ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 28th, 2020, 03:51 PM   #1
blanzer
ninjette.org member

Name: Nicholas

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

I need help with idle issue

Hello all,

This whole week I've been working on restoring my 2007 Ninja 250 that was sitting for about 2 years. I did everything. Changed the oil and filter, changed the spark plugs, cleaned the air filter, and did a valve adjustment. I also have cleaned the carbs twice and did a bench sync. They honestly didn't even look dirty to begin with. All the holes seem clear. But I used carb cleaner spray and compressed air to clean. Put fresh gas in tank with Seafoam. I tried to start with just a carb cleaning and the bike would die with throttle and idle was terrible. The bike now revs without dying which is a very good sign. However, the idle is still all over the place. Without the choke it would go up to 4-5k. And if i turned the idle knob down(I had to turn it a lot to get a result, which i know isn't normal), then the bike goes too low. Or just does whatever it wants. My bike ran fine for years mind you, before I stopped and let it sit. However, I noticed upon opening the carbs up that 1) The vacuum for one of the needles is ever so slightly torn in the corner and missing a piece of rubber. 2) The air/fuel screws had no washers and one o ring that was ripped and i tossed out. I also set those at 2.5 turns out. Might be off because of the missing o ring and washer I'm assuming though. The hoses that go to the petcock seem pretty rough to put on. Not sure if they're degrading and I need to replace. Also, I installed a fuel filter and cut the hose. One other problem I had before I stopped using the bike but noticed no issues was that gas would leak from the petcock where the hose is if I didnt put a tight seal with a hose clamp. I opened up the petcock and everything seemed fine in that so not sure what was causing that. The hoses to my gas tank also are not the best but I'm not sure if that is what is causing the idle issue.

What I would like to know is 1) What performance issues are caused by these different things, and 2) what the solution to this idle problem is. I know i need to replace these parts but I want to know if that is causing the idle issue or if it would cause other issues.
blanzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2020, 05:08 AM   #2
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
PM sent
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2020, 01:15 PM   #3
65Mulberry
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki bandit 1200 Ninja 250

Sometimes if carbs are all known good, erratic idle, especially if changes with hot/cold engine, can be indicative of a valve adjustment issue too ....
sounds like your carbs need thorough makeover first though
65Mulberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2020, 06:16 PM   #4
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
@blanzer posted he adjusted valves in the 1st sentence of his opening post

Old April 2nd, 2020, 07:47 PM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanzer View Post
Hello all,

This whole week I've been working on restoring my 2007 Ninja 250 that was sitting for about 2 years. I did everything. Changed the oil and filter, changed the spark plugs, cleaned the air filter, and did a valve adjustment. I also have cleaned the carbs twice and did a bench sync. They honestly didn't even look dirty to begin with. All the holes seem clear. But I used carb cleaner spray and compressed air to clean. Put fresh gas in tank with Seafoam. I tried to start with just a carb cleaning and the bike would die with throttle and idle was terrible. The bike now revs without dying which is a very good sign. However, the idle is still all over the place. Without the choke it would go up to 4-5k. And if i turned the idle knob down(I had to turn it a lot to get a result, which i know isn't normal), then the bike goes too low. Or just does whatever it wants. My bike ran fine for years mind you, before I stopped and let it sit. However, I noticed upon opening the carbs up that 1) The vacuum for one of the needles is ever so slightly torn in the corner and missing a piece of rubber. 2) The air/fuel screws had no washers and one o ring that was ripped and i tossed out. I also set those at 2.5 turns out. Might be off because of the missing o ring and washer I'm assuming though. The hoses that go to the petcock seem pretty rough to put on. Not sure if they're degrading and I need to replace. Also, I installed a fuel filter and cut the hose. One other problem I had before I stopped using the bike but noticed no issues was that gas would leak from the petcock where the hose is if I didnt put a tight seal with a hose clamp. I opened up the petcock and everything seemed fine in that so not sure what was causing that. The hoses to my gas tank also are not the best but I'm not sure if that is what is causing the idle issue.

What I would like to know is 1) What performance issues are caused by these different things, and 2) what the solution to this idle problem is. I know i need to replace these parts but I want to know if that is causing the idle issue or if it would cause other issues.
1) Missing the o-ring and washer on the idle mixture screws will definitely mess up your idle.

2) Torn or damaged carb diaphragms will mess up everything else.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2020, 06:50 AM   #6
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
agree both these issues need to be resolved to move forward, though OP doesn't seem to be further involved in the thread (?)

Old April 3rd, 2020, 10:45 AM   #7
blanzer
ninjette.org member

Hi all, sorry for the delay. Was going to go with ducatimans work, but decided to save some money and time by just buying a used diaphragm and new air/fuel screws.i have a strong feeling the carbs and clean and parts are good besides that. i swapped them out and seems much better. However if I ripped the throttle wide open it died. This was last night. Bike was warmed up completely but a bit cold out. Tried again today (much hotter) and it didn’t die but struggled a bit. I turned my idle up between 1.5-2k rpms and seems fine now. Both my screws were adjusted at 2.5 turns out. But I read that apparently they’re supposed to be different. For stock anyways. I’ll be going for a test ride to see how it goes. Also I managed to get the air box boots on! Those things were a PITA lmao. They’ve always been slightly sitting on the carbs but I removed the boot (didn’t know you could do that) and soaked it in warm water to loosen it up. Also figured out how to put the carbs and air box in together through the bike. 2 weeks and and some good progress. I’ll be back with an update.

Old April 3rd, 2020, 11:28 AM   #8
blanzer
ninjette.org member

And she lives boys! Project success. Ran up and down the street and through some gears with no problems. Just needs some other little adjustments and she’ll be good to go.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 4th, 2020, 08:29 AM   #9
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17

Old April 6th, 2020, 06:20 AM   #10
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Good to hear you have it sorted.

Make sure you have fresh gas before doing your final tuning if it has been sitting any amount of time.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote