ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old September 3rd, 2011, 10:14 AM   #1
5evenz
ninjette.org member

Name: Sev

Motorcycle(s): 09' 250r Thunder Blue

Riding skill Books

Alright, So i've finished my msf and have about 2000km city and highway riding under my belt. A friend of my parents who has been riding forever lent me a few books. I eventually want to take it to the track and im just wondering where to start within this stack.

-Riding in the zone -Ken Condon
-Total Control -Parks
-Ride Hard Ride Smart -Hahn
-Proficient Motorcycling -Hough

I plan on reading them all, Just want to know where to start.
5evenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2011, 11:08 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

A number of recommended books / videos are linked in the sticky thread in this riding skills section:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13547

The only one in your list that I'm not familiar with is: Ride Hard Ride Smart -Hahn

But the other 3 are all great, and you can't go wrong starting with any of them. If I had to pick 1, it might be the Hough book.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2011, 06:54 PM   #3
5evenz
ninjette.org member

Name: Sev

Motorcycle(s): 09' 250r Thunder Blue

awesome thanks, cant wait to get started.
5evenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2011, 07:04 PM   #4
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5evenz View Post

-Riding in the zone -Ken Condon
-Total Control -Parks
-Ride Hard Ride Smart -Hahn
-Proficient Motorcycling -Hough

I plan on reading them all, Just want to know where to start.
Definitely start with Proficient Motorcycling. It is the best beginner book!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 4th, 2011, 05:33 AM   #5
ruben5
ninjette.org member

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2004 Ninja 250

lets not forget...

Twist of the Wrist Keith Code
ruben5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 03:06 AM   #6
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Twist of the Wrist II and Total Control are both a must.

Proficient Motorcycling is a mixed bag - some good advice, with lots of BS thrown in (how to talk to the dog owners, etc). He also makes an idiot of himself on a few occasions (throttle control in a turn) and so on. But he's got some good substance on street survivial skills.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 06:26 AM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toly View Post
Proficient Motorcycling is a mixed bag - some good advice, with lots of BS thrown in (how to talk to the dog owners, etc). He also makes an idiot of himself on a few occasions (throttle control in a turn) and so on.
I'd be curious if you had any clear examples of mistakes in the Hough book, it doesn't ring a bell for me.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old September 13th, 2011, 08:40 AM   #8
Toly
ninjette.org guru

The one I have in mind is probably in his second volume, "More Proficient Motorcycling".. There's an amusing story about him working as a riding instructor, and refusing to teach rolling on the throttle in a turn because he perceived it as dangerous. And the chief instructor eventually threatens to kick him out unless he sides with the "party line"... after many hesitations, the author gives in and then eventually "sees the light" and perceives rolling on the throttle in turns as more of a good than evil; he becomes a believer and eventually incorporates it in his own riding... Like WTF, dude, are you serious?

In another section, he goes on advising new riders to wait before trying any "new technique" until they're comfortable... like a few months to a few years. Compare that to Keith Code who teaches to kick the bad habits and SRs in the gut, the sooner the better, and see who makes more sense.

His book is still good reading, as David has lots of good advice about street strategies... I just wish he stayed more focused on the subject. He could skip such memorable subjects as "conversations with the dog owners" to produce only one volume, short and to the point.

Old September 13th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #9
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

My package from Amazon arrived today and I was able to get Twist of the Wrist, Twist of the Wrist 2 book, and Twist of the Wrist 2 DVD for $50.00.

Already own Proficient Motorcycling 2nd edition by Hough.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 04:15 AM   #10
15dollar
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

I have read both Proficient Motorcycling and Twist of the Wrist.

TotW is my favorite of the two. It is written for the racer but has tons of useful information for anyone on a sportbike. Code has really broken down riding into definable skills. It will make you way more observant of the way you control your motorcycle.

PM is good for everyday street skills. He goes less into the technical points of motorcycle control and more into street strategies. (I think that is actually what the column was called from which the book was based)

The two together are a good mix.
15dollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 08:39 AM   #11
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toly View Post
Proficient Motorcycling is a mixed bag - some good advice, with lots of BS thrown in (how to talk to the dog owners, etc). He also makes an idiot of himself on a few occasions (throttle control in a turn) and so on. But he's got some good substance on street survivial skills.
While he targets people off the track for practical street application -- resulting in some different advice in some circumstances, like a preference for a delayed apex -- I find him to be incredibly thoughtful, providing the best advise of any book. I would be happy to discuss individual examples where you think his advice is BS, because it really isn't at all.

His advice vs. also excellent advice by Code or Pridmore or others is the most practical for the street, and going to result in the safest rider in real world conditions. I cannot recommend his books enough.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #12
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
While he targets people off the track for practical street application -- resulting in some different advice in some circumstances, like a preference for a delayed apex -- I find him to be incredibly thoughtful, providing the best advise of any book. I would be happy to discuss individual examples where you think his advice is BS, because it really isn't at all.

His advice vs. also excellent advice by Code or Pridmore or others is the most practical for the street, and going to result in the safest rider in real world conditions. I cannot recommend his books enough.
By BS I don't mean bad advice, but lots of irrelevant stuff. It makes for an entertaining reading, but doesn't serve a beginner well. A beginner needs a minimum of critical information to remember and apply to practice. And that's where the book doesn't deliver - there's tons of good info diluted with tons of extraneous stuff that at the end of the day doesn't sink in very well.

What do you remember after reading two volumes that you can recall from memory (no cheating, please)? And, from what you've recalled, was it delayed apex, specific road hazards and traffic situations, or was it deer psychology, pink elephants, conversations with dog owners and his grandson's tastes? Can you recall the essense of the really important sfuff and take it wth you on your next ride? I couldn't - and fell into the very trap he had described, because instead of a particular surface hazard all I could remember were him making peace with the throttle mid-corner, freezing his butt on the alpine crossing; toilets falling off the truck and elephants escaping from the zoo.

Old September 14th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #13
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
He uses examples to illustrate his points, ones that actually happened iirc. I remember that much better than pure theory because the examples are vivid and instructional while just saying something without an example can get a bit dry for me. I recall his points quite well, and find the book outstanding. But people have different learning styles and appreciate different things. Nothing wrong with that at all, and I can't say you should or shouldn't like him better because of his writing style. For me, its perfect. For you, could be better. I'm cool with that.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Old September 20th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #14
WhiteRice
Kamikaze Squirrel

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250r

I read both Hough books, highly recommend. Together they pretty much cover all the fundamentals a novice rider should know.

Plus there's many good scenarios with instruction on what to do when you encounter them.
WhiteRice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #15
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
I have one more to add, am reading it now. Called Motorcycle Roadcraft - Police Rider's Handbook to Better Motorcycling. Written for police, as you can tell from the title, but the theme of the book is professionalism. It is essentially advocating taking riding a motorcycle as seriously as a pilot would treat flying a plane. Very meticulous, very correct, all about systems and processes for safe riding. Awesome content. I've also attached a PDF of the table of contents (legal copy from the publisher used to promote the book).

Alex, can we add this to the sticky in the riding skills section listing books and vids?

Attached Files
File Type: pdf TSO_Motorcycle_Roadcraft_Contents_Introduction.pdf (242.0 KB, 8 views)

Old October 7th, 2011, 09:03 PM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
All set! Thx, Floyd.