ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old April 27th, 2019, 07:06 PM   #1
SNAKEBEATER
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250F

Post Weird stalling issue

I have a 2007 EX250F with just shy of 4,000 miles on it, that was running fine until yesterday. While riding in traffic on my way home the other day, the engine stalled when I pulled the clutch in to downshift and engine brake to slow down. I tried starting it, and it was acting like I was trying to cold start it. I pulled in the choke and let it run a minute, and got it going again. Granted, I had just taken it out on one of the longer ride's I've done on it, but nothing that it shouldn't have been able to handle.

A few miles later, the same thing happened. It seems to be an intermittent issue. I even adjusted the mixture to lean it out because it seemed to be running rather rich, and I figured leaning out the mixture might solve the problem.
after test riding it again earlier today, the same thing happened. I checked out the carburetors, made sure there were no blockages in the jets and that the bowls were clean.
I checked the air filter, and made sure there was no blockages there.

The only modification to the bike so far has been a baffle delete in the muffler. other than that, it seems to be a bone stock bike.

I even tried resetting the idle, which is now inconsistent. It'll be at 1500, and then after blipping the throttle, it'll settle at around 2500.

I'm out of Ideas at this point.
SNAKEBEATER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2019, 07:16 PM   #2
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
a tank venting issue possible? or a weird float system malfunction?
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2019, 08:51 PM   #3
SNAKEBEATER
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
a tank venting issue possible? or a weird float system malfunction?
Maybe, I'll check it out again tomorrow

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated

Old April 27th, 2019, 09:00 PM   #4
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Measure resistance of kickstand/sidestand switch in up and down position.
With kickstand up, measure resistance of switch, then wiggle its wires and connector.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2019, 07:38 AM   #5
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKEBEATER View Post
I even tried resetting the idle, which is now inconsistent. It'll be at 1500, and then after blipping the throttle, it'll settle at around 2500.
I'm not seeing an electrical problem here, unless he's got multiple issues going on

fair enough, check/eliminate the sidestand switch...but additionally ponder this fact....an '07 with 4000 miles has done a LOT of sitting in its 12 year life

Old April 28th, 2019, 09:59 AM   #6
SNAKEBEATER
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
I'm not seeing an electrical problem here, unless he's got multiple issues going on

fair enough, check/eliminate the sidestand switch...but additionally ponder this fact....an '07 with 4000 miles has done a LOT of sitting in its 12 year life
Previous owner said they started it at least twice a week, and I've been riding it pretty regularly since I bought it a little over a year ago as a starter bike to learn on.

But I do see your point. I'm going to go through the carburetor again and clear it out.

I'm also planning on a pod filter conversion to see if I can eliminate some of the gremlins between that and re-jetting the carbs

Old April 28th, 2019, 10:24 AM   #7
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
I'm also planning on a pod filter conversion to see if I can eliminate some of the gremlins between that and re-jetting the carbs
Welcome to what I call "the chase". I predict you'll be screwin' around quite a bit.

IMHO the quickest, most efficient, best all round path to a fine running, fuel efficient 2 fitty is starting with the known factory baseline...genuinely clear, well setup factory jetted carbs using stock airbox....just as it came from the dealership at brand new/running well behaved. Throw in a valve clearance check, plugs, filter service, blah blah.

Though I fully respect your right to take whatever path you desire.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 28th, 2019, 10:28 AM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Agreed. They run really well with the stock air intake system, and you don't have to listen to a lot of intake noise when you ride. That airbox is designed for performance, it's not just a flow restriction as it might seem.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2019, 10:51 AM   #9
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
The factory engineers were (evidently) doing more than smoking opium in the back room. A very effective design resulting in a sharp runner, responsive idle to redline right outta the box. Undeniable.

Old April 28th, 2019, 05:26 PM   #10
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Previous owner said they started it at least twice a week, and I've been riding it pretty regularly since I bought it a little over a year ago as a starter bike to learn on.

But I do see your point. I'm going to go through the carburetor again and clear it out.

The bike ran fine when it left the showroom floor with factory airbox and filter (which is as large as ones on my CBR600RR; there's no restriction here). Why not just restore it back to factory-fresh clean condition?

Research pod-filters, they have numerous problems, such as stumbling in cross-winds. Many people convert back to factory air-box & jetting to get bike to work properly again. Check out these "carb cleaning" threads:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=333176
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=330960
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=322846
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=321223
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=317977
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=317810
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=316395
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=315193
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=280658
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote