ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old October 24th, 2016, 04:00 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[motorcycle.com] - Simple USB Power For Your Bike

As we become ever more dependent on our portable electronic devices, the problems of power are something we must constantly consider. In the past, I’ve written about how to install accessory power on your motorcycle (here) and how to make it switch on with your ignition (here). Suppose you just want a quick, non-permanent means of charging your smartphone? Well, if your have an electric vest or a trickle-charger that you use, you probably have all the wiring you need for USB power installed on your bike, already.

Most electric vests attach to your motorcycle’s electrical system via a fused cable ending in a SAE plug. So, all you really need is a small adapter to convert your bike’s 12 volt electrical system to a USB-compatible 5 V. While surfing around looking for adapters for another electrical project I’m working on, I stumbled onto a clever USB connector.

Lightningfast produces a SAE To USB Adapter that is essentially a SAE connector with a switch and a covered USB port. The entire device looks to be about 1.5-inches long. (Note: I have not personally used this device. I just found it and thought I should share it with my fellow*MOrons.) Its specs, which show a 2.1 amp output, mean it will charge just about every USB-powered device you can throw at it – all the way up to a tablet. It has a weather-resistant*cap to go over the USB port to keep rain out if you leave it on your bike. The on/off switch will prevent you from killing your battery if the adapter is connected to unswitched power. It even has internal polarity connection to keep it from shorting out should the SAE connector be wired with its polarity reversed.

The key to the Lightningfast USB adapter’s utility is in the almost ubiquitous SAE adapter.

With a retail price of about $15, the Lightningfast SAE To USB Adapter isn’t a huge expense and could be the answer to a question you’ve been asking. Find out more at*Lightningfast’s product page. If you don’t have a fused SAE connector already on your bike, start your search at your local auto parts store or here.

Simple USB Power For Your Bike appeared first on Motorcycle.com.

Click here for full story...