ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 31st, 2014, 08:44 AM   #1
carterdenny
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Carter

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Bike won't start !HELP!

I have a 2008 ninja 250 and it will not start. Here is some background on whats happening...

Yesterday I replaced the brake pads on the front. After I started it up and rode it around for about 2 miles to make sure they were working good. It started up fast and rode great as usual. This was about 9PM.

Today I tried to start it and it would not start. This was about 8AM or 11 hours later. They lights and horn work and it was turning over just like usual but it would not fire. I went to autozone and got some new plug about and hour ago and it still will not start. The gas is fresh and I always run high test. The gas was bought Sunday. I ride this bike everyday and it is my main mode of transportation. The oil was recently changed (Sunday) as well...

This whole this has me clueless. It started and rode great and then all the sudden 11 hours later it would not start. And yes the key is on, run is on, its in neutral, and the kick stand is up.
carterdenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2014, 08:57 AM   #2
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Did you check your air filter or snorkel for dirt or blackage?
Did the bike sit out in the rain?
Do you use the choke to start the bike?
Is the petcock vacuum line hooked up?

Last futzed with by DaBlue1; June 1st, 2014 at 06:03 AM.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 31st, 2014, 07:26 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterdenny View Post
I have a 2008 ninja 250...........This whole this has me clueless. It started and rode great and then all the sudden 11 hours later it would not start........
Welcome to Ninette.org !!!

The problem is always caused by the last thing with which you messed up.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2014, 06:08 AM   #4
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

Describe would not start:

-crank, no fire?
-no crank?
-starter engages but stops immediately?

help us help you.

Old June 1st, 2014, 11:58 AM   #5
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
have you tried to use the choke? and giving it a little throttle?

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2014, 03:22 PM   #6
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmbShn41 View Post
Describe would not start:

-crank, no fire?
-no crank?
-starter engages but stops immediately?

help us help you.
As Dmb said - we need more info.

Is it cranking strong? Does it "click"? What does it do?

My guess is going to be a battery issue. Check the battery voltage before you try to start it again. Then check it again as you hit the button.

What are you reading? If the battery is fully charged it will read 12.7V. As you are cranking it should stay about 11V or so.

There's a lot of other things it could be, but give us some more specifics and we'll help sort it out.

Also - No reason to run "High Test" gas in the Ninja. Higher grades can sit in the tank at the station longer, and for that reason, can go bad quicker. I don't think that's your problem, but try to get the lowest octane level you can without ethanol is always my recommendation.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2014, 04:43 PM   #7
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterdenny View Post
...It started and rode great and then all the sudden 11 hours later it would not start. And yes the key is on, run is on, its in neutral, and the kick stand is up.
Welcome to the Ninjette.org forum, CarterDenny! Hope you're enjoying the bike (excluding today's difficulties, of course).

While we're waiting for more info, is there spark? You might try to hook up the spark plug wire (or coil, or whatever the new-gen 250's have) to an uninstalled plug, make sure the threaded end of the plug is grounded to the chassis or engine case, hit the starter and see if there's spark.

If no spark, consider looking at safety interlock switchery: neutral switch; kickstand switch; clutch switch (do these bikes even have one?).
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 5th, 2014, 08:40 AM   #8
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

Have you checked the kill switch?
flitecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote