ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old September 6th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #1
5evenz
ninjette.org member

Name: Sev

Motorcycle(s): 09' 250r Thunder Blue

Trains/dont know where to post

I think trains are commonly overlooked and not talked about a lot. I found I had questions even after my msf.
Just wanted to remind everyone to slow down on tracks and look both ways as the signs and lights can malfunction. I can't think of any other train info to help but please feel free to post with more information on them in regards to bikes if you have any.
I lost my best friend on the tracks yesterday and although he wasn't on a bike it may have been avoided.

Listen to the voice in your head and Ride safe everyone.
5evenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2011, 07:35 PM   #2
Heed
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

The guards at the tracks by me fail all the freakin' time.

Never trust electronics. Just like you wouldn't trust the green Neutral light on your bike.
Heed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Sorry to hear about your friend. Was he in another type of vehicle, or on foot?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Very good advice to always look both ways whenever crossing any type of intersection, whether it is a train crossing or even if you have the green light at a street intersection.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #5
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Wow, sorry to hear about your friend. Thanks for passing along the reminder.
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #6
5evenz
ninjette.org member

Name: Sev

Motorcycle(s): 09' 250r Thunder Blue

On foot if you can believe it.
5evenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #7
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

Trains are no joke. Have seen plenty of injuries involving people and trains. If not possible to get away from a train lay down on the ground to make yourself as small as possible.
Train engine/car bodies normally overhang the tracks a certain amount but not the rail wheel assemblies.

BNSF has a rail yard where I live at and part of my annual training involves trains and railway safety.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #8
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Sorry to hear about the loss :/ trains do seem to be often overlooked, also a piece of advice I might add.. well it's not really advice but what I do at really bumpy railroad crossings is stand up on my bike as if it were an obstacle in the road like they taught us in msf, helps smooth things out.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #9
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

actually some details on how to cross tracks properly would be nice. i have to cross some tomorrow on a trip to see a friend, spotted it on google maps in advance fortunately.
cross as perpendicular as possible? i think these have a metal grate so the tracks dont stick up too much, but i can't tell for sure since the picture is blurry.
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #10
DevinWolfe
Which pedal is the gas?

Name: Devin

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Prower View Post
cross as perpendicular as possible? i think these have a metal grate so the tracks dont stick up too much, but i can't tell for sure since the picture is blurry.
Yes, even if it means you have to make a small "S" while remaining in your lane.
DevinWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #11
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinWolfe View Post
Yes, even if it means you have to make a small "S" while remaining in your lane.
gotcha, i think i will slow to 5-10 mph and try the S maneuver. ill be praying that it goes smoothly! lol

Old May 18th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to riding skills

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #13
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (SOLD - 2/16/2013)

I can't say I understand what you are going for, I hope you and his family have all the support they need right now.

Unfortunately these types off accidents happen here in San Diego all the time because not only do we have heavy freight traffic but we also have the trolley system going all around the county

Old May 18th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #14
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

Quote:
gotcha, i think i will slow to 5-10 mph and try the S maneuver. ill be praying that it goes smoothly! lol
If the tracks are more than 45* from the road (perpendicular) then just maintain your lane position and speed, lift off the seat like you are clearing an obstical as taught in the MSF, and stay light on the bars.

I would only do the S turn when approaching tracks if they were parallel with the road.

Basically you want to cross the tracks in the most neutral stance possible, no turning, accelerating, or decelerating.

You shouldn't have any difficulties. I go over at least two sets of tracks every day. The really aren't as scary as they lead you to believe.
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #15
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynjay View Post
If the tracks are more than 45* from the road (perpendicular) then just maintain your lane position and speed, lift off the seat like you are clearing an obstical as taught in the MSF, and stay light on the bars.

I would only do the S turn when approaching tracks if they were parallel with the road.

Basically you want to cross the tracks in the most neutral stance possible, no turning, accelerating, or decelerating.

You shouldn't have any difficulties. I go over at least two sets of tracks every day. The really aren't as scary as they lead you to believe.
yeah i saw a DMV pamphlet online that said up to 45 degrees you are fine going straight over. The one I was looking at is probably 45 or a bit bigger. I guess I'll just go straight and slow over the tracks, and stay loose like you said. Going on a 60 mile ride..a bit nervous since I don't know the roads at all.

Old May 18th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #16
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

Quote:
yeah i saw a DMV pamphlet online that said up to 45 degrees you are fine going straight over. The one I was looking at is probably 45 or a bit bigger. I guess I'll just go straight and slow over the tracks, and stay loose like you said. Going on a 60 mile ride..a bit nervous since I don't know the roads at all.
I was super nervious about tracks when I started riding since there are several roads that parallel tracks here and occasionally you have to turn right at an intersection and immeadiatly go over the tracks. After doing it a couple of times it really is not that big of a deal. Don't psych yourself out and you'll be ok.
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #17
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

once they're dry you're fine going across them as perpendicular as possible, theres one set in Dublin which cross a roundabout, and every winter on the irish forum I'm on theres a shed load of posts about people going down at that spot, banked over in the wet, crossing the tracks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote