ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old November 15th, 2023, 10:16 AM   #1
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Macbook Pro M3

My main laptop was getting an appropriate nastygram from Microsoft that it would no longer keep office up to date, and looking into it - that Mac from 2014 was more than 3 major OS versions from current. (Big Sur --> Monterey --> Ventura --> Sonoma). And it would never be able to run Win11 (other than virtually). Hardware-wise it was fine, but after 10 years was probably worth upgrading. I considered some cludges that allow a newer OS installed on older hardware, but it would only be kicking the can slightly.

I got one of the newly released MacbookPro M3's, and it is blindingly fast. I always had a fast desktop and surfed there - not a laptop, as waiting even the smallest amount of time eventually grates on you. The new laptop is faster in some tasks than the desktop, so with an identical monitor and keyboard/mouse setup, it becomes dealer's choice. I quickly got all of the mac side apps installed, got Win 11 Pro running through Parallels, and installed all the GPS software on both sides if I ever have to use this laptop for those gadgets. It runs windows faster than the desktop, booting in a few seconds, and running anything I've thrown at it.

Perhaps last year's model and the one before would have been just as eye-opening, and there is no need for someone with a recent machine (likely apple silicon) to upgrade - but jumping forward 10 years is like coming out of the dark ages.

I also saw that the older Macbook Air 11" machines are going for $100 - $200 on ebay, and are all still completely upgradable. The latest supported OS for the 2015 MBA models is Monterey, which still runs the latest office and is still supported for major security issues. Putting in a 1 TB Samsung SSD + adapter runs a total of < $100, so having a tiny travel machine with plenty of space seemed to make sense as well. I found one on eBay, and had it up and running within a day or two of it showing up at the house. With the apple diagnostics confirming the hardware is a-ok, and a brand-new 1TB SSD, it's going to be plenty for any travel or bike adventures. It is just as fast (or as slow) as the other older laptops in the house, so it no longer would be appropriate as a primary machine for most folks - but it is a fantastic 2nd/travel machine for not a whole lot of cash.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote