Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 31st, 2011, 07:19 AM   #1
rickyny
ninjette.org member

Name: Ricky

Motorcycle(s): 2009 GF500F

Bike sitting for over a year

Hey everyone, on a different question.
There's a 2007 Ninjette a hour and a half away from where I live. The bike has 3,000 mi, and I talked the owner down and he'll sell it to me for $1,800.
The thing is the bike has been garaged since winter 09, because he moved to the west coast early on 2010 so he didn't rode the bike the summer of 2010. He said he came to town around august and fired up the bike, but that's it. So it has been sitting since October 2009. He says his friend fired up the bike again 2 days ago and it sounds good, but am I going to spend a lot servicing this bike?
Is it worth it?
Thank you again.

Ricky.
rickyny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2011, 07:49 AM   #2
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

If the bike runs smoothly and rides OK, other than just maybe putting some Seafoam or Berryman's in with the gas and riding it to clean the carbs, maybe changing the oil, there may not be any problem with this bike. The battery may need to be charged and load tested to see if it's any good if the charge is low. The tires are at least 4 years old and may need changing in another year or so. Check the front brake for wear, it may need new pads. Probably just the usual maintenance/replacement things on a 4 year old lightly used bike. You have to see it and ride it, and check out the sticky Alex posted under the bike sales area to see what's involved in buying a used bike. Good luck.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2011, 07:54 AM   #3
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

A new fuel tank goes for $500, and various insundries like battery, tires, all new fluids and you're looking at a problem someone wants to make money on (off of you). It is said you can re-condition fuel tanks but it's best to have a shop tech. do it right, MT75's are only $150 a pair (OTD), yuasa battery $50, and you should change all filters and fluids anyway. So you're looking at a minimum of $300. 2007 ninjettes went for $3200 OTD and are now 4 years old and an "older model." Don't know the miles on the bike, but figure there won't be many as the guy treated the bike this way. If you want it start at half price $1600 minus the estimates you bring to him for repairs. Throw in $50 for transport and another $50 for good measure and you've got a fair deal.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2011, 08:14 AM   #4
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyny View Post
So it has been sitting since October 2009.
I would avoid this bike like the plague.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2011, 11:31 AM   #5
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

The bike's been stored in a garage all this time? Bonus!

First things first, you'll need new tires. Kenda K671s come to mind, a hair over $100 shipped for a set of new rubber. The gas in the tank is bad, don't bother trying to do anything with it. Disconnect the fuel line, set the petcock to reserve, and apply vacuum to the nipple on the petcock, this will drain the tank. Drain the carbs, too. As far as maintenance goes, I'd change the oil and filter, then clean/oil the air filter. Lube and adjust the throttle and clutch cables, lube the choke cable, and the chain. I'd also regrease the cam chain tensioner.

Pull the valve cover and check the valves, or take it to a mechanic to adjust the valves.

Install an aftermarket fuel filter.

Done.

The main things I'd be concerned about that would make the difference on buying the bike or not (or at least not for near that amount) is rust in the tank or cracked/broken fairings. Prices on the pregens are finally dropping to more reasonable levels so for $1,800 I'd be expecting to get undamaged merchandise.

Remember, these bikes are fairly maintenance-intensive. Unlike a modern car that easily goes 100k miles with nothing but oil changes these bikes require fairly frequent mechanical service such as adjusting valves every 6k miles. Unless you're fairly spendy it would be best to learn how to do at least the routine services on it yourself.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2011, 12:34 PM   #6
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Totally agree with Frugal. I would do all the fluids, oil,water/antifreeze mix,brake fluid. You should change the oil filter and clean the air filter. New Tyres for sure. If there is rust in the fuel tank--take it off, drain it, let the inside dry, and then throw a handful or two nuts and bolts into the tank, close it and shake the hell out of it. Rinse with a bit of gasoline or kerosene, refil with fresh gas and Sea Foam. I had to bring my Corvette back into service after it was garaged for four years. The Ninja should be fine.

Old January 31st, 2011, 03:05 PM   #7
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Questions:
As these tires are only 4 years old and have been out of the sun for the past 2 years, unless they are badly cracked (dry rot) in the sidewalls, why would yo change them now?
Why would you remove the fuel tank before draining the old gas out and seeing what it looks like and what's in the tank?
I would at least first see if it starts and runs - the P.O. said it started up and was running a few days ago, so it's worth a look to see how it runs and what kind of shape it's in. You can always change the gas , oil, etc, later. If it doesn't run, that's another story.
You also need to question him about what kind of, if any, service the bike has had so far. This bike may be totally fine and is at least worth a look at.

Old January 31st, 2011, 03:12 PM   #8
johnjohn
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Honda, Buell, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha

I bought a ZZR250 that was garage stored properly for 5 years. Tires were fine. Oils and fluids changed, tank drained and refilled and OEM charged battery put back in. Fired up and didn't have an issue with it at all. This bike had 2300 klms on the clock. If the bike has been sitting for a year I wouldn't be too concerned, just prep it properly. If the price is right then jump on it.
johnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2011, 03:29 PM   #9
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Ricky - I posted this same thing elsewhere on this forum, but I'm going to repeat it here, just for you in case you didn't see it.

Again, from another forum. To try if the bike runs rough and you think the carbs are dirty. If it runs fine, no need to do this, just put some carb cleaner in the gas anyway (in the usual dose of 1 oz/gal of fuel).
Here it is:

This guy right here had a question about a bike that had sat up for a long time, I have been meaning to post this procedure for a long time, just hadn't got around to it, so here it is....

First off, this is not a guaranteed cure for anything, and should only be done if you already have a problem, this most definitely shouldn't be done as a regular maintainence procedure, but it worked like a charm for me. I am going to describe how to do this to a GZ, even though that is not the bike i used it on, so bear with me.

Go buy you a can of Seafoam, it may or may not work with a different cleaner, but Seafoam specifically states you can use it in this way, so i would use it, and also go buy two extra spark plugs for your bike, you may not use them both, but it never hurts to have an extra one laying around especially when dealing with a single cylinder bike.

In this case since we are dealing with a bike with a gravity fed fuel system (my VS800 has a fuel pump, so the procedure is a little different), your going to have to drain your gas tank (if your carb is gunked up you would want to do that anyways), once you have your tank completely drained, take and pour the entire bottle of Seafoam in, and then turn your fuel petcock to prime, then crank your motorcycle up and let it run until it dies (and it eventually will), then crank it back up a few more times just to make sure everything is soaked in Seafoam, at this point take your spark plug out as it will be fouled, let it sit for an hour or so, come back out, drain your gas tank, drain your carb bowl, put in some new gas and a new spark plug, crank it up, be ready to ride it right then cause it is probably gonna run like hell for a few minutes, mine smoked like hell for about half a mile, then it felt like a brand new bike the way it ran.

In the case of my bike, I was able to introduce Seafoam into my fuel system straight from the can because I have a fuel Pump, I took a long piece of fuel hose, shoved it in the can of Seafoam and ran my bike until it quit and cranked it back up and did it again a few times, until it just completely fouled the plugs. then i went in the house for a few hours came back out hooked my gas tank back up, drained the carb bowls, put in new plugs and rode the crap out of it, it blew out all kinds of funk out of the tailpipes, but it was a different bike after about a mile or so.

Like I said, this is only for extremely dirty carbs, and you don't want to leave it soaking for more than a couple of hours or so, and it may or may not work, but it will only cost you about 10-12 bucks and a couple of hours to try it, and it is guaranteed to at least make your fuel system cleaner than it was, and you will have a new spark plug, even if it doesn't solve your problem.

Also pay close attention to what comes out of your gas tank, if it looks extremely dirty inside of it, you may want to take gas and shake it around inside your gas tank and dump it out a few times before you do it, so you don't just reintroduce more dirt into your carb.

So there is my backyard fuel system cleaning method, this would be especially good for someone who doesn't have the know how or the tools to take apart a carb and clean it, and a good cheap last ditch effort before paying a shop to look at it.

Old January 31st, 2011, 09:07 PM   #10
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

See the post by Pathfinder 12/28/10 - http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62794 - he bought a Suzuki SV650 that sat around for a year, did a little routine cleanup and maintenance, and the bike is absolutely fine. Just sitting for an extended period of time doesn't necessarily mean the bike is to be written off or that it needs a lot of work and expense. Go take a look at it and hear it run and go from there.

Old January 31st, 2011, 09:17 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
he bought a Suzuki SV650 that sat around for a year, did a little routine cleanup and maintenance, and the bike is absolutely fine.
This is true, but that SV650 has a fuel-injected engine and more modern engineering throughout the powertrain that makes it that much less vulnerable to long stints between use. Our 250's with tiny carbs with especially tiny passages throughout do not tolerate sitting around nearly as well. I have no qualms about letting my injected bikes sit for weeks or even months at a time, but I'm appropriately wary of letting a ninjette ever sit more than 3 or 4 weeks.

In a garage, the whole bike isn't going to fall apart on its own of course, but more likely than not there will be fuel and carb issues to deal with. What exacerbates the problem is that while the carb engineering hasn't change much over the years, the actual gasoline we are using in the bike has gotten much less stable, primarily due to the ethanol and other oxygenates that just weren't as much of a worry even 10 years ago.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2011, 07:30 AM   #12
rickyny
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys for your opinion.
I'll go look at it over the weekend to hear it fire up. I saw pics of the bike and I know the fairing is in perfect condition. If it fires up good I'll probably buy it, because I think it'll be fun doing all the fluid flushes and oil the cables... etc.
Mrlmd thanks for telling me about Sea Foam, I will use it and thanks for your excellent tips.
Frugal, Sailariel, Coondog, bob, johnjohn and Alex thanks for your posts and your tips, much appreciated.

