ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 10th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #1
RevnUp
ninjette.org member

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 SE, 2002 Bonneville, 1964 Bonneville Bobber Project

Keeping Your Bike Outside

Off and on I consider picking up a Ninja 250 as a second bike. My hesitation stems largely from my lack of garage space; I would have to keep the bike outside.

Does anyone here keep a bike outdoors regularly?

Other than a cover, are there other precautions? What are the issues with having the bike outside through winter?

Thanks for any thoughts.
RevnUp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #2
ktp1598
ninjette.org member

Name: Bobby

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 Phantom Silver, 2006 Harley Davidson XL1200L Glacier White

Outside is tricky, as it really depends on moisture. Instead of a cover, they sell small dome tents just for cycles. They breathe well and keep dust, sun, rain, etc off the bike. They can be found in the back of most cycle mags. Otherwise, wax all painted surfaces and keep everything clean. Plug the mufflers and intake to keep rodents and bugs out during the winter. Ride as often as you can to keep the critters away!
ktp1598 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #3
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Don't forget locks and/or alarms. Definitely have comprehensive insurance if you value your bike at all since even locks and alarms won't stop the most determined thief.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #4
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

I just throw a cover on and it make sure the chain is lubed so it won't rust.

Old November 10th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #5
caineroad
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
Don't forget locks and/or alarms. Definitely have comprehensive insurance if you value your bike at all since even locks and alarms won't stop the most determined thief.
Same thought, but actually fire and theft will do, comprehensive would also include collision depends if he needs it or not.
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #6
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Not sure how cold it gets in your parts but I'd bring the battery indoors.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #7
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I kept mine outside my apartment in Jacksonville fl for 6 months while I lived there, no problems... Would I do it again? I freakin hope I don't have to. Is it happier in the garage up here, yup.

What part of nc you located in?

Old November 11th, 2013, 12:35 AM   #8
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

If you live by the sea don't do it, the salt air does a lot of damage to electrical connections.

Steve

Old November 11th, 2013, 12:42 AM   #9
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by caineroad View Post
Same thought, but actually fire and theft will do, comprehensive would also include collision depends if he needs it or not.
Maybe it's different in Canada, but over here, comprehensive covers everything that isn't collision.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2013, 12:54 AM   #10
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

I live a mile from the sea, I always keep my bike outside in all conditions and never cover it and it's fine.

Just spray it twice a year with ACF50 and job's a good'un.

Only problem I get is emulsification of the engine oil from too many short trips as my island is too small to warm up engines on a journey.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2013, 01:40 AM   #11
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

LOL

headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2013, 07:21 AM   #12
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
Maybe it's different in Canada, but over here, comprehensive covers everything that isn't collision.
It's the same thing here in Ontario; collision is separate. That's why I've got separate deductibles for those coverages.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2013, 07:26 AM   #13
RevnUp
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 SE, 2002 Bonneville, 1964 Bonneville Bobber Project

Thanks everyone for the insights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
What part of nc you located in?
I'm in Charlotte. You?

Old November 11th, 2013, 07:29 AM   #14
RevnUp
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
I live a mile from the sea, I always keep my bike outside in all conditions and never cover it and it's fine.

Only problem I get is emulsification of the engine oil from too many short trips as my island is too small to warm up engines on a journey.
I've heard of ACF50 on the Triumph forum. When you say, "spray it," spray what? Just the metal? Everything? Are there parts (like chain, brakes) that should not be sprayed with this stuff?

Old November 11th, 2013, 08:56 AM   #15
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
I just throw a cover on and it make sure the chain is lubed so it won't rust.
This. I keep mine outside all year round in NYC. It's cold, it snows, I'm near the ocean, and they salt the crap out of the roads.

I throw a cover on and keep the chain lubed and wash it once in awhile and it's fine.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #16
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevnUp View Post
Thanks everyone for the insights.

I'm in Charlotte. You?
Winston salem... Get an alarm and a lock an such.

Old November 11th, 2013, 10:00 AM   #17
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post

My son lived 500 meters from the sea in Bangor North Wales his ER6F (Ninja 650R ) was in a sorry state, it's only when you start to take it to pieces you realise how bad the corrosion is.

Steve

Old November 11th, 2013, 10:11 AM   #18
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
I've heard of ACF50 on the Triumph forum. When you say, "spray it," spray what? Just the metal? Everything? Are there parts (like chain, brakes) that should not be sprayed with this stuff?
The only thing you shouldn't get ACF50 on are the brake disks, twice a year after a through washing with dish soap I spray it on EVERYTHING on my bike except the brakes "it always get on the brakes during application but brake cleaner will take it off". You leave it to sit for an hour or so, it'll smoke like it's on fire for the first half an hour (i like to take it for a ride as it scares people something rotten). then it'll be protected for about a year, I haven't got any corrosion on my bike anywhere.

To answer Steve, ACF50 neutralizes salt, and the problem with the UK is they salt their roads, over here we don't use any salt or grit on the roads, it's the rock salt on the roads that really kills your metal work. I've taken my tank off a couple times and never had any rust on the usual spots, my frame is tip top, even where it's got a scratch!

If there are any two products I can't recommend highly enough, it's ACF50 and a Scottoiler.

Old November 11th, 2013, 11:15 AM   #19
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

I live in an apartment complex and have had my bike outside for the past two years.

The 250 did just fine but the chain would get dusty quite often (Texas) except when I would have the cover on it. It did good outside.

Then I took the 250 to Brownsville TX by the ocean and again... I had to leave it outside. It did okay I noticed my chain had developed a small layer of rust the first night there. I just made sure to lube a little more often and keep everything else lubed. Rust developed in lots of places such as screws and scratches.

I too am in a similar dillema. I now have two bikes, the 250 is being used by a friend who owns a bike shop and I got the 650. But when the 250 comes home I don't know what I'm going to do.

Maybe buy a speedway cover/shelter? The idea of leaving two bikes out in the open is very nerve wrecking.
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #20
RevnUp
ninjette.org member

Sounds like some of you do it without major problems--now to save a little money and find a deal! (And order some ACF50 from across the pond.)

Old November 11th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #21
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (Slightly Modded)

I have neither a shed nor garage. So my ninja stays outside in my backyard (hidden of course) unless it gets really cold, like tonight. I brought her into the laundry room haha.
Sykes92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2013, 12:16 AM   #22
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
Sounds like some of you do it without major problems--now to save a little money and find a deal! (And order some ACF50 from across the pond.)
You'll probably find it cheaper in the USA as it's made in Canada I believe, pilot supply shops will probably stock it.

http://www.amazon.com/Lear-Chemical-...keywords=acf50

I know this bottle is $20, but you will get three applications out of this easily, that's 18 months.

Old November 12th, 2013, 06:32 AM   #23
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Quote:
....Other than a cover, are there other precautions? What are the issues with having the bike outside through winter?
Quote:
.....I'm in Charlotte. You?

Other than the wide fluctuation in temps in Charlotte. You won't have a big problem. Keep the chain lubed, the bottom half of the bike cleaned, start and ride it every few days and it will be fine. Your battery will take a hit at night in the cold.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote