ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old January 13th, 2021, 04:51 AM   #1
BloodFX
ninjette.org member

Name: Dude

Motorcycle(s): kawasaki eliminator 250 d4

Fuel injection

Hi I was wondering is the ecotrons kit the only way to FI an old 250ee or can parts be swapped from the FI model onto the old models?
BloodFX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2021, 08:59 AM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Ecotrons is worse way, low-quality and nothing but trouble. There's A LOT more needed in parts and labour than what's included in their kit. Best path is Microsquirt. One major component is software and using it to use tune. Download both and try it out.

Check out greg737's Microsquirt EFI on Ninja 250 and Bandit 400.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54500
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34208
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92695
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99353
http://forums.banditalley.net/suzuki...ection-project

There's also buying Ninja 250 EFi components from Europe & Japan and converting bike into foreign model.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; January 13th, 2021 at 06:00 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2021, 04:07 PM   #3
BloodFX
ninjette.org member

So at end of your post you said about buying efi parts from europe and japan, are you say parts are swappable?

Thanks!

Old January 13th, 2021, 06:00 PM   #4
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFX View Post
So at end of your post you said about buying efi parts from europe and japan, are you say parts are swappable?

Thanks!
Yes, it can be done. Very expensive out of all options. And you won't be able to program ECU until you buy additional software. Parts list includes following but I may be leaving some stuff out:

- wiring harness
- ECU
- flywheel
- airbox with IAT
- MAP sensor
- ECT sensor
- throttle-bodies with TPS
- injectors
- ignition coils
- tank & pump
- petrol hoses & fuel-filter
- gauge cluster

What is measurable goal with converting to EFI?

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; January 15th, 2021 at 07:27 PM.

Old January 14th, 2021, 03:10 AM   #5
BloodFX
ninjette.org member

I just hate carbs lol.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old January 14th, 2021, 11:37 AM   #6
DannoXYZ

Quote:
I just hate carbs lol.
If you're keeping bike mostly stock with no need for programmability, then factory system is simplest to install. No wideband-O2 or dyno-tuning needed. Truly plug-n-play.

Good resource is http://cmsnl.com to find part# of EFI components for foreign bikes. Then search on part#, can find on eBay.co.uk or auctions.yahoo.co.jp .

Old January 14th, 2021, 02:22 PM   #7
BloodFX
ninjette.org member

Its an el250, will the side swung exhaust affect afr?

Old January 14th, 2021, 06:28 PM   #8
Ceeloo Yello
ninjette.org guru

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): 250

I've been wanting to do the swap for years

Old January 15th, 2021, 08:16 AM   #9
BloodFX
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
If you're keeping bike mostly stock with no need for programmability, then factory system is simplest to install. No wideband-O2 or dyno-tuning needed. Truly plug-n-play.

Good resource is http://cmsnl.com to find part# of EFI components for foreign bikes. Then search on part#, can find on eBay.co.uk or auctions.yahoo.co.jp .
I'm gonna do it, is there anyway to do away with airbox completely?

Last futzed with by BloodFX; January 16th, 2021 at 02:17 PM.

Old January 15th, 2021, 04:40 PM   #10
Ceeloo Yello
ninjette.org guru

Did pregens ever come stock with FI or do you have to look at euro model 2008+?

Old January 15th, 2021, 07:27 PM   #11
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Its an el250, will the side swung exhaust affect afr?
Shouldn't be a problem.
Quote:
I'm gonna do it, is there anyway to do away with airbox completely?

Anyway heres my bike, custom restoration 27 years old, I just want fuel injection now.

Before:

After:
That's pretty cool work!!

ECU needs accurate measurement of intake air-temp, so you can remove air-box. But needs a place with steady and stable air-supply from outside for IAT-sensor to measure. Need to keep it from getting battered with hot air that's swirling all around engine area.

Old January 16th, 2021, 04:22 PM   #12
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Ecotrons is worse way, low-quality and nothing but trouble. There's A LOT more needed in parts and labour than what's included in their kit. Best path is Microsquirt. One major component is software and using it to use tune. Download both and try it out.
Honestly if you have access to a dyno and can adjust the VE tables and forget all about using the learning mode (with narrowband sensors), the ecotrons setup has all the hardware to be a solid running system. Completely agree though, there's a lot of time in it.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2021, 04:26 PM   #13
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
I just hate carbs lol.
As someone who went through the hassle of the ecotrons kit, did a ton of time tuning (sent them tons of updates for their cold start, VE, and lambda tables), and eventually went back to the factory carbs... stick with the carbs. They're incredibly robust, easy to adjust, and functional.

if you really hate carbs that much, sell the bike. There's no sugar coating it.

Old January 17th, 2021, 07:21 AM   #14
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
though I respect any owners wishes to do what they want with their own....I'll agree the proposed undertaking is not gonna be as "bolt-on" nor simple and easy as...click heels twice before turning key. Vroom vroom go go.

Expect fitment trials and issues, extensive research and labor, required alternative parts swapping, ongoing tune mapping requirements, on and on.

I'd agree and suggest getting the existing carbs and entire fuel system clean and functional and *keeping it that way* is in your best interests. Sure, as on any carbed bike some ongoing preventative maintenance will be required, but not constantly demanded. Consistent use of clean fuel, additive and some forward thinking. Predict in advance any long term dormancy or winter storage, modify maintenance techniques accordingly.
Avoid any outdoor long term storage. Ride it!

Buy an FI model when so moved. Tons of great, affordable choices out there!
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2021, 04:54 AM   #15
BloodFX
ninjette.org member

I respect all of your opinions, but I'm very adamant I want to do it, I just believe anything easy isn't worth it and I like to be custom.

Any help on what parts to buy from what year bike would be awesome, on this awesome adventure.

Old January 19th, 2021, 08:16 AM   #16
DannoXYZ

You'll want to look for non-U.S. 250s. Starting in 2008 is when EFI was used. I don't think pre-gen models ever had EFI.

Old January 19th, 2021, 12:08 PM   #17
BloodFX
ninjette.org member

Quote:
You'll want to look for non-U.S. 250s. Starting in 2008 is when EFI was used. I don't think pre-gen models ever had EFI.
Including the fi engine casing to right?

Old January 19th, 2021, 12:34 PM   #18
Ceeloo Yello
ninjette.org guru

If you like not easy I have seen people convert their carbs to throttle-bodies, you can Google it

Old January 21st, 2021, 04:09 AM   #19
BloodFX
ninjette.org member

Found a problem already, the space is so tight I wouldn't have room to put a pump under the seat, unless I removed the airbox or make a custom airbox.

Is a custom small airbox possible?

Just wondering if it would affect the sensors, I could cut off the snorkel and use that as the intake, so it would be the same size intake.

Old January 21st, 2021, 11:03 AM   #20
DannoXYZ

maybe look for tank with pump built-in? Or retrofit your tank with in-tank pump. Can cut iut and braze in section from 300 tank perhaps? Or use small inline pump, like small Walbro. Swirl pot not really necessary on street bike.

Sure, small airbox will work. Just need to be sealed from outside. IAT-sensor goes in after filter.

Old January 21st, 2021, 12:40 PM   #21
BloodFX
ninjette.org member

Quote:
maybe look for tank with pump built-in? Or retrofit your tank with in-tank pump. Can cut iut and braze in section from 300 tank perhaps? Or use small inline pump, like small Walbro. Swirl pot not really necessary on street bike.

Sure, small airbox will work. Just need to be sealed from outside. IAT-sensor goes in after filter.
Shall I just go with gregs pump and regulator?

Old January 21st, 2021, 01:48 PM   #22
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
You have an 88-07 bike, right? The ecotrons fuel pump will fit transverse if you mount it directly to the airbox.

If you want to experiment with plastic welding (basically a soldering iron and a ziptie as filler) you can strategically cut and notch the airbox for more space to the point I think it could be mounted longitudinally without much fuss and avoid the lean-angle-starvation I experienced at times, but be warned that reducing airbox volume reduces the benefit of having an airbox. If you go to far, you might as well go back to a pod filter. (that said, the airbox was designed in the mid-80's, so my guess is they were only designing to a target volume, rather than an optimized pressure response or flow characteristic. Keep the contours smoothed and you'll be fine if you go the notching route.

If you ditch the airbox, you can use some tin snips and sheet metal to create somewhat of a 4-sided or 5-sided box that's held on by the hose clamps of the pod filter. I did it when I was experimenting with that also. I ended up going back to the stock airbox. I remember did seem to smooth out the VE table a little (minimally).

Don't forget to cut the battery box off of the airbox. That's 90% of the downside of the airbox gone right there.

EDIT: the other thing I'd recommend if you're getting this deep into things is a Thermobob. It fixes the cooling system of this bike to function as it should with a bypass loop and a 180 thermostat. The effect is your engine gets up to operating temp quickly without oscillation, and stays there regardless of how hard you run the bike or how cool it is outside. Stable engine temps are helpful when you're altering fueling/timing based on temperatures.

EDIT2: the pump Greg used is a better option if you can fit it. The pump is submerged in its own sump inside the case. So while it's big, it acts as a surge tank/sump and minimizes/eliminates fuel starvation at high lean angle in sustained corners (assuming you ever track it).

Old January 21st, 2021, 04:17 PM   #23
BloodFX
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
You have an 88-07 bike, right? The ecotrons fuel pump will fit transverse if you mount it directly to the airbox.

If you want to experiment with plastic welding (basically a soldering iron and a ziptie as filler) you can strategically cut and notch the airbox for more space to the point I think it could be mounted longitudinally without much fuss and avoid the lean-angle-starvation I experienced at times, but be warned that reducing airbox volume reduces the benefit of having an airbox. If you go to far, you might as well go back to a pod filter. (that said, the airbox was designed in the mid-80's, so my guess is they were only designing to a target volume, rather than an optimized pressure response or flow characteristic. Keep the contours smoothed and you'll be fine if you go the notching route.

If you ditch the airbox, you can use some tin snips and sheet metal to create somewhat of a 4-sided or 5-sided box that's held on by the hose clamps of the pod filter. I did it when I was experimenting with that also. I ended up going back to the stock airbox. I remember did seem to smooth out the VE table a little (minimally).

Don't forget to cut the battery box off of the airbox. That's 90% of the downside of the airbox gone right there.

EDIT: the other thing I'd recommend if you're getting this deep into things is a Thermobob. It fixes the cooling system of this bike to function as it should with a bypass loop and a 180 thermostat. The effect is your engine gets up to operating temp quickly without oscillation, and stays there regardless of how hard you run the bike or how cool it is outside. Stable engine temps are helpful when you're altering fueling/timing based on temperatures.

EDIT2: the pump Greg used is a better option if you can fit it. The pump is submerged in its own sump inside the case. So while it's big, it acts as a surge tank/sump and minimizes/eliminates fuel starvation at high lean angle in sustained corners (assuming you ever track it).
Already have thermobob 3 its awesome.

Old January 24th, 2021, 04:30 AM   #24
atsmurat
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Murat

Motorcycle(s): r25

Quote:
'Hi I was wondering is the ecotrons kit the only way to FI an old 250ee or can parts be swapped from the FI model onto the old models?
you can check here : http://forums.banditalley.net/suzuki...ection-project
atsmurat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2021, 07:56 AM   #25
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Shall I just go with gregs pump and regulator?
sure, if you can fit it.

Old January 24th, 2021, 08:59 AM   #26
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

Simplest answer is to buy a wrecked 300 in USA & swap the left engine case & generator to get the FI pickup, then fit all the 300 loom, ecu, injection & an external fuel pump.

I've bought all the parts & was in the process of big boring the 300 when covid hit. But the plan is a complete engine, loom, ecu swap. Stalled at the moment with everything in lockdown & the fact I dislocated my shoulder ☹️

Last futzed with by Mohawk; January 31st, 2021 at 12:57 AM.
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2021, 01:51 AM   #27
BloodFX
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohawk View Post
Simlest answer is to buy a wrecked 300 in USA & swap the left engine case & generator to get the FI pickup, then fit all the 300 loom, ecu, injection & an external fuel pump.

I've bought all the parts & was in the process of big boring the 300 when covid hit. But the plan is a complete engine, loom, ecu swap. Stalled at the moment with everything in lockdown & the fact I dislocated my shoulder ☹️
Wouldn't that make the injectors inject to much fuel thinking its a 300?

Old January 25th, 2021, 02:10 AM   #28
DannoXYZ

yeah, if you use 300 system, you'll have to buy software to reprogram ECU for 250 specs. I like Woolich. Not really worth it for one-time tune. More worthwhile for race-bike that's constantly getting upgrades.

Old January 25th, 2021, 02:35 AM   #29
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Wouldn't that make the injectors inject to much fuel thinking its a 300?
You could buy a Euro 250 ECU or more simply just get the PC Fuel Commander for the Ninja 300. Simple to fit & get a dyno tune. I just added one to my Versys-X 300, even though PC say it won't work, it does. It appears Kawasaki don't specify polarity on the injector connectors, so you may have to swap the pins around on the FC connectors, I had too. Works great.

Last futzed with by Mohawk; January 31st, 2021 at 12:58 AM.

Old January 30th, 2021, 05:23 AM   #30
BloodFX
ninjette.org member

Is the flywheel bolt the same as the older version?

Old January 30th, 2021, 11:00 AM   #31
DannoXYZ

yup

Old March 7th, 2021, 06:03 AM   #32
BloodFX
ninjette.org member

Gonna start buying parts and maybe have it done for summer 2022, will post here when I start it, could I use a power commander auto tune with it?

Old March 7th, 2021, 09:00 AM   #33
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

The PCFC does not support Autotune, that is only available as an option with the PCV, which is mucho dollars.

Old March 9th, 2021, 01:00 PM   #34
Ceeloo Yello
ninjette.org guru

Looking forward to your progress.

Old March 9th, 2021, 11:37 PM   #35
MagnaMan
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja 250, 95 Magna, 99 Magna

Check this out

Someone has posted a video on the ecotrons kit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYsP2JYXbGs

But also be sure to read the video maker's own comments regarding his results.
MagnaMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2021, 08:13 AM   #36
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Hi I was wondering is the ecotrons kit the only way to FI an old 250ee or can parts be swapped from the FI model onto the old models?
I was told that it no longer being sold
shspvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2021, 01:51 PM   #37
DannoXYZ

Ecotrons kit was crap anyway. Extremely difficult to tune and it loses its settings randomly. Much better to get Microsquirt. You also can view maps as 3D rather than flat Excel-like table. Much easier to understand and makes changes to maps.

Old September 25th, 2021, 04:44 PM   #38
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Ecotrons kit was crap anyway. Extremely difficult to tune and it loses its settings randomly. Much better to get Microsquirt. You also can view maps as 3D rather than flat Excel-like table. Much easier to understand and makes changes to maps.
That nice and all but so far I haven't scene any post with a full step by step guide and list of parts that easy to get hold of parts so here is my thought of Retro Fit the Carburetor model

- ECU (Engine Control Unit)
Ok you said Microsquirt just one problem it wiring harness output is in a bad place for motorcycle

- MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor
- Throttle Body
- TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)
- Injectors
- IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor
- ECT (Temperature) sensor
- Ignition coils
Maybe we can get all part from 13-17 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ?

- External Fuel Pump with build in pressure regulator
I did run across External Fuel pump with a build in pressure regulator

- Fuel Hoses
High Pressure 60+ P.S.I Line

- Fuel Line Clamps
Fuel Injection Hose Clamps (Note: Don't used Worm gear clamps)

- Fuel Filter
Clear Body Small Engine Fuel Filter

- Flywheel
Maybe the 13-17 Kawasaki Ninja 300 can be direct swap over as it has Trigger Reluctor or Tone Ring build-on to flywheel it self so we should be able to re-used the existing position sensor.

- Wiring Harness
Retro Fit ho boy this is going to be fun LoL

- Wiring Components
Tools and hope the off shelf connectors are same for motorcycle

Anything else ?.

I just wondering any one look at the NanoEFI ECM ?.

Last futzed with by shspvr; September 26th, 2021 at 09:43 AM.
shspvr is offline   Reply With Quote