ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 6th, 2016, 10:06 AM   #1
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Name: Ruben

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 and 1991 Yamaha Virago XV750

Thread for preparing an old 250 for a 3500 mile cross country trip next year.

As most of you guys are aware, I'm an old fart and I just love to travel. I spent a couple of years traveling around the U.S. in both an old rental truck conversion and also in a little Toyota Tacoma Pickup with a fiberglass shell on the back.

I have walked 800 miles of the Appalachian Trail with a backpack, so I know how to travel and pack with very little. I love light weight camping gear. I plan to carry VERY light weight backpacking camping gear on the bike and I have no desire to carry more than 40 pounds of gear, in fact that is too much..

I would like this thread to be about discussing cross country traveling 3500 miles or more across the U.S. and lightweight camping along the way.

I also would like to talk about preparing an old (10 years old) Pregen Ninja 250 for such a trip. Maintenance, gear, tools, clothing, weight.

I hope to keep the thread alive until my trip next year. Let me know what you guys think.

Last futzed with by Wanderer; October 6th, 2016 at 12:49 PM.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2016, 10:12 AM   #2
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

I am not worried about the speed of the 250. When I travel in my little Tacoma truck, I always travel back roads and I rarely drive over 65mph any time. I am in no hurry when I travel. I like to travel old state and U.S. highways built in the 1930s and 1940s.

As I said, I plan on carrying VERY light weight backpacker camping gear, less than 40 pounds total. I will carry a small daypack on my shoulders, a small tank pack and very little on a rack behind the seat. Nothing very heavy at the rear.

I sleep in a tiny bivy bag when camping, no tent. I carry very few clothes, tiny light weight sleeping bag and no cooking gear.

To me, less is more. I hate to ride an over stuffed, heavy little bike or even a backpack.

Old October 6th, 2016, 10:17 AM   #3
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

I don't plan on riding a lot of miles a day. I always like to stop often, look at the sights, visit little towns along the way and stop early.

I plan to take about a week going east and then another week coming back west. I will be starting Arizona and ending back east near the coast.

No hurry, no interstates, no heavy gear, no cooking gear, no heavy clothes(all light weight backpacking apparel.

I want my little bike to be mechanically as fit as possible and require very little maintenance along the way.

I like to travel alone. No group riding for me. Too restrictive and claustrophobic for me.

I stop when I want, where I want and see what I want. I love my privacy. I'm a loner I'm afraid.

I expect the trip to be about 3500+ miles round trip.

Last futzed with by Wanderer; October 6th, 2016 at 12:49 PM.

Old October 6th, 2016, 10:22 AM   #4
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

I plan to camp almost every night unless the weather forces me to get a motel. I like to "stealth camp" when possible if it feels safe. I don't need much to camp with. Just a energy bar to eat for supper, a small plastic sheet for the ground and my tiny bivy bag to get into.

I then go into the closest little town for breakfast in the morning at an old town diner.

Simple, lightweight, plain, easy, quiet.

For me, less is better. Always.

Old October 6th, 2016, 10:30 AM   #5
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

I'm a short guy, so I don't want a lot of gear around the seat since I would have a hard time swinging my short legs over the seat. I also don't have any desire for the little bike to be heavy or cumbersome to get on or off or if I drop it to pick up(heaven forbid). The more you hang on the bike, the more side winds will affect you, especially in the midwest.

I see all of these videos of expedition riders with big BMW 1200s with gear stuffed everywhere and I just cringe. They can't pick the bikes up when it goes down without first removing all of their gear and baggage. No thanks.

The key word for me is always "less is more". That is always my cardinal law when I take a longer backpacking trip or a truck camping trip.

Old October 6th, 2016, 10:35 AM   #6
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Many may think that 65+ is too old for such a long trip on such a little motorcycle.

The key is to do it lightweight, slower, alone with a well maintained bike.

Stop when you get tired, eat when you're hungry, drive into little towns and meet the locals, see the sights.

In other words, be happy. Not stressed and in a hurry. No schedules or deadlines. No GPS, no IPad, no extra technology except a little cell phone.

Old October 6th, 2016, 10:49 AM   #7
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

My experience tells me that the key to travel camping with a little bike is the GEAR you carry and how you pack it.

For a longer backing or bike camping trip, you need high quality, rather expensive, lightweight gear. You need to figure out what you can camp with safely, comfortably and still travel with a bike that isn't too heavy, uncomfortable and hard to ride.

Tips - Carry very little food but energy bars and peanuts. Eat in little towns along the way, eat less at night and then eat in town for breakfast in the morning. No cooking gear, fuel for a stove, food and little water.

I sleep on the ground with a light weight tarp over me if it rains. To keep the snakes, scorpions and bugs out of my sleeping bag, I use my bivy bag that zips up tight to keep "creepy crawlers" out at night.

For clothing I carry 2 extra tee shirts, 2 pair of underwear, 1 extra pair of socks and a lightweight pair of nylon shorts. That's it except for what I wear riding the bike. I carry these in my little daypack on my back when I ride.

I carry a nylon pancho to cover the bike at night with powerful little magnets to hold it down. I then can wear the pancho myself if need be.

Old October 6th, 2016, 11:18 AM   #8
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Now concerning the bike, will I need to do any maintenance besides maybe tightening the chain along the way?

What tools would you bring?

Can the little 250 handle a 12V air pump for flats? Which one would you suggest? I plan on using tire plugs for punctures and then an air pump? What do you think?

Do you suggest a roadside service for motorcycles?

Any parts to carry? Remember, space and weight are critical issues.

Old October 6th, 2016, 11:46 AM   #9
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

If this trip works out, maybe Mexico next, but a Mexico trip is a whole nother level of preparation.

Old October 6th, 2016, 03:06 PM   #10
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Enjoy your trip!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2016, 09:56 PM   #11
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Now concerning the bike, will I need to do any maintenance besides maybe tightening the chain along the way?

What tools would you bring?

Can the little 250 handle a 12V air pump for flats? Which one would you suggest? I plan on using tire plugs for punctures and then an air pump? What do you think?

Do you suggest a roadside service for motorcycles?

Any parts to carry? Remember, space and weight are critical issues.
Well before I started the trip I would change all fluids, adjust valves, replace brake pads, put on a new chain and sprockets, spark plugs, throttle, choke, and clutch cables, make sure the carbs are completely renewed, tires if getting close to age or wear, that should get you 3,500 miles pretty easily.

Along the way you might need to tighten the chain, will definitely need to lube it, so either a can of spray lube or an auto oiler. Probably should carry some spare engine oil. All of my pregen ninjettes seem to use a little oil at constant highway speeds.

I pack a little heavier than you do, but in the tail bag and tank bag I can pack a full change of clothes, sleeping bag, one person tent, sleeping pad, tools, spare face shied for helmet, spare gloves, rain gear and a few more things that cover me for camping.

VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2016, 12:51 AM   #12
rgx107
ninjette.org member

Name: Rolf

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

I recommend the tire repair kits with air cartridges, that way you don't need to carry a pump. If you you don't like the cartridges then bring a small bicycle pump. Either way try it out before you go, especially the cartridges can be tricky to use.

I did a longer trip last year and brought tools to tighten the chain and to undo the fairing panels. A very small set of keys and bits will cover most bolts on the bike. Other than that, bring a spare headlight bulb, they don't last long.
rgx107 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2016, 11:03 AM   #13
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
You are not hiking the A trail, no need to be concerned about weight. If your ninja can win races hualing this guy around a racetrack, it can get you and anything you may need to the east coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
Or this :

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 7th, 2016, 12:03 PM   #14
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
You are not hiking the A trail, no need to be concerned about weight. If your ninja can win races hualing this guy around a racetrack, it can get you and anything you may need to the east coast.
Exactly! And that's on ethanol gas!!!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2016, 12:05 PM   #15
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Spare parts wise, I always care with me spare CDI, CoPs, rectifier,plugs, and it all fits under the seat.

Some things you might want to change out for better reliability is the rectifier to a mosfet one, CoPs conversation.

Write-ups

Kawasaki ZX Ignition Coil Pack modification.

Who wants to see a MOSFET R/R upgrade?

More ideas are located in my blog

Other things maybe upgrade the headlight bulb, I've been running an LED now for several weeks now, and I'm happy with it.

YITAMOTOR H4 HB2 9003 COB LED Headlight Bulbs 4 Side COB Dual Beam High Low Led Headlamp Kit 120w 12000Lm 6K White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GDTE6HE..._xg.9xb4J35RDE

Don't forget spare fuses.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2016, 12:36 PM   #16
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Something else is is comfort, think about upgrading the seat.

Also here's an interesting article

http://www.motogeo.com/coast-to-coas...00-motorcycle/

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2016, 01:58 PM   #17
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Something else is is comfort, think about upgrading the seat.

Also here's an interesting article

http://www.motogeo.com/coast-to-coas...00-motorcycle/
That is my kind of mindset even though I paid quite a bit more for my Pregen 250($1500 bucks), but I like people that think like this guy.

Thanks!

Old October 7th, 2016, 02:05 PM   #18
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
Ha,ha. I just love little Ninjas! Tough.

It's not the weight that I am worried about, it's the room behind my seat and the wind resistance. As I said, I need the seat room to get my old, short leg over the seat easily. Especially after a long ride. Maybe small panniers would be a good choice.

I hope to put all my luggage on a rack behind the seat, in a tank bag and in my daypack on my shoulders.

Old October 7th, 2016, 02:07 PM   #19
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgx107 View Post
I recommend the tire repair kits with air cartridges, that way you don't need to carry a pump. If you you don't like the cartridges then bring a small bicycle pump. Either way try it out before you go, especially the cartridges can be tricky to use.

I did a longer trip last year and brought tools to tighten the chain and to undo the fairing panels. A very small set of keys and bits will cover most bolts on the bike. Other than that, bring a spare headlight bulb, they don't last long.
Yeah, I would prefer to take a small bike pump if I have the room. Simple, cheap and easy.

Old October 7th, 2016, 02:10 PM   #20
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
Ha,ha. I just love little Ninjas! Tough.

It's not the weight that I am worried about, it's the room behind my seat and the wind resistance. As I said, I need the seat room to get my old, short leg over the seat easily. Especially after a long ride. Maybe small panniers would be a good choice.

I hope to put all my luggage on a rack behind the seat, in a tank bag and in my daypack on my shoulders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Fully loaded up for 7 days and 2500 miles on the road with one 24hr mtb race in the middle. I've got about 50,000 miles with that mtb rack and over 80,000 total on the ninja.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2016, 02:23 PM   #21
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Personally, I wouldn't want to go through west Texas in high cross winds with that setup, but that's just me.

I have been reading about those iron butt guys riding Ninja 250s thousands of miles. There are a LOT of them. That is the main reason that I have started to consider making long trips on my little bike.

I never even considered it possible before reading about people going cross country on their Ninjettes.

I just love the idea!

Old October 7th, 2016, 02:37 PM   #22
Wanderer
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
When I did it I had nothing more than a backpack and a 2-gallon tank bag.
I like this post from another thread.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 7th, 2016, 05:28 PM   #23
1uglybastard
ninjette.org member

Name: Julius Caesar

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, Ducati M1100 EVO, CBR1000RR

I'd bring a compact hex tool, a leatherman, one Phillips and one flathead screwdriver, ratchet and sockets (especially to loosen the rear axle), and wrenches for the chain adjusters. Make sure you got enough life on the brakes, change coolant, oil, and brake fluid. Bring a can of chain lube; you'll have to lube your chain every day after you're done riding. Flashlight, a water bladder for your backpack too. If you wanna bring spare parts, a spare stator may be good. I've never had a regulator rectifier go out on me so I personally never worry about that. Oh, tire plugs and a pump. I have a cheap tail bag that has done the job for carrying stuff. I much rather keep as little in my backpack as possible. It becomes uncomfortable after several hours of riding if it's too heavy.

Your plan sounds like a dream road trip. I've done several 1500 mile trips and once did 3500 miles on a CBR 1000RR, San Francisco to New Orleans over 3 weeks. I stopped when I wanted, ate when I wanted, slept wherever I wanted. I even slept on a bench at a truck stop. I got to know the locals at bars, made new friends, slept on people's couches, and even hooked up with a few babes along the way. Man, those were the days! I definitely need to do another road trip.

I once heard a guy say, "If you haven't eaten something that you shouldn't be eating while sitting on the curb at some gas station parking lot, then your trip isn't done." I make it a point to do that on my road trips!
1uglybastard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2016, 08:31 AM   #24
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

I've done many long trips on my little Ninja, including a 2,000 mile trip a few summers ago that took me from Dallas to Memphis to Chattanooga, then to Birmingham, New Orleans, Houston, and back home. By that time I'd already been on several trips with 700 mile legs. Here are the main things I've found and done, about myself and my bike:

Myself: Much of what it takes to do long rides is mental and physical, bike prep is actually pretty minor in the scheme of things. Working out comfortable riding positions, and strategies for physical and mental relaxation while still maintaining focus, were a big part of things. It's important to stay hydrated and to maintain a comfortable temperature. I packed a very tall tank bag with water bottles and a folded towel to act as padding, then rested my torso and helmet chin on it, this eliminated fatigue in my abdominal and back muscles. Layers of gear that can be added or removed, gear with vents that can be closed, are good when temperatures will vary a lot during a ride. I rode with a mesh jacket that had a removable thermal liner inside, and a removable textile liner outside. I carried a nice rain jacket that also acted as a wind-breaker. The whole approach was to be as comfortable as possible because that enabled physical relaxation, which in turn prevented fatigue and the need to "power through" bad sensations.

After a few trips I quickly found a good combination of bike modifications. First and foremost I altered the gearing to get the RPMs down below 10K at 70+ mph. I've ended up with a 15 front and a 42 rear sprocket, that has my RPMs below 8K at 70. As you near 10K RPM engine oil consumption really goes up, to the point where I was having to add oil every 1,500 miles or so. Lowering my RPMs at cruising speeds also increased my gas mileage.

The next most important thing I did was to install foam rubber grips. This completely eliminated hand numbness from vibration. The downside was a bit more throttle creep, meaning I have to reposition my hand on the grip to maintain throttle every few minutes, but that movement helps prevent cramping. CycleGear has these grips pretty cheap, and they last a year.

The third thing I did was to get a Corbin saddle. That's not mandatory for long-distance riding, but I lucked into a deal on one a few years back. For riding a few hundred miles a day I don't use it, but if I'm doing a 700 miler I do.

Outside of that, I would recommend adjusting your valves before you start, and if your chain isn't fresh I'd recommend putting a new one on. Check your sprockets to make sure the teeth aren't cupped as that'll trash your chain fast. Get a small can of chain lube and a rag and lube your chain every other tank of gas. Make sure your tires are good, having to replace a worn-out tire mid-trip will be expensive and time-consuming. I like the Kenda K671 Touring tires, they give me a solid 25K miles front, 22K rear, and they're inexpensive. Do all the basic maintenance on the bike before you leave, such as lubing cables, synching and adjusting the carbs, cleaning and oiling the filter, etc. This eliminates concerns and thoughts about those things while riding, which helps with mental fatigue.

And finally, before leaving, give your bike a good washing and detailing. That way when you're done you can admire your trip's worth of bugs and road grime stuck to the front of your bike.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2016, 10:30 AM   #25
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
I carry a full tool roll, a slime pump. Tent, bag, too many clothes, food, water, shoes and a chair. I hate not having a place to sit.

This was most of that on my ninja (similar setup for wifes ninja as well)

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2016, 10:57 AM   #26
1uglybastard
ninjette.org member

Name: Julius Caesar

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, Ducati M1100 EVO, CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
I've done many long trips on my little Ninja, including a 2,000 mile trip a few summers ago that took me from Dallas to Memphis to Chattanooga, then to Birmingham, New Orleans, Houston, and back home. By that time I'd already been on several trips with 700 mile legs. Here are the main things I've found and done, about myself and my bike:

Myself: Much of what it takes to do long rides is mental and physical, bike prep is actually pretty minor in the scheme of things. Working out comfortable riding positions, and strategies for physical and mental relaxation while still maintaining focus, were a big part of things. It's important to stay hydrated and to maintain a comfortable temperature. I packed a very tall tank bag with water bottles and a folded towel to act as padding, then rested my torso and helmet chin on it, this eliminated fatigue in my abdominal and back muscles. Layers of gear that can be added or removed, gear with vents that can be closed, are good when temperatures will vary a lot during a ride. I rode with a mesh jacket that had a removable thermal liner inside, and a removable textile liner outside. I carried a nice rain jacket that also acted as a wind-breaker. The whole approach was to be as comfortable as possible because that enabled physical relaxation, which in turn prevented fatigue and the need to "power through" bad sensations.

After a few trips I quickly found a good combination of bike modifications. First and foremost I altered the gearing to get the RPMs down below 10K at 70+ mph. I've ended up with a 15 front and a 42 rear sprocket, that has my RPMs below 8K at 70. As you near 10K RPM engine oil consumption really goes up, to the point where I was having to add oil every 1,500 miles or so. Lowering my RPMs at cruising speeds also increased my gas mileage.

The next most important thing I did was to install foam rubber grips. This completely eliminated hand numbness from vibration. The downside was a bit more throttle creep, meaning I have to reposition my hand on the grip to maintain throttle every few minutes, but that movement helps prevent cramping. CycleGear has these grips pretty cheap, and they last a year.

The third thing I did was to get a Corbin saddle. That's not mandatory for long-distance riding, but I lucked into a deal on one a few years back. For riding a few hundred miles a day I don't use it, but if I'm doing a 700 miler I do.

Outside of that, I would recommend adjusting your valves before you start, and if your chain isn't fresh I'd recommend putting a new one on. Check your sprockets to make sure the teeth aren't cupped as that'll trash your chain fast. Get a small can of chain lube and a rag and lube your chain every other tank of gas. Make sure your tires are good, having to replace a worn-out tire mid-trip will be expensive and time-consuming. I like the Kenda K671 Touring tires, they give me a solid 25K miles front, 22K rear, and they're inexpensive. Do all the basic maintenance on the bike before you leave, such as lubing cables, synching and adjusting the carbs, cleaning and oiling the filter, etc. This eliminates concerns and thoughts about those things while riding, which helps with mental fatigue.

And finally, before leaving, give your bike a good washing and detailing. That way when you're done you can admire your trip's worth of bugs and road grime stuck to the front of your bike.
not sure of how the 250 is set up to measure speed. did you account for the difference in speedometer reading due to the sprocket change? This sounds like a good idea. I may change my sprocket ratio for future road trips, but i also don't want my 300's gauges off by too much.
1uglybastard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2016, 11:08 AM   #27
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
The newgen speedometer cable goes to the front tire, changing the sprockets doesn't change the reading. I usually choose to readjust my Koso gauge whenever I buy a slightly bigger/smaller front tire. Luckily, the Koso allows for minor circumference adjustments without too much difficulty.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2016, 04:59 AM   #28
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Pregens read the speed off the front wheel as well.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2016, 11:02 AM   #29
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Sounds like quite the trip... Do it!!!

Old October 13th, 2016, 06:37 PM   #30
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1uglybastard View Post
not sure of how the 250 is set up to measure speed. did you account for the difference in speedometer reading due to the sprocket change? This sounds like a good idea. I may change my sprocket ratio for future road trips, but i also don't want my 300's gauges off by too much.
As has been stated, all the 250 Ninjas drive the speedo off the front tire. This is really common in motorcycles, likely due to the fact that changing sprocket ratios is a very common thing to do. That being said, the stock pregen front size is an 80 series tire and most people, myself included, run 90 series tires because they're far easier to get. That makes the tire slightly taller and thus reduces the revolutions per mile. The stock speedo reads high on my bike, and with the new tire it still reads about 3mph high.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote