ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 General Discussion

Old October 6th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #1
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec, 2007 Ninja 250R

Wink Mounted Her today ;D

I sat on the ninja 300 today. WOW that bike is sick! totally can't wait until i get one. it feels really good. it was like perfect height, I'm 5'7" and i wasn't perfectly flat footed, but i wasn't on my toes either.

although, i asked the guy how much it would be out the door, and he said 7,000! wtf! this can't be right, can it?

Old October 6th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

7000 might be right considering how many people i see on here saying how cali has super inflated motorcycle prices. with some boots you should flat foot it, im 5'6 and flat foot it with my boots on
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #3
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Yeah, the People's Republic of Kalifornia is weird. Drive to an adjacent state and pick one up there.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Not a good plan. Can't bring in a 49-state bike with less than 7500 miles.

Someone picked up a new 300 in southern california for less than $5400 OTD using the costco deal, might be worth looking into. Best non-costco pricing I've seen in california so far is around $5600 OTD. But $7K is the highest I've heard; clearly it's not necessary to pay that much.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #5
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

yea, i went to two dealerships with my pops and i pretty much heard the same thing. they both said that since it's so new, they can't negotiate at all on it. Also, it doesn't help that they only have 2 or 3 in the dealership and have to wait weeks to get another one or two. I'm still saving up so I'm hoping a few months down the road i can talk them down a few hundred.

Old October 6th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #6
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenA View Post
yea, i went to two dealerships with my pops and i pretty much heard the same thing. they both said that since it's so new, they can't negotiate at all on it. Also, it doesn't help that they only have 2 or 3 in the dealership and have to wait weeks to get another one or two. I'm still saving up so I'm hoping a few months down the road i can talk them down a few hundred.
Good plan. Wait it out and save up some cash. Walk in in February (slow sale time for motorcycles for most markets, might be dealer incentives from Kawi) with a couple grand and tell them what you're willing to pay. Be firm, and feel free to walk away from a mediocre ($7,000) deal.

Since the CBR will be a less popular 2nd choice, they might be cheaper... but don't count on it. In a few months, bet you could get a 2012 Ninja 250 leftover for a sweet price...

Old October 6th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #7
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddoak View Post
Good plan. Wait it out and save up some cash. Walk in in February (slow sale time for motorcycles for most markets, might be dealer incentives from Kawi) with a couple grand and tell them what you're willing to pay. Be firm, and feel free to walk away from a mediocre ($7,000) deal.

Since the CBR will be a less popular 2nd choice, they might be cheaper... but don't count on it. In a few months, bet you could get a 2012 Ninja 250 leftover for a sweet price...
thanks

idk, i sat on the cbr 250, didn't like the feel, or how it looks. and idk about the 250r. at one of the dealerships, they were completely out, and at the other one, they had one left. So, I'm not holding my breath for those.

then again, my pops said i should find an old pregen and ride that for a while to get experience n stuff. i get his point, but (no offense to pre-geners out there) pre-gens are ugly

Old October 6th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #8
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

Quote:
then again, my pops said i should find an old pregen and ride that for a while to get experience n stuff. i get his point, but (no offense to pre-geners out there) pre-gens are ugly
It's OK. The Mastergen riders aren't so petty as to get offended over such trivial comments.
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2012, 05:12 PM   #9
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

haha alright cool, but i guess i am getting just a wee bit ahead of myself. I have to get my permit first then my bike, but not sure which route to go though, 250r or 300? hmmm 250 is a bit cheaper and if i fall its not as big of a deal as a dropping a new bike. but dam that 300 is sexy and has great improvements

Old October 6th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #10
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Save a dick load of money and buy used bruh. The chances of you dropping or crashing your first bike within the first year or two are VERY high. Would you want to see a brand new 300 smack the pavement or an ugly pregen? Just something else to think about.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #11
Warstrider
ninjette.org member

Name: Vlad

Motorcycle(s): none yet (deposit for Ninja 300 ABS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Save a dick load of money and buy used bruh. The chances of you dropping or crashing your first bike within the first year or two are VERY high. Would you want to see a brand new 300 smack the pavement or an ugly pregen? Just something else to think about.
Can i get frame sliders to prevent damage to the bike?

