Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 1st, 2015, 10:24 AM   #1
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Radial Master Cylinder

Lots of people say a front brake radial master cylinder is better than a plain old regular (axial) master cylinder.

The important characteristics of a brake MC set-up would seem to be piston diameter and mechanical advantage provided by the lever arm (brake handle).

What's better about the radial MC?
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old June 1st, 2015, 11:55 AM   #2
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
Lots of people say a front brake radial master cylinder is better than a plain old regular (axial) master cylinder.

The important characteristics of a brake MC set-up would seem to be piston diameter and mechanical advantage provided by the lever arm (brake handle).

What's better about the radial MC?
Other than the fact that they are generally found in a "sportier" or "pricier" option and therefore can be made to a greater cost point (cheaply build radial masters suck too) - its the fact that the piston movement is directly inline with the movement of your pull against the lever. This provides some with a better "feel" as you work the lever. Also the construction of the actual cylinder and piston body are typically stiffer and again allows for a greater degree of feel.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 1st, 2015, 04:51 PM   #3
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Great explanation Neil. I never knew there were different types of master cylinders.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2015, 04:57 PM   #4
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
That is a good explanation. So we're talking better feel for a radial MC.

Does anyone use (or care about) radially oriented MCs for the pedal-operated rear brake?
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2015, 05:24 PM   #5
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

@sharky nrk
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2015, 06:24 PM   #6
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
i have a radial MC up front with my brake conversion, i don't know if i could tell the difference. I got it because it worked with the conversion

A different MC for the rear? Might be just me but i feel like doing pretty much anything to the rear brake system is a waste of money. Most people barely use it. You can get some feel from the rear but the boots and lack of sensitivity of the foot compared to the fingers you are not helping the cause. Plus i don't feel like you get the same feed back from the rear that you do from the front, there is so little weight on the rear in most hard braking scenarios that deciphering what is going on with the rear by feel can be tricky.

I use the rear brake a lot, i blame my time in the dirt on that and i feel like i have about as good of a feel of it that i can get and it is still ambiguous at times. I do have my rear brake set up a little soft which i think helps a little with the feel, it's not so wooden like

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote