ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old March 26th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #1
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

I am a bad motorcyclist.

Having coffee at my favorite coffee shop (CC Motor Coffee Company). Usually, if I arrive late in the afternoon I wait for traffic to subside before heading home. Only today, it starts to rain. And in Portland that can mean it will rain hard, eventually. I didn't have my waterproof bag with me for my iPad. Also, left my water proof pants liners home. Stupid moves this time of year here.

So, rather than risk getting my electronics thoroughly wet, I head out. Normally, I have waited until it rains for at least half an hour, per Proficient Motorcycling book's recommendation. Only if I did that I'd be in the thick of traffic, on wet pavement, with my electronics in a non-waterproof backpack.

Anywho, I'm coming up to a light. I see it is about to turn yellow, and I give the Dew Kitty a little gas to try to get through. Do you see the stupid moves piling up?

So the light turns yellow. I grab the front brake, out of habit, barely remembering to not grab too hard, but then realizing that to stop the bike I will have to apply a little too much front brake for the conditions. Or at least so i thought. So I somehow tell my brain to let up off the front brake, while simultaneously bringing in the rear. Not at all smoothly, mind you. But I managed it.

Well, as I was congratulated myself on my excellent skills the rear locked. I was going pretty slow by now. The rear kicked to the right, then the left a little. I kept it locked. No big deal in the end. In that no crash was performed.

What did I learn? You have to pay attention. All of the time. And THINK about the conditions you're riding in. I got complacent, and it nearly bit me. Also I learned that the back brake locks very easily in the rain. And that you can smell the hot rubber from the slide. Even at a very low speed. Surprising.

I also learned that I am a bad motorcyclist.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old March 26th, 2013, 05:57 PM   #2
cuz
cuz

Name: Israel

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

The thing my dad and uncle keep telling me is to stop/slow down in a yellow and not floor it (twist it).

Glad you got through it

Old March 26th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #3
250rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz View Post
The thing my dad and uncle keep telling me is to stop/slow down in a yellow and not floor it (twist it).

Glad you got through it

Yeah. Speeding up on newly rained-on pavement was another brilliant move.

Old March 26th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #4
mfresh
Knee-dragger in Training

Name: Manny

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R (Sunbeam Red)

Complacency is the number one thing I try to look out for mentally. That **** will get you into an accident.

The goal is to learn from your mistakes and if you fail, you fail forward-- meaning you grow from your experiences.

It's basically the same philosophy I try to ride by. When I catch myself having done something stupid I use it as a marker to know what not to do next time.

All of these "little" things add up to big learning experiences.

Luckily, for me at least, the 250 is a relatively forgiving machine.

A recent example of what I mean by this:

I was approaching a "T" intersection where I was going to be making a right turn. I usually make a complete stop and look to my left to make sure no cars are coming so I can take my right safely.

As I was approaching the intersection I downshifted rather quickly to first and held in the clutch assuming that I would make a complete stop and look to my left as usual.

The road was such that I could rather easily see there were no cars coming from the left as I was approaching the intersection so I did not come to a complete stop but instead decided to just go ahead and take my right turn.

I "dumped" the clutch, having forgotten I was in first, and the bike jerked forward rather violently, which startled me a bit, but it didn't stop me from completing the turn which I did fine.

I realized then I had made a rather large mistake. If I were on a larger bike I could have easily caused the machine to fly right out from under me and drop it.

Newbie mistakes like that are forgiving on the 250 due to the power band (or lack of) as opposed to the larger super sports that can power wheelie in first with a simple flick of the wrist.

This is why I feel the 250 has so much to teach a new rider if they are open and receptive to their own actions and to the behavior of their bike.

Keep your eyes open, your focus in check, and your feel for the bike ever increasing.

Ride safe.

Old March 26th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #5
250rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfresh View Post
Complacency is the number one thing I try to look out for mentally. That **** will get you into an accident.

The goal is to learn from your mistakes and if you fail, you fail forward-- meaning you grow from your experiences.

It's basically the same philosophy I try to ride by. When I catch myself having done something stupid I use it as a marker to know what not to do next time.

All of these "little" things add up to big learning experiences.

Luckily, for me at least, the 250 is a relatively forgiving machine.

A recent example of what I mean by this:

I was approaching a "T" intersection where I was going to be making a right turn. I usually make a complete stop and look to my left to make sure no cars are coming so I can take my right safely.

As I was approaching the intersection I downshifted rather quickly to first and held in the clutch assuming that I would make a complete stop and look to my left as usual.

The road was such that I could rather easily see there were no cars coming from the left as I was approaching the intersection so I did not come to a complete stop but instead decided to just go ahead and take my right turn.

I "dumped" the clutch, having forgotten I was in first, and the bike jerked forward rather violently, which startled me a bit, but it didn't stop me from completing the turn which I did fine.

I realized then I had made a rather large mistake. If I were on a larger bike I could have easily caused the machine to fly right out from under me and drop it.

Newbie mistakes like that are forgiving on the 250 due to the power band (or lack of) as opposed to the larger super sports that can power wheelie in first with a simple flick of the wrist.

This is why I feel the 250 has so much to teach a new rider if they are open and receptive to their own actions and to the behavior of their bike.

Keep your eyes open, your focus in check, and your feel for the bike ever increasing.

Ride safe.
Couldn't agree more. I rode my 250 for a year as a beginner. Could have probably used at least another! However, I will say that the power of the 750 isn't insane. About 62 at the engine. Now, that is far more power than the 250. And i do have to monitor my throttle hand. But it does seem manageable. Among Ducatisti the 750ss is considered very under powered. Almost to the point of being a joke. I think the power is way more than enough for the street, however. I really quite like the bike. I don't need any more power. At least not for now.

What I find most challenging on this bike is the slow speed handling. Long wheelbase = does not like to turn. Especially if turning sharp from take off. I have to concentrate very hard, and go very slowly, to not go wide. On medium speed sweepers it feels absolutely brilliant. But that slow speed stuff is tough, getting better, but tough.

All that said, the bike's exhaust note is something I very much look forward to every time I straddle it. Plus, learning new things is awesome!

Old March 28th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #6
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Locking up the rear on a 250is fun. I skidded mine all around a parking lot one day. I found out the rear of this bike is like a bmx bike so easy to muscle around. Never tried it in the rain...wiith traffic like you though Two thumbs up for not crashing.

I have skidded safely through 2 intersections though.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2013, 12:32 AM   #7
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Glad it wasn't a crash... We live and learn, so don't beat yourself too much about it. Godspeed!

Old March 28th, 2013, 05:30 AM   #8
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

my advice is to check the weather the night before, then pack a liner for your jacket and ziplock bags for your electronics. then if you have a smart phone , look at the doppler maps to see what direction the storm is moving. i use it to pick good times to leave.

also i find if there's something worrying me, i ride terrible...
do your personal problem solving off the bike and concentrate on the ride.

Old March 28th, 2013, 05:48 AM   #9
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

How could you tell the light was about to turn yellow?

I'd have asked for a plastic bag for the electronics.

And then, every time it rains, I'd go out and practice riding in the rain. Get used to it.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2013, 06:20 AM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250rr View Post
...........I also learned that I am a bad motorcyclist.
Not enough mistakes to arrive to such dramatic conclusion.

Making foolish mistakes and learning from them is part of being a good motorcyclist.

All you need to do is looking as far ahead as you can, keeping the close surroundings checked with your peripheral view.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe...erence_points/

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe...lem_of_vision/

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe...cs_code_break/

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe...a_trained_eye/

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe...no_rossi_eyes/

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe...us_code_break/

Your eyes should be scanning the horizon and talking to your brain; both should have one or two plans ready long before your bike reaches that point over the road.

Ride with your eyes seeing a couple of imaginary moves ahead; your bike will just follow.

Riding is 98% looking ahead, making mental calculations and creating space in front of your bike,.............the other 2% is dedicated to keeping a sharp focus on thinking and doing nothing else but those things.

You are a growing good motorcyclist,...........or this thread wouldn't exist.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2013, 09:25 AM   #11
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
A motorcyclists best friend is peripheral vision!

Old March 28th, 2013, 10:22 AM   #12
250rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Not enough mistakes to arrive to such dramatic conclusion.

Making foolish mistakes and learning from them is part of being a good motorcyclist.

All you need to do is looking as far ahead as you can, keeping the close surroundings checked with your peripheral view.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe...erence_points/

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe...lem_of_vision/

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe...cs_code_break/

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe...a_trained_eye/

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe...no_rossi_eyes/

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe...us_code_break/

Your eyes should be scanning the horizon and talking to your brain; both should have one or two plans ready long before your bike reaches that point over the road.

Ride with your eyes seeing a couple of imaginary moves ahead; your bike will just follow.

Riding is 98% looking ahead, making mental calculations and creating space in front of your bike,.............the other 2% is dedicated to keeping a sharp focus on thinking and doing nothing else but those things.

You are a growing good motorcyclist,...........or this thread wouldn't exist.
Thanks for the links! They are very informative. I guess I've got the foolish mistake side of motorcycling down!

Old March 28th, 2013, 10:25 AM   #13
250rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post
How could you tell the light was about to turn yellow?

I'd have asked for a plastic bag for the electronics.

And then, every time it rains, I'd go out and practice riding in the rain. Get used to it.
Our walk/don't walk signs have a count-down from 10 or so to 1 to help pedestrians anticipate when the light will change. I was able to use that to estimate. I just stupidly thought it might be different this time.

Old March 28th, 2013, 10:25 AM   #14
250rr

Thanks for all the input, boys and girls. Good stuff.

Old March 28th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #15
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Thumbs up

Glad ya safe and ya bike ain't got no new scratches

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz View Post

Glad you got through it

^ that pic is tiiiight
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 28th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #16
drac
ninjette.org member

Name: drac

Motorcycle(s): '88 Hurricane 600, '09 Ninja 250

glad it turned out well for you.

If you managed to stop with the rear brake and with it sliding no less you had plenty of distance to stay on the front brake and just ease off it while apply the rear.

Not sure how many fingers you use on the front brake. I use 2 fingers in dry conditions but only use 1 in the rain/snow.

Old March 29th, 2013, 01:02 AM   #17
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

I make it a habit to ride in the rain on a semi-regular basis. It makes for good practice when you get caught in it unexpectedly; in addition, a ride in the rain can be extremely therapeutic to do so.

I also practice threshold braking in the rain. You might be surprised at how much available traction you actually have on a wet road. It's very helpful to know this in the event of an emergency.

Live and learn. Glad to hear you are OK.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 29th, 2013, 03:42 AM   #18
aeroblade
Doh!

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250rr View Post
I also learned that I am a bad motorcyclist.
You trying to steal my thunder? huh? I'm the baddest m*f*n motorcyclist there is b*t*h... but its alright... Out of the goodness of my heart I'll let you be the second baddest... aight?

all clowning aside... what doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger
aeroblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #19
LT505
ninjette.org member

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Is there a safe way to lock up one of the tires? I want to try it in a parking lot or something so I know what its like. I am a new rider that has not had the chance to lock up either tires yet.
LT505 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #20
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT505 View Post
Is there a safe way to lock up one of the tires? I want to try it in a parking lot or something so I know what its like. I am a new rider that has not had the chance to lock up either tires yet.
The easiest way is over sand or loose fine gravel over pavement (avoid deep layers of either sand or gravel).

When locking the rear, just steer in the same direction that the tail swings out.

When locking the front, get ready to inmediately release the front brake as soon as you feel no steering or the front skidding from under you (be really quick or you will fall). Do it at very slow speed.

Don't lock both simultaneously.

Be careful, falling on sand or gravel still hurts as bad.

Last futzed with by Motofool; April 1st, 2013 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Edited to clarify first statement (bold fonts).

Old March 29th, 2013, 10:58 PM   #21
aeroblade
Doh!

Quote:
The easiest way is over sand or loose fine gravel.

When locking the rear, just steer in the same direction that the tail swings out.

When locking the front, get ready to inmediately release the front brake as soon as you feel no steering or the front skidding from under you (be really quick or you will fall). Do it at very slow speed.

Don't lock both simultaneously.

Be careful, falling on sand or gravel still hurts as bad.
Mate I wouldn't recommend sand or gravel on the first go! The chances of the front wheel digging in on uneven sandy or gravel surfaces are too high due to the uneven weight distribution. Besides any off angle on such surfaces could thrown him off balance ultimately ending up in a slide.

@ LT505

I would definitely suggest working your way up in the rain first and then try out on other surfaces like Motofool suggested. This will help create an instinct that will take over on its own as you progress.

The safest way to navigate the rain is by slowing down and using engine brake shifting down to 5th, 4th or 3rd gear depending on your speed. It acts kind of like an ABS which prevents the rear wheel from locking up completely, which is really good in rainy weather. Never shift down too much as the sudden change will cause the wheel to lock up temporarily like say doing 30mph and then shifting down to the 2nd gear is a BIG NO NO! Oh and try to avoid using too much front brake. I'm not saying not to use them at all just to go really easy on em.

Old March 30th, 2013, 06:43 AM   #22
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I can't believe the UN-knowledge of locking up the rear. Hasn't anyone had a Stringray as a kid? I had a 67 Stringray and I used to kick out the rear all the time. It's what normal kids did as kids. I guess someone will have to make a video game for kids today to learn how to control a rearend slide.

Last futzed with by CC Cowboy; March 31st, 2013 at 07:12 AM.
CC Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2013, 07:27 PM   #23
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroblade View Post
Mate I wouldn't recommend sand or gravel on the first go! The chances of the front wheel digging in on uneven sandy or gravel surfaces are too high due to the uneven weight distribution..........

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old April 1st, 2013, 09:27 AM   #24
aeroblade
Doh!

Quote:
Yes sand riding yea, but aren't we actually talking about riding on slippery roads instead? Unless his aim is to specifically involve himself in sand riding, I doubt this would help. I'm not trying to belittle your suggestion or anything mate, I just said he should consider it as the next step if he does.

I'm not a professional terrain specific rider and I don't claim to be an expert but I do hail from a state that is famous for the worst road conditions ever ( and I do mean worst or lack of road itself ) and I have several good years of experience riding through such horrible terrains almost everyday like dry & wet sand, gravel, slippery mud (worst ever! almost had a face plant on that), grass feilds etc, with less than adequate machines. People who can't properly control their machines in a simple wet conditions are going to find this potentially dangerous on the first go. Besides I don't think anyone would learn sand riding with out having a spill at least once, which means you would have to risk damaging your machine unless you are absolutely willing to.

Old April 1st, 2013, 10:26 AM   #25
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroblade View Post
.........Unless his aim is to specifically involve himself in sand riding, I doubt this would help. I'm not trying to belittle your suggestion or anything mate, I just said he should consider it as the next step if he does..........
You are correct; I have edited my post #20 above.

Old April 1st, 2013, 11:09 AM   #26
aeroblade
Doh!

Quote:
You are correct; I have edited my post #20 above.
to you too

Old April 2nd, 2013, 05:25 AM   #27
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (Sold), 93 VFR750F (In Pieces)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I can't believe the UN-knowledge of locking up the rear. Hasn't anyone had a Stringray as a kid? I had a 67 Stringray and I used to kick out the rear all the time. It's what normal kids did as kids. I guess someone will have to make a video game for kids today to learn how to control a rearend slide.
That's what my mtb is for. I actually aaaalmost high-sided it this weekend right in front of a group of guys that had stopped to let the faster group go around.

Old April 2nd, 2013, 07:26 AM   #28
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I loved doing that on my bicycle as a kid. Hell, I still do that on my BMX bike around campus to carry speed on sidewalk turns. Still fun.

It gets a bit funny on my mountain bike though. I don't have compression damping adjustment, so it kinda hops over the pavement and squats when I do kid skids and get sideways. It's a weird feeling.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote