ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old August 26th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #1
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

First freeway ride...kinda boring actually

So I hit 250 miles this morning and decided to finally take the freeway to work and hop on the freeway for the first time. I was a little nervous as I was waiting at the light to get on the on ramp but then once I got on it went away.

First thing I noticed is how windy it felt and how it seemed like a really strong gust of wind could knock me around quite easily. None of the vents on my jacket were open but if they were I can only imagine how much worse it would of felt and how full of air my jacket would of gotten lol

I felt like I needed to tuck in to get over the windy feeling, so I think maybe a double bubble will help with that. I imagined myself looking like a douche tucking in on a tiny Ninja 250 lol

It's a really quick ride to work, hardly any cars, and all in the same lane. I felt kind of let down by how boring it was but I'm glad it was boring my first time so I wasn't freaking out with traffic. I think I'll ride the freeway in the mornings and ride the streets in the afternoon until I get more comfortable. I'd hate to ride through in traffic, it just seems like the most horrible time to ride a bike.

#KCCO
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2011, 09:54 AM   #2
U5er
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

I saw your practice videos and I applaud your freeway milestone, but your lack of experience can get you into a lot of trouble using a freeway. After about the same riding time as you, 400Km, I got into an accident. Take it easy out there bud. I am at 1200 now and I still haven't hopped on the freeway.
U5er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #3
YORCHI
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by U5er View Post
I saw your practice videos and I applaud your freeway milestone, but your lack of experience can get you into a lot of trouble using a freeway. After about the same riding time as you, 400Km, I got into an accident. Take it easy out there bud. I am at 1200 now and I still haven't hopped on the freeway.
I have been doing everything very carefully and making sure to stay within my skill level. I felt confident enough to hop on the freeway knowing that in the morning there is no traffic on my route to work and it is a very short ride. It takes me 8 minutes to get to work from where I live and half of that time is spent on the street waiting for the lights to change. I hear what you're saying, and I am being careful. I won't take the freeway home today after work because it's really bad on the way home with cars and traffic. I'll take the streets instead, it's the same distance and about the same time.

#KCCO

Old August 26th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #4
Azhyen
ninjette.org Pirate

Name: Seph

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

It may be boring, but don't slack on attention. Anything can happen on freeways. I've had a couple close calls that could've ended bad if I weren't being attentive. Stay safe everyone!

Old August 26th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #5
U5er
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Good to hear man. Are you finding it easier to upshift when using the higher speeds? I noticed in the videos you were doing it smoothly and slowly on lower revs. Has this helped you understand the bike a bit more?
U5er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2011, 10:05 AM   #6
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

The freeway in many ways is safer than the streets because all cars are going in one direction and you can anticipate when people will be merging. FYI, on freeways, left most lane in the right position is considered safest. At least that's what I've been told. The reason is because if necessary you can either lane split or move to the left AND most importantly, you're less likely to be in a car's blind spot. Being in the far left of the left lane causes you to be in the outskirts of most car's mirrors. If I'm wrong about any of this, please correct me.

Also, I'm about 6ft and before putting on the double bubble, the wind was smacking me square in the chest. With the double bubble, it skims the top of my helmet. This is with me sitting up. Tucked in, i'm fully out of the wind. If you were refering to cross winds, trust physics. The bike will stabilize itself if you dont hold the handlebars too tightly and stay relaxed.

Goodluck and stay out of blind spots.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #7
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Intersections are where most accidents occur which is on the streets. Everyone is moving in the same direction on the freeway, people are less likely to brake, road surface is cleaner, less curvy, etc.

It's more dangerous because you're moving a lot faster so less reaction time and accidents will probably be more severe (but very unlikely to have any direct impacts or T-bones). Once you get comfortable though, being on the freeway during traffic is kind of awesome since you can lane split

But yes, freeways are boring.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #8
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moe

Motorcycle(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhyen View Post
It may be boring, but don't slack on attention. Anything can happen on freeways. I've had a couple close calls that could've ended bad if I weren't being attentive. Stay safe everyone!
True, things happen a lot faster on the freeway.

I know you're not there yet but when you start taking longer rides on the freeway keep your SA up. Stop for a stretch and a drink if you feel groggy or out of it. You know that feeling when you've been driving for so long on a freeway then you realize you can't remember the last 15 minutes of your drive? That's very dangerous on a bike.

Look out for sudden traffic stops and always keep a good cushion in front of you. To me, keeping the cushion of space in front of you is the most important thing.

One time I was coming over a hill going a little too fast, and on the other side traffic had almost completely stopped for whatever reason. I had a huge distance between me and the car in front but even so, before I knew it I was closing in to the back of that car so fast I was like and had to emergency brake and when I couldn't get the bike stopped in time I had to throw in a swerve real quick to get around. The car in front even noticed me braking and moved to the left to give me more room (never happens). Luckily I made it out of that one, but it scared me straight. A combo of inexperience, speed, and lack of awareness almost got me.

Also, watch out on off ramps and look for the posted speed sign for that ramp. A lot of accidents happen to motorcyclists on off ramps because of excessive speed.

As you ride more you should be having less and less "oh sh*t!" moments. Respect your bike and the road you are riding on. Realize that the sh*t could hit the fan at anytime. Be confident, but always ride with a little fear. It will keep you alive!

Old August 26th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #9
YORCHI
n00b

Thanks for the tips everyone!

It'll be a while before I even consider going on a ride/cruise on the freeway but I wanted to do it today to get it out of the way and know that if I ever need to get on the freeway I can know what to expect. I think all the comfort and confidence will come with time so I'm in no rush to get anywhere quickly. It's taken me like a month and a half to hit 250 miles so that should show that I've been really patient and staying within my means and skill level.

#KCCO

Old August 26th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #10
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Tips for freeway riding.

1. Watch out for semi-truck tire debris. If the car in front of you runs it over, it will launch out airborne like a missle. If you hit it on the road, it can make you dump your bike.
2. Wear earplugs for long distance rides. The wind noise can and will make your ears ring, or make you deaf.
3. Stay away from semi-trucks as much as possible, and dont ride behind them.
4. If there is a HOV lane, use it if legally allowed to do so.
5. NEVER, EVER tailgate. EVER.
6. Always have an escape route. Know what you are going to do ahead of time if the person in front of you slams on the brakes. If you intend to use the shoulder, dont stop once you go into it, chances are the dump truck behind you has the same escape route.
7. Ride off center in your lane. Cars will straddle debris in the road, you cant.
8. Stay away from boat trailers, RV's, and pickup trucks with stuff tied down in the back.
9. Check tire pressure, chain lube, engine oil, brake fluid, fuel before you go.
10. Make sure your passenger seat is FIRMLY locked into place.
11. Watch your mirrors.
12. Loosen up, and let the bike do its thing. Dont white-knuckle it.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #11
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
I'm 99.9% sure that it's legal in every state because of a federal law. Not in Canada though
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2011, 12:48 PM   #12
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
once i was in the fast lane on the highway, a rebel 250 was in the slow lane ahead of me (3 lane highway)... we came up on traffic and the rebel did some interesting driving and clipped the back of a car, spinning the bike directly toward me... had to hit the brakes and swerve between the bike and debris. the guy wound up in the #2 lane. definitely a butt-pucker moment that came unexpectedly. don't let your guard down on the freeway.

Old August 26th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #13
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

Quote:
Tips for freeway riding.

1. Watch out for semi-truck tire debris. If the car in front of you runs it over, it will launch out airborne like a missle. If you hit it on the road, it can make you dump your bike.
2. Wear earplugs for long distance rides. The wind noise can and will make your ears ring, or make you deaf.
3. Stay away from semi-trucks as much as possible, and dont ride behind them.
5. NEVER, EVER tailgate. EVER.
6. Always have an escape route. Know what you are going to do ahead of time if the person in front of you slams on the brakes. If you intend to use the shoulder, dont stop once you go into it, chances are the dump truck behind you has the same escape route.
7. Ride off center in your lane. Cars will straddle debris in the road, you cant.
8. Stay away from boat trailers, RV's, and pickup trucks with stuff tied down in the back.
9. Check tire pressure, chain lube, engine oil, brake fluid, fuel before you go.
11. Watch your mirrors.
^ This
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #14
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesio View Post
Be confident, but always ride with a little fear. It will keep you alive!
+1 good rule of thumb for any time you're out on the road; no matter what vehicle or what road
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #15
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
All real good advice.
When changing lanes use mirrors then look EVERY TIME.

As you change lanes and twist your head around don't snap it around .The weight of the helmet and the wind can hurt your neck. The head turn and the blinker will hopefully signal the traffic behind you that you are going to change lanes.
But don't just jump into the next lane. Go to the edge of you own lane.Then change to the edge of the lane you want to be in. Just cross the line. Then move to the center or whatever part of the lane you want to ride in. This gives you and the cager that is talking on the phone and eating a sandwich while shaving a "second chance" not to kill you .
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #16
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

Quote:
Tips for freeway riding.
10. And your tailbag, if you have one. Ask me how I know .

12. I came here to say this: loosening up is the best way to deal with the getting blown around. If you stiffen up a little, the wind makes you steer the bike slightly which makes the getting blown around feeling 10 times worse. Every now and then, when nobody's watching make sure you can flap your elbows like a bird. It's a good way to see if you're loose enough on the bars
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #17
MotoED
ninjette.org guru

Name: Edd

Motorcycle(s): 2011 SE Pearl/Ebony Ninja 250R

I also recently just got on the freeway for my 1st time on my ninjette. I had a fear of getting on it because of the high speeds, since im a newbie and was only riding local. For me, it wasn't that boring I got to go 80mph! And it felt great!
MotoED is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2011, 07:04 AM   #18
miss_syn
my hair matches my bike

Name: Tiffany

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red 250r

Bringing the Ninjette home was an 80 mile ride on highway and country roads. I was expecting the wind and while it does blow you around if you loosen up it's drastically reduced.

I honestly felt more comfortable on the highway because I had driven the road hundreds of times. The country road was a little more nerve wracking because then I had to have decent turns and deal with a lot of intersections, other cars riding closer on my tail, etc.
miss_syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #19
YORCHI
n00b

I'll try the loosening up more thing. I went from far right of lane to far left when I passed an rv and I felt myself stiffening up trying to edge it to the right again.

#KCCO

Old August 27th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #20
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by YORCHI View Post
I'll try the loosening up more thing. I went from far right of lane to far left when I passed an rv and I felt myself stiffening up trying to edge it to the right again.
That's normal. Just dont freak out when it happens. Everytime you pass a semi or RV expect some crosswind. It happens in cars too. Sometimes when the cross winds push you, you need to constantly give a little steering to stay in the lane. Just dont tense up and grip the handlebars too tightly. Grip the tank and countersteer gently.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #21
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by YORCHI View Post
I felt like I needed to tuck in to get over the windy feeling, so I think maybe a double bubble will help with that. I imagined myself looking like a douche tucking in on a tiny Ninja 250 lol
Like someone else said, don't feel like a douche when you tuck. I'm usually tucking down once I hit 70 or more, depending on cross winds. I do feel a bit silly when I get swiftly passed by another car when I'm tucked down but they're not dealing with the wind as they cut through it at 80mph.

As a side note, after switching from a mesh jacket to a leather jacket I did notice how much more resistance I have to deal with when sitting up on my highway rides. Didn't really think about how the freer flowing mesh jacket would catch less air and have found myself tucking down at lower speeds on particularly windy days.
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote