ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 15th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #1
Suave
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

New Rider, need advice

I just got my 2008 ninja 250r a couple of weeks ago... love it. But I wanna beef it up a little, make it a little more unique and my own. I don't like how quiet it is, but Imma gonna fix that with MGP growler exhaust. My question is: How does MGP growler, Dynojet stage 2, and K&N filter sound?

Some people tell me its a good idea, and others say its bad. My main objective is to make my bike louder and hopefully a little quicker in the process. Feel free to educate me, I really don't know much about bikes (yet).
Suave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2011, 08:02 PM   #2
kkim

n/m

Last futzed with by kkim; June 19th, 2011 at 11:37 AM.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2011, 07:05 AM   #3
Suave
ninjette.org member

I don't know what I'm supposed to take from that link lol Some people are saying that if i get an exhaust and filter that I'll stunt my acceleration by running it lean, which to my knowledge is too much air in the F/A mix. Now some people are saying if I get the Dynojet stage 2 kit. It'll fix my running lean issue from all the extra airflow. Just wondering if that is true.

Old June 19th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #4
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

jet kit, full exhaust. They go hand in hand. Put on 1 at a time and you will have the bike rich or lean. Should be done at the same time to keep the a/f ratio where you want it.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #5
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

I would put the exhaust on first... make sure it runs... then add the jet kit because if you mess anything up doing both mods at the same time, you'll be wondering which one is causing the issue. Many of done several mods at the same time and it's a pain to figure out which one caused the problem.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #6
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Seeing that you bought an '08...I'm guessing it's used.
What will it cost you in time and money to make it louder and faster. and will it then be loud enough and fast enough ?
No BS, no lie....take the money and do an MSF course, buy some used leathers. Do soemthing with the $$ that will help you use the bike to it's fullest. A pipe and jet will go with the bike if you sell it...an MSF or leathers you get to keep. IMHO, of course.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #7
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
I don't know what I'm supposed to take from that link lol Some people are saying that if i get an exhaust and filter that I'll stunt my acceleration by running it lean, which to my knowledge is too much air in the F/A mix. Now some people are saying if I get the Dynojet stage 2 kit. It'll fix my running lean issue from all the extra airflow. Just wondering if that is true.
sorry, wrong thread got linked. don't understand how that happened.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52566&
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #8
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

i would say exhaust and intake you will probably need a jet kit or at least shim the carbs..i removed the snorkel and modded my stock exhaust and shimmed the carb .. made a noticeable difference in acceleration and sound!
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2011, 11:00 AM   #9
Suave
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
Seeing that you bought an '08...I'm guessing it's used.
What will it cost you in time and money to make it louder and faster. and will it then be loud enough and fast enough ?
No BS, no lie....take the money and do an MSF course, buy some used leathers. Do soemthing with the $$ that will help you use the bike to it's fullest. A pipe and jet will go with the bike if you sell it...an MSF or leathers you get to keep. IMHO, of course.
Yes, sir. I've already bought all my gear, and I did a MSF course a week before I got my bike. I got the bike used with 2k miles on it, and I know I'm gonna buy a bigger bike sometime next year, I just thought it would make sense to start out with something a little smaller.

The only thing is, I can't stand that I have to revv it to 6k to get any power out of it and then when I hit 9 or 10k then all my power drops. I'm trying to work out a way to get more power throughout the entire RPM range. Some are saying Jet kit, air filter, and exhaust will help out a lot with that. I really don't care much about top speed- I just enjoy those fast take offs at lights It would be fun to have a little more power on the lower RPM range

So, I've been debating whether I should do anything at all to it, because I know by July 2012, CBR600rr or Zx6r. Not sure which one yet...

Old June 24th, 2011, 11:09 AM   #10
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
My main objective is to make my bike louder
If you do this, I'd suggest: http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Earplugs
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2011, 11:11 AM   #11
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
Yes, sir. I've already bought all my gear, and I did a MSF course a week before I got my bike. I got the bike used with 2k miles on it, and I know I'm gonna buy a bigger bike sometime next year, I just thought it would make sense to start out with something a little smaller.

The only thing is, I can't stand that I have to revv it to 6k to get any power out of it and then when I hit 9 or 10k then all my power drops. I'm trying to work out a way to get more power throughout the entire RPM range. Some are saying Jet kit, air filter, and exhaust will help out a lot with that. I really don't care much about top speed- I just enjoy those fast take offs at lights It would be fun to have a little more power on the lower RPM range

So, I've been debating whether I should do anything at all to it, because I know by July 2012, CBR600rr or Zx6r. Not sure which one yet...
At least you started on the "right" bike. lol
Spend your money on a trackday or 2. LEARN LEARN LEARN.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2011, 02:31 PM   #12
Suave
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
At least you started on the "right" bike. lol
Spend your money on a trackday or 2. LEARN LEARN LEARN.

Yea, I'm taking it to the track AFTER I get my frame sliders I do need to learn, Id like a wide open space to just do fast turns so I wont panic when I do it on the road! I was riding on US129 the other day and went through a turn too fast and I didnt know the road was still wet there (in the shade and under the trees) and panicked; the back of my bike was fishtailing all over the place that was almost a disaster. When I regained control of the bike I was in the wrong lane and about to cruise off of a mountain. (so very important lesson learned that night- dont try to keep up with others).

About how much does it cost to go to the track?

Old June 26th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #13
Buffalony

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

SLLR......!!

Slow....Look.....Lean.....Roooollll on the throttle

One of the valuble things taught in an MSF course, not during a rough day at the track.

Money that could save your life. spend it on the course. Learn to ride before you upgrade to something that sounds meaner. If it sounds meaner you'll ride more agressivly.

Old June 26th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #14
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
When I regained control of the bike I was in the wrong lane and about to cruise off of a mountain.
Whoa!

Did you have to change your pants after? Glad you hear that nothing bad really happened.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #15
Suave
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
Whoa!

Did you have to change your pants after? Glad you hear that nothing bad really happened.
No, but it sure as hell humbled me. I can't describe the feeling on helplessness that one has as the back tire is shifting left and right while you are running out of road to slide on lol

@Buffalony: I did take the course, I know the mechanics going into corners. On that first week of riding on my own though, I had the idea if I go as fast as the guy in front of me id be fine... Big mistake. Those guys were going way too fast and I didn't realize until I was about to glide down the hillside. The reason I wanna learn how to corner faster: if I misjudge a corner again and come in too fast, I know what to do; rather than just slam the rear brake for some stupid reason