Last futzed with by Warstrider; October 7th, 2012 at 12:36 AM.
Warstrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #12
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Yup, I'm def. with Jono here. NO WAY I'd buy a nice, pretty, brand-new bike for my first. I had a pre-gen first bike, and it was perfect. My buddy bought a nicer first bike and dropped it 4 (!) times.

And yes, you can get frame sliders, but: (1) Kawasaki hasn't released them yet, so who knows if they'll be available soon enough to protect your first drop; (2) they don't always keep everything off the ground, and when your bike is PRISTINE, every little scratch feels like a stab to the heart; and (3) you're also likely to low-side, not just drop, and while the slider is likely to help, there virtually zero chance of the bike coming out from a slide with no damage.

I mean, the 300 is a sexy beast, and I'm jazzed all up to get one, so I can understand the feeling; but if you're looking for advice, I'd say it's a heart-breaking way to go!
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #13
Warstrider
ninjette.org member

Name: Vlad

Motorcycle(s): none yet (deposit for Ninja 300 ABS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnr4 View Post
And yes, you can get frame sliders, but: (1) Kawasaki hasn't released them yet, so who knows if they'll be available soon enough to protect your first drop; (2) they don't always keep everything off the ground, and when your bike is PRISTINE, every little scratch feels like a stab to the heart; and (3) you're also likely to low-side, not just drop, and while the slider is likely to help, there virtually zero chance of the bike coming out from a slide with no damage.

I mean, the 300 is a sexy beast, and I'm jazzed all up to get one, so I can understand the feeling; but if you're looking for advice, I'd say it's a heart-breaking way to go!
Thanks, man. I appriciate your advice.
Warstrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2012, 07:28 AM   #14
ChelseaLeigh
ninjette.org member

Name: Chelsea

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Well man thats what I did... looked at all the 250s went and got my permit..got a call about the 300 n fell in love.. it came home 4 days later, but with a WAY lower price tag than 7k... thats just outrageous. But tnr4 is right... it can be a little heartbreaking im more focused on not dropping/scratching it then focusing to learn to ride. hahah working on it tho. good luck!
ChelseaLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2012, 07:40 AM   #15
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
Yup, I'm def. with Jono here. NO WAY I'd buy a nice, pretty, brand-new bike for my first. I had a pre-gen first bike, and it was perfect. My buddy bought a nicer first bike and dropped it 4 (!) times.

couldn't agree more with this post.

i speak from experience.
bought new and crashed and repaired the bike multiple times.

Old October 7th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #16
darkwings
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jasper

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 green/blk ABS

I have an ABS model on hold at my dealer. they have over 10 people on the waiting list so i agreed to MSRP+399 setup+260 DMV fees= 6158 OTD and threw 200$ down to secure the first one as mine. (other people on the list haven't put money down yet.)
this is up in Beaverton, Oregon btw.

I'll get 20% discount on my gear and delivery to my house for "free". all in all seems like a decent deal to me.
darkwings is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #17
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Save a dick load of money and buy used bruh. The chances of you dropping or crashing your first bike within the first year or two are VERY high.
Quote:

Dis.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2012, 02:48 PM   #18
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

A used new-gen 250 is still the ultimate beginner's bike in my opinion. It's cheaper, has just enough power, if you drop it then meh or get used parts to replace it and you can sell it for almost what you paid for it.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #19
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

thanks for all the replies guys. i'm going the ugly bike route haha unless i can find a cheap newgen 250. but gas is now 4.65 a gal(the cheapest around here) so this is gunna kick my ass in the saving department -_-. so its gunna be a while, but I WILL have a bike of my own one day >

Old October 7th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #20
Alienjoe
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 1995 CBR600F3 "The Project"

As "ugly'' as a pregen may be, it has 2 wheels, a motor, a cheap (relatively) price and awesome resale value. I love mine to death and wouldn't have it any other way.

P.S. the pregen is stock for stock quicker then the Newgen 250.

Old October 7th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #21
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alienjoe View Post
As "ugly'' as a pregen may be, it has 2 wheels, a motor, a cheap (relatively) price and awesome resale value. I love mine to death and wouldn't have it any other way.

P.S. the pregen is stock for stock quicker then the Newgen 250.
that's true, and i guess that's all i need for now haha

ORLY, never knew that

Old October 8th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #22
Sapper
MSF Instructor

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300, 2010 Yamaha WR250R, 2008 CBR600RR

Quote:
thanks

idk, i sat on the cbr 250, didn't like the feel, or how it looks. and idk about the 250r. at one of the dealerships, they were completely out, and at the other one, they had one left. So, I'm not holding my breath for those.

Your "pops" is a smart guy. The pregen is definitely the way to go. Pay less than $2000 and sell it for what you pay if you don't crash it. It's your first bike, doesn't have to be your last, who cares if it's ugly?
Sapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #23
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

ye, thats the idea, plus I was exploring ninjette and found a thread or two where someone turned one into a street fighter/naked bike type creation and i was so amazed. so now i'm kinda stoked to get one

Old October 9th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #24
Heed

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

My nearest dealer just got a white 300 in this morning. It's probably owned by somebody already, but at least now I know I can get a written quote OTD, because last time I went, he said he couldn't give me an exact quote since he didn't know the destination and whatever.

I want to go in there and sit on it =(

from their facebook page

Old October 9th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #25
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
My nearest dealer just got a white 300 in this morning. It's probably owned by somebody already, but at least now I know I can get a written quote OTD, because last time I went, he said he couldn't give me an exact quote since he didn't know the destination and whatever.

I want to go in there and sit on it =(

from their facebook page

do it, it feels amazing! sure you can't have it, but you can "see what it tastes like" (quote from Nacho Libre )

Old October 9th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #26
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jo

I sat on a 300 a couple of weeks ago. I am not sure if I'm getting it. I'm waiting to sit on a 636 first. If I don't like the 636 I'm getting the 300. (I know there's a huge difference. I just want to sit on a 636 and see it in person first.)

Old October 9th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #27
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

the 636 IS a dam sexy bike.

Old October 9th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #28
Sapper
MSF Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minikin_Jo View Post

I sat on a 300 a couple of weeks ago. I am not sure if I'm getting it. I'm waiting to sit on a 636 first. If I don't like the 636 I'm getting the 300. (I know there's a huge difference. I just want to sit on a 636 and see it in person first.)
She's really cute, is that the GF?

Old October 9th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #29
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Lol say what?

Old October 9th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #30
Sapper
MSF Instructor

Quote:
Lol say what?
The cute girl on the bike is she your girlfriend or does she work at the dealership or something and you were bein creepy lol

Old October 9th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #31
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

*giggle*

@Sapper that girl is me, @Minikin_Jo

Old October 9th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #32
Sapper
MSF Instructor

Quote:
*giggle*

@Sapper that girl is me, @Minikin_Jo
Oh

Well, uh, my bad

I still have to get used to girls on the forum I am a long time 600RR net guy and its almost ALL guys.

Old October 9th, 2012, 07:58 PM   #33
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Haha that's funny

Old October 9th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #34
Sapper
MSF Instructor

Quote:
Haha that's funny
Can you see how the title mislead me into thinking a guy posted this especially since there are pics of a girl on the bike...like he thought he was being clever putting that pic up and saying "mounted her"

Old October 9th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #35
Sapper
MSF Instructor

Are you going to get a white one to match your zuma?

Oh yeah, iPhones rock

Old October 9th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #36
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

i meant the bike...was supposed to be punny....lol

Old October 10th, 2012, 06:21 AM   #37
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage