ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old July 27th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[kropotkin thinks...] - Randy de Puniet Interview: "Top 5 Is Possible"

If you enjoyed reading this article, please click here to view it on Kropotkin's site, MotoGP Matters.

-----------------

One of the most remarkable transformations this year has been Randy de Puniet's change from crash test dummy to fast, consistent finisher. MotoGPMatters was fascinated by this change, so we caught up with de Puniet in LCR Honda's rather splendid hospitality unit.

MotoGPMatters: Last year, you got 61 points, and after just 9 races you're already up to 58 points this season (this was before RDP's podium at Donington). How do you explain that?

Randy de Puniet: Last year I had many crashes during the race and the practice, and I decided to change many things at the end of the season, and we also changed the tire. I think for me this was a good step. I feel more confident with the Bridgestone front tire. That's why I have better results and less crashes this year. Also, I know the bike and the team better, because it's my second year in this team. I think I've had a good season so far at this moment.

MGPM: Does your style suit the Bridgestone front more than the Michelin front? Is this from a 250 riding style?

RdP: The problem was not that Michelin was worse than Bridgestone, the problem was that with Michelin it was impossible to find the limit. Many times when I was in the gravel, I say "why did I crash?" Many times, many times. With the Bridgestone you have a better contact feeling and you know where you are. That's why I think this is better for me.

MGPM: So you know when you're almost at the limit?

RdP: Yes.

MGPM: Do you think this is a little like Casey Stoner in his first year on the LCR with the Michelins, when he had lots of front end crashes. As soon as he gets on the Bridgestones, he stops crashing.

RdP: Maybe, maybe.

MGPM: You also changed your trainer at the end of the season as well. Why, and how did that affect you?

read more