ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old August 5th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #1
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

A* GP Plus. Uh oh!

Soooo... I received them yesterday. Wore them for about 15-20 minutes today while running some arrands with my bike just to see how comfy they were. I got home and realized there's a hole already (pretty big too. much larger than the tip of my thumb) on the left glove right next to my palm on the index finger side. This makes me a bit nerveous. Pretty sure Revzilla will exchange no hassle but I'm debating whether I should upgrade to the next model. Getting expensive though

Anyway just thought I'd warn you guys. It might be a freak occurrence but hey...
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #2
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Probably a freak occurrence. It is certainly a bit scary, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Get RevZilla to exchange them.

I have an older model of the A*'s SP-1 that I bought on clearance from RevZilla in March of 2010. I have had no issues with them, and I have worn them for the majority of my riding. I would guess I have used them for about 6,500 miles, almost all of those put on from back roads with constant shifting and mild braking. A small amount of traffic mixed in with some longer 80 mph cruises thrown in.

The gloves have seen plenty of use in varied conditions, most of which has been demanding. The only real wear is on the inside left thumb. I tend to roll my hand forward, causing friction on this area every time I shift.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0054.jpg (39.2 KB, 3 views)

Old August 5th, 2011, 11:50 PM   #3
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Yeah I'm guessing / hoping it's not a common A* problem. I might give this model another chance, come monday.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2011, 12:17 AM   #4
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

I would get them replaced by revzilla. In my experiences with A* products so far they're all pretty well made and of good quality, must be a fluke defect. You definitely do not need to upgrade at all - they're fine gloves. If it really gets down to it I hear their HQ is in Torrance, you could always go bitch them out
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2011, 12:35 AM   #5
HorizonXP
ninjette.org member

Name: X

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 SE Lime Green/Diablo Black

Just because they're expensive, doesn't mean they're any good.

I bought a pair of the Knox Handroids, and I had the seams on my fingers fall apart while riding, less than 3 months after buying the pair. Sadly, I crashed in them on the track after this discovery, meaning I can't claim warranty. Apparently, this is a well-known issue with the Handroids, and I personally know 2 other people with the same problem. And it apparently isn't unheard of on Dainese and A* gloves either.
HorizonXP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2011, 12:52 AM   #6
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorizonXP View Post

I bought a pair of the Knox Handroids, and I had the seams on my fingers fall apart while riding, less than 3 months after buying the pair. Sadly, I crashed in them on the track after this discovery, meaning I can't claim warranty. Apparently, this is a well-known issue with the Handroids, and I personally know 2 other people with the same problem. And it apparently isn't unheard of on Dainese and A* gloves either.
Other than that how did you like the handroids? What exactly is the gimmick about them that sets them apart, or are they basically just another leather gauntlet?
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2011, 01:51 AM   #7
Vegedurden
ninjette.org member

Name: Vege

Motorcycle(s): 2011 ninja 250r

I can second the quality of the SP-1. I've ridden more than 3100 miles with mine, and there's only minor wear to be seen so far.

Very comfortable too.
Vegedurden is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #8
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

You could always check out Held. Helimot may interest you as well. Wish I was in California just so I could check them out in person. I love the A*s lineup but they aren't the only ones in the game.

sportbiketrackgear.com has some good reviews of several brands that have been crash tested in many cases. Check them out.

Old August 6th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #9
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Held
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #10
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorizonXP View Post

I cant ever see that happening Mine are fine and I've already gone down in them. Over 3000 miles and there fine so far

Max there an awesome glove! I love them, they fit amazingly, and have a huge amount of protection. The glove comes on and off just as fast if not faster as my old shortie gloves. When you finally come to a group ride you can play with them. And they look really sweet lol