ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 22nd, 2010, 07:36 PM   #1
ScorpionNinja
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Who rides a 2009 Ninja 650R?

Anyone here?

An 2009 Ninja 650R!

Have you rode 2UP on it?
-how does it feel for both of you?

What are the bikes Pros and Cons, Vs the 2009 250R?

Honest answers im seeking, because im looking into 50/50 selling my 250R for a New 0 miles, 2009 Ninja 650R (Red or Green).

Since no dealer will let you DEMO RIDE a 650R, im asking you guys your 411 with your bikes!

I dont have room for 2 motorcycles, or else i would keep my 250. Im hoping the 2009 650R will allow 2x longer rides between butt breaks and better highway communting!

Thanks!
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2010, 09:18 PM   #2
Flow
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R/'10 ZX6R/'02 YZ125/'06 DRZ125L/'05 Blaster

I rode a 2008 650R (same thing) before I got my 250R.
Eventually I sold the 650R and picked up a ZX6R.

The only thing I really liked about it compared to the 250R was that it was easier to pass cars on the interstate with it.

I didn't care for the FI as the only mechanic I trusted was an old-timer who wouldn't have been able to fix it if it went wrong.

I've never ridden 2-up on any of my streetbikes because I'm a safety freak when it comes to the street. I'll only carry a passenger for an emergency.

Seat was as hard as a rock, which doesn't bother me; just something worth noting.

If all you're really after is better highway commuting (seats can be changed), it may suit you.

I'm sorry this isn't really an extensive pros-and-cons list, but it really all comes down to opinion and I'm not very good with expression at 11 at night.
Flow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2010, 09:28 PM   #3
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

The 650 is a downgrade from the 250 in my opinion. It looks terrible, and the riding position is even more upright than the 250. I'd say skip it and go to a 600 supersport if you want a bigger bike...

Old August 22nd, 2010, 10:56 PM   #4
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
The 650 is a downgrade from the 250 in my opinion. It looks terrible, and the riding position is even more upright than the 250. I'd say skip it and go to a 600 supersport if you want a bigger bike...
Not if you are looking for a more comfortable highway and 2up ride. The supersport may be what you're looking for, but it isn't for everyone. Some people want the more upright sitting position rather then laying down over the bike like you get on a supersport. So it's not a downgrade, it's an upgrade, just not the upgrade YOU are looking for.

To the OP:

I wish I could give you a decent report on the 650, but since I haven't ridden one either I am unable to do so. Although I will say that I am eying them myself for a future upgrade. I don't need, nor really want, a street legal race bike like the supersports. That's not what I want to do with riding. I'm more into cruising, being comfortable, and just relaxing on the bike. With all the reviews I've read on the 650r that's exactly what it does. Although many have complained about the seat. So if that's what you are looking for as well then perhaps get one, and then change the seat like I've seen many other 650r riders do.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 22nd, 2010, 11:58 PM   #5
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

I rode one on a demo day I did not like the instruments but I suppose you would get used to them, the riding position I found quite nice and the bike had a nice solid feel. There was a fair bit of vibration form the motor and the stock exhaust is quite loud, the gear change is much better than the 250R and so is the suspension. I was going to buy one but the dealer was not interested in taking my 250R so I bought a GSX 650 F the I4 motor is so much better.

Steve

Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:38 AM   #6
Flow
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R/'10 ZX6R/'02 YZ125/'06 DRZ125L/'05 Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
the bike had a nice solid feel.
Mine sure didn't: after about a month the side fairings started rattling. Imagine my surprise when I found out this was common.
Flow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 07:25 AM   #7
M
ninjette.org member

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 x2, Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionNinja
Since no dealer will let you DEMO RIDE a 650R, im asking you guys your 411 with your bikes!
Find another dealer! I would never buy a cycle that I couldn't ride first. You could also find someone who'll let you briefly ride their 650R.

I'll have had my '07 650R four years next month. I've only ridden two-up a few times, but it's capable two-up sport touring bike. My 650R has a ZG touring windscreen, which moved the buffeting up to the top of my helmet.

For two-up, I'd recommend the UK passenger rails. It allows your passenger to hang on, when not wrapped around the driver.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 07:26 AM   #8
M
ninjette.org member

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 x2, Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo
Not if you are looking for a more comfortable highway and 2up ride. The supersport may be what you're looking for, but it isn't for everyone. Some people want the more upright sitting position rather then laying down over the bike like you get on a supersport. So it's not a downgrade, it's an upgrade, just not the upgrade YOU are looking for.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:05 PM   #9
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
Not if you are looking for a more comfortable highway and 2up ride.
Sitting bolt upright to have 80mph wind hit me square in the chest is not my idea of a comfortable highway ride.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:23 PM   #10
ScorpionNinja

guys, thanks for the feedback!

ok, so things i didnt mention in my OP, that i should've i guess...

well the 250 is a great bike in all, but its not a versitle enuff bike for me. Riding 2UP is what i do ALOT and my GF and I dont really like it. I know sportbikes ARENT AS comfy to 2UP vs other bikes, i knew this when i was buying my 250, but i never knew i was gonna 2UP alot or ride on the highway ALOT,etc!

I would LOVE to have a ZX-6R, as a 2nd or 3rd bike if i could Stable 2-3 bikes, but i cant. Nor would a ZX-6R be comfy for 2UP as Often as i do 2UP riding.
The superman leaning forward more postion is worse then the 250.
Ive sat on afew ZX-6R, ZX-10Rs with my GF sitting on the back in the showroom, to get a feel and i can tell ya, without riding the bike, it would be harder on me than my 250.

Reason for 2009 650R, aside from a 06-08 650R?
Looks, i cant stand the 06-08 looks. Its just a different looking 250 FACE!

Also, ive read about the small upgrades and changes on the 2009.

2010 they upgraded the radiator (larger by 40MM to aid in better cooling) but I can save a shiiiit load of money getting a 2009 for $4,800 NEW 0 miles, than a 2010 for $7,000 NEW 0 miles.

Why get a 2010 when it costs thousands more, yet is the SAME bike!

Ill also note that the 650R is like 62-65HP. which is great and near perfect HP for what my motorcycle lifestyle needs at this very moment!

I dont need a 100HP supersport. Im too poor to afford to do a trackday every weekend, where having a ZX-6R would be AWESOME, but its just not gonna happen.

Varies motorcycle magizine reviews (or websites) on the 2009-2010 ninja 650R are great.

The bike sounds like what would be the Ideal next bike for my current needs!

650R yes, ive seen the passenger grab handles you can buy as an accessary for the back, so my GF can hold on them and Less on me!

I just got off the phone with State Farm.

I pay $377/yr on my 250R.

a 2009 650R would be $560/yr.

State Farm is the lowest price around here, at least for me and my perfect driving record!

Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:24 PM   #11
ScorpionNinja

Quote:
Sitting bolt upright to have 80mph wind hit me square in the chest is not my idea of a comfortable highway ride.
you must be a Tall dude then!

Im only 5'9". So i think the winds will effect me much less.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:29 PM   #12
ScorpionNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by M View Post
Find another dealer! I would never buy a cycle that I couldn't ride first. You could also find someone who'll let you briefly ride their 650R.

I'll have had my '07 650R four years next month. I've only ridden two-up a few times, but it's capable two-up sport touring bike. My 650R has a ZG touring windscreen, which moved the buffeting up to the top of my helmet.

For two-up, I'd recommend the UK passenger rails. It allows your passenger to hang on, when not wrapped around the driver.
Ive talked to the 10 nearest dealers on the phone, within 75 miles of my house and NONE DEMO RIDE bikes!

Now, if i was getting a BMW bike, the BMW dealers off lots of DEMO bikes around here. Im not looking for a BMW, nor would i afford one lol.

Im just saying that all the honda/kawi/yamaha/suzuki dealers DONT do DEMO rides (period). Michigan dealers SUCK IMO.

I cant afford to take time off work or afford to "fly down" to a dealer or two, afew states away to DEMO ride a 650R or such either!

I dont know anyone with a 650R either!

Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:54 PM   #13
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionNinja View Post
650R yes, ive seen the passenger grab handles you can buy as an accessary for the back, so my GF can hold on them and Less on me!
This does not sound like a positive selling point to me.....

Also consider the Suzuki SV650S. A very capable bike, by all accounts... popular with club racers (which the 650R is not, unless I've missed something), lots o' torque. Somebody out there has tweaked his to be a great sport touring bike and has documented all he's done. Very nice.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:58 PM   #14
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post

Also consider the Suzuki SV650S. A very capable bike, by all accounts... popular with club racers (which the 650R is not, unless I've missed something), lots o' torque. Somebody out there has tweaked his to be a great sport touring bike and has documented all he's done. Very nice.
haha, Andrew, good point

Maybe they are ready to release you to a Level 4 detention block
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 01:13 PM   #15
ScorpionNinja

I'll just dump the GF and wont have to worry about riding 2UP anymore!!!

Now if only i could get the 250 up to 65HP but still have 60 MPG..... hmmm..........

Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:17 PM   #16
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
As I said, it's all in the rider. I for one don't find the leaned over position of a supersport in the least bit comfortable for any riding. I'm more comfortable sitting more upright where I can better shift my weight around for long distances. The wind isn't a big deal to me, I find it relaxing cause it keeps me cool.

Like I said, the 650r may not be for you. That's fine, just don't try to convince others that they should be riding your choice of bike when that bike isn't in their comfort zone. Other then that, it's all good.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:46 PM   #17
ScorpionNinja

sombo, Resnob didnt get my question i guess. From what i see, its like this "Selling 250r for a 650R....." replies with first thought in his head "get a zx-6r so you can be fast". ignoring the points i made about "riding 2UP alot".

with your girl on back, ride a zx6r 2UP for 300 miles.

with your girl on back, ride a 650R... or better yet a Goldwing 2UP for 300miles.

zx6r WONT make your ass or your girls ass anymore comfy or i doubt you could ride that full 300 miles "without" taking a 30 min butt break!

Its ok though, ive asked the same question in the other fourms for owners of 650Rs their feedback on their bikes, so i can get a better idea of the bike.

as for the seat... sure it sucks, Fact: all stock seats SUCK!!! If i grow tired of it, ill DIY cutting/adding foam in shape of my butt. Ive done this to my 250 and it just doesnt help much for 2UP.

anyhow, i think thats all the feedback ill get, bring on the corrections and flaming

then again, its my fault for not posting more detailed info and questions i guess!

Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:51 PM   #18
ScorpionNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post

oh, i have looked at that SV650, i just dont like it.

i really wish dealerships here in michigan did DEMO RIDE DAYS, so i could get real riding to make my mind up!

Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:54 PM   #19
gogiburn
ninjette.org member

Name: RIP

Motorcycle(s): have 24

Bought my GF a 2010 which is the same as the 2009.Awsome bike.Great riding position not bent over,looks great,and handles like a dream.I have 29 bikes between us including an EX 500 race bike.The 650 is so easy to ride fast.The suspension is hard (brand new but don't think it''s going to get a whole lot softer)I end up and her too going a lot faster then intended .Have not ridden 2 up but I would think it would help the suspension with the extra weight.Can't say enough good things about it.One thing Is it is HOT.I intend to wrap the exaust headers with insulation to lower the heat coming off the bike.
Posted via Mobile Device
gogiburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 07:04 PM   #20
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionNinja View Post
I can save a shiiiit load of money getting a 2009 for $4,800 NEW 0 miles, than a 2010 for $7,000 NEW 0 miles.
For under 5K I would upgrade to a 650 in a heartbeat. Never ridden one myself but at that price I would learn to love it. You should also check out the Yamaha fz-6r. Dealer in my area has 09's at huge discounts and it's an I4 like the Suzuki.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2010, 07:17 PM   #21
ScorpionNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogiburn View Post
Can't say enough good things about it.One thing Is it is HOT.I intend to wrap the exaust headers with insulation to lower the heat coming off the bike.
Posted via Mobile Device
that might be the reason kawi upped the 2010s radiator 40MM in size, from the 2009's? to help with overheating issues. (i think only if you live in AZ or TX)

Im going up to Motorcity powersports tomorrow after work. Gonna check out a Red and Green 2009's for sale! Ill see if i can get them to throw in the passenger grab handles Free, as part of the OTD price!!! "Or i walk..."

as for selling my bike, screw trading it in. dealer only will give me $1,900 for it. i could get $3000-ish selling myself. Only problem is season is almost over and might not find a buyer. heh

Old August 24th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #22
drowe531
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250 (sold); 2008 Plasma Blue Ninja 250

If you do upgrade feel free to leave a comparison. I've actually had similar thoughts about selling the 250 and getting a 650 but its just a thought right now.
drowe531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #23
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
For under 5K I would upgrade to a 650 in a heartbeat. Never ridden one myself but at that price I would learn to love it. You should also check out the Yamaha fz-6r. Dealer in my area has 09's at huge discounts and it's an I4 like the Suzuki.
+1 on the FZ6 and FZ6R deals
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #24
gogiburn
ninjette.org member

Sorry if my post was misleading>The bike DOESN'T OVERHEAT! It throws alot of heat off the exaust onto the right leg.I feel wrapping the exuast in header wrap will stop it and make the bike run stronger
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 24th, 2010, 12:30 PM   #25
gogiburn
ninjette.org member

I've seen 2009 brand new for $4599 on Ebay from dealers
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 24th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #26
pooter
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250

I've never bought a bike new from a dealer, but wtf is that a normal thing to not let people demo ride bikes?

Also I'm seriously considering the 650 or the SV650s as an eventual upgrade too. The upright position for me on the 650 in particular is a bonus for me.
pooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 01:18 PM   #27
Tofergstaff
Stealthy Ninjette

Name: Tofer

Motorcycle(s): 09' Kawi Ninja 250R

Yeah scorpion up here by me in the lansing area alone there are a couple really nice SV650's I almost bought one instead of the ninja because it was actually cheaper. Few thousand more miles and a earlier year but for the price it was a steal. Only reason I didnt get it was because the 250R seemed to be a better starter bike. But the SV650 and FZ6 or even the ER-6N would defiantly be on the top of my list as a next bike.
Tofergstaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 02:19 PM   #28
toast
ninjette.org member

Name: Laurie

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

A friend of mine has an '09 650R that he "kinda" likes and my husband has an '09 FZ6R. The Yamaha has a much better build quality, and I find the riding position more comfortable...good thing since it's going to be mine either next year or 2012
toast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #29
QtrLitre
ninjette.org newbie

Name: I

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 650R

I had an 02 250R from Jan to Aug of 09, a 09 650R from Aug 09 to Feb 10.

The upright position was great for the commute. Loved the gain in power going to the 650. The wind really catches you [buffeting] I have read code, Ienatsch, and polen's books and I could not get the body position stuff [clamping the tank with your legs etc...] to work for me on that bike i kept getting the numb right arm. You also are in this half leaned over half upright thing with the stock bars so when I wanted to be as down as i could I had to do it dirt tracker style left arm off the bar.

In the serious twisties [I am in AZ just map jerome arizona or highway 89A] I got some really hard engine braking from that bike, body position would be good and I would be light on the bars and i would just slide right up to the tank and crush my junk on the stock seat. Not a lot of aftermarket goodies compared to the supersports.

Even with all that I really liked that bike I rode every chance i got I even rode it from Phoenix to L.A. for the motorcycle show in long beach last year [went to the rock store while i was out there epic.......] Put 6500 miles on her. I just couldn't work out the ergos. I am curious if that seat was made like the Vstrom where it loops back up to the tank if I could have worked out the sliding thing. You wanted honest so thats what i got for ya.

I bought a leftover 09 ZX-6R in feb and sold the 650. Man I love it strangely I am very comfortable on it none of the issues of the 650. I'm 5'9" about 160 if that helps.
QtrLitre is offline   Reply With Quote