ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 27th, 2010, 09:32 AM   #1
mychelle
ninjette.org member

Name: Mychelle

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Bike won't start. Need help please.

Okay, so don't hate on me. But I don't know anything about bikes and I don't really have anyone who can help me.

Last time I rode my '08 250 was the end of June. Since then I neglected it and left it sitting in my garage. Yesterday I tried to start it up because I need to get it inspected. It starts up with the choke on, around 3-4K, any less and it dies. When I try to put it into first gear, slowly release the clutch and turn the throttle, it dies.

I've searched through all the "bike won't start" posts, but I don't even know where to start.

Any ideas would be very helpful. Thanks!
mychelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #2
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
Originally Posted by mychelle View Post
Last time I rode my '08 250 was the end of June. Since then I neglected it and left it sitting in my garage.
Your carbs are likely gummed up. Running some seafoam through the tank may help.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2010, 09:48 AM   #3
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

That is about the best "quick fix" advice - everything else might involve some time and tools.

I can understand not wanting to ride around in the heat, but starting the bike and going around the block would have been the best advice.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2010, 10:02 AM   #4
mychelle
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
Running some seafoam through the tank may help.
I will try that tonight after work. How much do I use? Their website says "add 2 oz. Sea Foam to each gallon of gas / oil mix."

Quote:
Originally Posted by austexjg
starting the bike and going around the block would have been the best advice.
Hindsight.

Old October 27th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #5
bob706

How much gas is in your tank right now? Also if your unable to ride it due to it dying when put in gear, I would be inclined to put a fan in front of the bike and let it run for awhile (preferably not with the choke on). I would dump about a quarter of the bottle in and see what happens.

Old October 27th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #6
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

michelle,

where in texas are you?

just put a bunch of seafoam in, let it idles for awhile and see if that clears things up. Your carb is prob gummed up due to all this ethanol craps in fuel. don't let the bike sits too long..
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2010, 03:03 PM   #7
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawboyCAFE View Post
my bikes have never set for more than 2 weeks at a time, so luckily i have never had the so-called "gummed up carbs" issue. even in the harshest of winter you should start your bike and let it run for about 20 minutes every couple of weeks. i guess i am just fortunate, because i have never in my life used stabil or seafoam or any of those other products, and i have never had a problem.
running your bike during winter (letting it idle for 20 minutes) w/o actually riding it can be very bad for your engine.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

There can be negative effects either way. Starting it each week or two and idling it will likely keep the carbs from getting gunked up. You're running fuel through them often enough that portions of the fuel won't end up clogging the extremely small passages.

But by starting it each week without getting the entire engine up to operating temp under load, the condensation in the oil will progressively get worse and worse, causing the oil to ultimately be less effective. How much less effective? Hard to say. But a high-revving tiny engine like ours that is kept in the top end of the rev band, and only has a tiny amount of oil in it in the first place, is as affected by oil problems as any bike on the road. If the first thing you do in the spring before running it hard is to change the oil again, perhaps that's a decent compromise.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #9
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
There can be negative effects either way.
how so? if the bike is winterized properly, you will have a great running bike come springtime.

idling the bike w/o burning off the accrued condensation (which requires the bike be ridden under full load, not just idling) will lead to an increased level of acids in the oil which will affect it's ability to lubricate properly. it's well known in the car forums and those that are religious about keeping their vehicles in pristine condition go through a very anal process to winterize their cars. They don't start the cars once put to sleep for the winter. I can't see where bikes are different... in fact, I would think it's more important in a small bore bike like ours.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_sho...ter_storage%3F

Old October 27th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #10
kkim

Quote:
been doing it for 15 years now and never had a problem, so i think its okay.
ah... a young un'.

Old October 27th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
how so? if the bike is winterized properly, you will have a great running bike come springtime.
I tend to agree, but even those folks who follow the checklists from top to bottom still sometimes have issues restarting a bike 5 months later. And then there are the folks who know these engines inside and out, are financially incented to maintain them well, and have chosen to start them every week or two over the winter to make sure they can continue to do so (Richard B. comes to mind).

But what the heck do I know about winterizing; works better just to ride them year round and not worry about it.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old October 27th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #12
bob706

Quote:
it really doesnt matter what people do either way, someone else is always going to tell them they are doing it the wrong way.
that's just wrong

Old October 27th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #13
8gauge
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Limited Edition - R.I.P. 12/2/2010

The good thing about living on a tropical island is that it's summer all year and i don't have to worry about winter lol
8gauge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #14
mychelle
ninjette.org member

So I got two bottles of Seafoam from Autozone. Poured about 1/3 the bottle in there. But now the key won't turn to on. It'll turn to lock the handlebars, but it won't go to on.

I read this: http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r...osition-5.html and now I'm gonna go back to the garage and keep fidgeting with it again.

This has been a sucky day.

Old October 27th, 2010, 09:03 PM   #15
mychelle
ninjette.org member

Never mind!! I got it!

Old October 27th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #16
mychelle
ninjette.org member

So it's idling lower. But still no go. Better than it was last night. I'll run it again in the morning and see how it goes.

Old October 27th, 2010, 10:45 PM   #17
Alex
ninjette.org dude

It may take an actual ride or two to clear things out, idling it (or even revving it) under no load while stationary will never get everything up to temp appropriate working. Get out on the highway for 20 minutes at 60+ mph, and all will likely be well.

Old October 28th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #18
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

You need to get the old fuel and seafoam outa your tank and get new fuel in there. If there's a lot of fuel in there then empty it and refill with new fuel, if the level is low then you can try to run it out.

Old October 28th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #19
untdavid
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Candy Plasma Blue 250r

If you need some help, I could swing by and see what I can do...BTW, all of your cousins ride, couldn't they help you? If not let me know.

David
untdavid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #20
mychelle
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by untdavid View Post
If you need some help, I could swing by and see what I can do...BTW, all of your cousins ride, couldn't they help you? If not let me know.

David
They don't know I have a bike. Also, they are in Arlington, I'm in Dallas.

I ran the bike again this morning. It's idling a lot lower, around 1k. It's still dying in gear if I don't keep the clutch in. I'm going to do an oil change tonight and mess with it some more.

Any other suggestions?

Old October 28th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #21
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
I ran the bike again this morning.
Started the bike and just let it run in place, or actually took it for a ride?

Quote:
Any other suggestions?
If the answer to part A was not "took it for a ride", do so.

Old October 28th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #22
untdavid
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Candy Plasma Blue 250r

Quote:
They don't know I have a bike. Also, they are in Arlington, I'm in Dallas.

I ran the bike again this morning. It's idling a lot lower, around 1k. It's still dying in gear if I don't keep the clutch in. I'm going to do an oil change tonight and mess with it some more.

Any other suggestions?
Give me a call tonight...PM'd you with my phone number. Would like to take a look at your bike anyway.

David
untdavid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #23
mychelle
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
How much gas is in your tank right now? Also if your unable to ride it due to it dying when put in gear, I would be inclined to put a fan in front of the bike and let it run for awhile (preferably not with the choke on).
It's nearly a full tank. And I can't get it to start without any choke.

Quote:
sounds to me like you didnt let it warm up enough after setting that long. just start it up, let run with the choke on for about 5-7 minutes, then slowly move the choke down a little until it drops to about 2,000 rpm and let it run for about another 5 minutes. after that, take it out for a 10-15 minute ride atleast. this should help, plus it will flow some gas through the carbs to smooth them out.
The bike dies in gear. I have to let the clutch out a little to have it go a few feet and then pull the clutch back in so that it doesn't die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
where in texas are you?

just put a bunch of seafoam in, let it idles for awhile and see if that clears things up. Your carb is prob gummed up due to all this ethanol craps in fuel. don't let the bike sits too long..
I'm in Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
It may take an actual ride or two to clear things out, idling it (or even revving it) under no load while stationary will never get everything up to temp appropriate working. Get out on the highway for 20 minutes at 60+ mph, and all will likely be well.
I can't get it going in gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
You need to get the old fuel and seafoam outa your tank and get new fuel in there. If there's a lot of fuel in there then empty it and refill with new fuel, if the level is low then you can try to run it out.
That's my next step a long with an oil change. Next step after that looks like it's going to be to call a mechanic.

Old October 30th, 2010, 08:09 PM   #24
mychelle
ninjette.org member

Well, it's not the kickstand switch. Disabled it but it still sputters and dies in gear unless I have the clutch in.

Old October 31st, 2010, 05:07 AM   #25
mychelle
ninjette.org member

Quote:
when you let out on the clutch, you are twisting the throttle a little aren't you?
Yes. The RPMs go up and then they go down and the bike dies if I don't pull the clutch back in. It doesn't matter how much throttle I give it.

Old October 31st, 2010, 12:56 PM   #26
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Start it w/ the choke and just let it sit there and run. Every few minutes, try to open the choke some. Keep trying this. If you stall it, close the choke and restart. Also, give the idle knob a few twists clockwise to get the bike so it wants to sit and idle.

As the bike sits there running, the rpm's are eventually gonna raise up beyond where they should be. Work the choke open and the idle speed knob down to get the rpms 1000-ish. Don't be afraid to play with it.

You might hafta get new fuel in there first. Your fuel is old which can be causing issues and now there's a bunch of seafoam in it, which doesn't burn real well. If you light seafoam, it burns with a cool dazzling flame and then goes out leaving behind a bunch of "stuff" that doesn't burn.

Old November 4th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #27
mychelle
ninjette.org member

SOOOO .... I took the bike apart, cleaned the carbs (which were pretty clean, I think), shimmed the needles, put it back together, freaked out because I couldn't figure out where an end to one of tubes went ( THANKS KELLY!! ), and started her up.

It's idling a lot better. I actually got the bike to stay running for a little while without choke, so a little progress. But the main problem is still there. I put it in first, give it gas, RPMs go up and then down, and the bike will die if I don't pull the clutch back in tight.

So.... any other suggestions?

Old November 5th, 2010, 12:49 AM   #28
kkim

Quote:
But the main problem is still there. I put it in first, give it gas, RPMs go up and then down, and the bike will die if I don't pull the clutch back in tight.
can you give a bit more details on what exactly happens?

is the bike fully warmed up when you're doing this? are you using the choke to start it initially when cold?

when you cleaned the carbs, did you remove the pilot and main jets and blow them out with compressed air to make sure they aren't partially blocked?

have you tried increasing the idle speed using the idle control knob? if you can, turn that knob up so the bike idles at 2000rpm for now.

did you drain the old gas/seafoam mix and refill w/ fresh gas?

Old November 5th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #29
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Is choke ON when you try to put it in gear? I usually leave the choke ON and go down the block and turn it off at the first stop sign. Having load really warms it up significantly faster. Also, when you say rpm's go up, How far up are you talking about? You might need to rev it decently high to get enough power since it's been stored so long. Once you get moving it should be easy peasy. Goodluck.

Btw, when you shimmed the needles, did you make sure to use the right washers? if the washers are too big they'll get caught and cause a whole different set of problems.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #30
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Have you drained and replaced the fuel in the tank? Modern fuel chemistry is fairly unstable and five or six month old fuel won't work nearly as well in a motor tuned as highly as the lil' Ninja's is. The fuel will still work in your car, so just transfer it from the bike to the car (or lawnmower gas can, etc). The easiest way to empty the tank is to disconnect the fuel line from the petcock, run a new piece of fuel line to a gas can, then use a short piece of vacuum hose to apply mouth suction to the vacuum port on the petcock to open it up. Once fuel is flowing you can crimp the line to hold the vacuum.

Once you get fresh gas in the tank drain the carbs to get the old fuel out of them as well. To minimize cranking time from dry carbs, after you've drain them you can use vacuum on the petcock to refill the carb bowls.

In the future, if you're going to store a bike for a few months indoors just drain the carbs and throw some fuel stabilizer such as Stabil in the tank and put the battery on a battery tender to keep it charged. If you're going to periodically restart then it's best that you take it out for at least a 30 minute ride each time you start it to ensure the battery is fully charged, and more importantly to make sure all the cold-start condensation blowby is fully cooked out of the oil. About the worst thing you can do to a motor is intermittent starting from cold and then shutting it off.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote