ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old January 7th, 2013, 02:41 PM   #1
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Removing the bar ends

Ok, so awhile back I laid the bike down, and it damaged the bar ends, specifically, it chewed up the screw head that holds on the bar ends.

Fast forward to two weeks ago, I went to install heated grips on the bike, got the left side off ok, but trying to get the right side off it just stripped the head out. So I went down and bought some screw extractors from sears, and that is the last time I ever buy anything from craftsman. I'm done with their made in china garbage.

I broke two drill bits from the set, couldn't even try to get the extractors themselves in, and the second bit that broke off, ended up slamming into the fairings and did some damage there that won't just buff out.

So now I'm thinking it's time to just buy a new bar end and cut this one off. I figure if I cut it at the right depth, it should cut off the head of the screw, the bar end should come off, and there should be enough screw sticking out that I can get some locking pliers on it and muscle it out. I really don't want to screw up my handlebar though, I can't afford to replace it right now, I really don't want to replace my bar end.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is there anything different about this side that will cause me to damage something or make it not work? It would work on the other side, but this side has the throttle, so I don't know what's different under there.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #2
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

You probably should have torched the bar end before applying the easy out, the small ones usually aren't made for loctite removal.

If the screw is not bent from the crash you can drill out the head and try vise grips.

Otherwise, i would go to sears to exchange the bits, then a propane torch and small tank and try again.

Old January 7th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #3
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Never mind I got it.

I was going to try to use the biggest bit to drill out just the head, it was about the right size, but it dulled out before going in far enough.... (what is that, a quarter inch? F*** Craftsman junk)

Anyway, there was that little hole, so I put a vise grip on the bar end, twisted it a little, which broke loose the screw just a little bit, and I stuck the easy out in there and tried to turn it out. It just spun in there, so I stuck the easy out in the vise grips and put sideways pressure on it, it was just enough to get it to bit enough to turn it out.

Now I get to put that heated grip on, I'm tired of having one hand frozen stiff on my way home.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote