and the other is for the light. It's black and made of plastic. As for the pad touching the rotor, I think it's supposed to "look" like its touching but not actually putting pressure on it until the brake is applied.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2011, 02:21 AM   #3
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I think you mean that the pads are touching the disc. I believe that some drag is normal.

The "caliper" is the enclosure containing the brake pads and pistons. You manual tells you how to adjust the brake light switch.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2011, 04:33 AM   #4
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Sounds like everything is right. Maybe a switch adjustment (what setasai said) should be all you need. But, mine seems to be this way when I try to press it with my hands, but my feet have no issue. So, no bleeding should be necessary. Make sure that you don't have to 'press down really far' for the brake to actually actuate, as this usually means their is air in the line and bleeding will be necessary (and braking will be spongy).
leed is offline   Reply With Quote