Old February 1st, 2011, 09:01 AM   #13
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Quote:
Questions:
As these tires are only 4 years old and have been out of the sun for the past 2 years, unless they are badly cracked (dry rot) in the sidewalls, why would yo change them now?
Why would you remove the fuel tank before draining the old gas out and seeing what it looks like and what's in the tank?
I would at least first see if it starts and runs - the P.O. said it started up and was running a few days ago, so it's worth a look to see how it runs and what kind of shape it's in. You can always change the gas , oil, etc, later. If it doesn't run, that's another story.
You also need to question him about what kind of, if any, service the bike has had so far. This bike may be totally fine and is at least worth a look at.
I have two great helmets but they're 5+ yrs. old so i don't wear them. My front tires have lasted at most 2 years being used, unused they'd have cupped on there own at 4 yrs. Just starting this bike fouled the carbs. to the point where they now need a complete cleaning. I guy who has a bike 4-5 yrs. won't have receipts. I'd bet my house the engine window is caked up and black is the only color you'll see. The main thing is there are 06 and 07 ninjettes out there that are pretty pristine, all you need is patience, even if it means waiting til' next season, which I think this dudes from N. Y. so it will happen. All all winter there will be give-away prices on more bikes, hopefully with full gas tanks and stabil in them. Not trying to antagonize or piss off dude, I just know "used" bikes. Have only had the security of owning something new out of box once on 7 bikes (Ninja 650R). Peace out.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2011, 01:09 PM   #14
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by coondog View Post
guy who has a bike 4-5 yrs. won't have receipts. I'd bet my house the engine window is caked up and black is the only color you'll see. The main thing is there are 06 and 07 ninjettes out there that are pretty pristine, all you need is patience,
receipts kinda depend on the person, think the average person doesnt keep crap. I know I keep everything for as long as I own it, makes me wonder why some times.
This bike sounds like the pristine find to me........... but you really never know till ya ride it around for awhile.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2011, 02:11 PM   #15
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Yeah, it's a good deal. Go look at it, open the tank and look inside with a light for rust. No rust, buy it. The rest is easy to deal with.

One word about fuel additives: They're not magic. Seafoam and other additives have a good reputation, but they're not miracle workers. If the carb bowls and tank are filled with old fuel sediment and debris no amount of Seafoam will clean it up. Physical removal and cleaning are the only way. Personally, unless I knew for a fact the fuel was no more than a month or two old I'd drain and refill with fresh. It's only a few dollars and eliminates just one more possible issue getting the bike into daily-rider status.

Most of the maintenance items I suggested are to get you to a known starting point with the bike. Changing the oil gets a fresh additive package in place to handle exhaust blowby acids and moisture. Changing the coolant is good because the acid-neutralizing additives get depleted over time. Brake fluid absorbs moisture over time; it's extremely hygroscopic. Moisture will damage piston bore surfaces over time.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2011, 02:26 PM   #16
mikesova
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2002 XR200r

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
I would avoid this bike like the plague.
why, because the carbs might need to be cleaned?
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2011, 02:46 PM   #17
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

We're all aware of the possibility of rusty fuel tanks, dirty clogged up carbs, and everything else you can think of, but it's all supposition right now and there's no way to tell anything 'till you look at the bike. And Seafoam or Berryman's is a lot easier and cheaper to try first before taking off and dismantling carbs.
Rickyny, go look at the damn thing if you can get through the next storm and let us know what happens. And a bad snowstorm is worth at least $200 off the price.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 12:46 AM   #18
rickyny
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
receipts kinda depend on the person, think the average person doesnt keep crap. I know I keep everything for as long as I own it, makes me wonder why some times.
This bike sounds like the pristine find to me........... but you really never know till ya ride it around for awhile.
I'm the same way HKr1, I keep my receipts all the time. And you're totally right about riding the bike, that's the only way to know. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
Yeah, it's a good deal. Go look at it, open the tank and look inside with a light for rust. No rust, buy it. The rest is easy to deal with.
One word about fuel additives: They're not magic. Seafoam and other additives have a good reputation, but they're not miracle workers. If the carb bowls and tank are filled with old fuel sediment and debris no amount of Seafoam will clean it up. Physical removal and cleaning are the only way. Personally, unless I knew for a fact the fuel was no more than a month or two old I'd drain and refill with fresh. It's only a few dollars and eliminates just one more possible issue getting the bike into daily-rider status.

Most of the maintenance items I suggested are to get you to a known starting point with the bike. Changing the oil gets a fresh additive package in place to handle exhaust blowby acids and moisture. Changing the coolant is good because the acid-neutralizing additives get depleted over time. Brake fluid absorbs moisture over time; it's extremely hygroscopic. Moisture will damage piston bore surfaces over time.
Absolutely Frugal , if I see rust I'll walk away, but is it fires up and I can ride it down the street and I see no rust inside the tank, I'll buy it. Besides, the maintenance I'll do on the bike I would have to do anyways in my opinion because the bike is 4 years old.
Quote:
We're all aware of the possibility of rusty fuel tanks, dirty clogged up carbs, and everything else you can think of, but it's all supposition right now and there's no way to tell anything 'till you look at the bike. And Seafoam or Berryman's is a lot easier and cheaper to try first before taking off and dismantling carbs.
Rickyny, go look at the damn thing if you can get through the next storm and let us know what happens. And a bad snowstorm is worth at least $200 off the price.
LOL, at least $200 you're right! I'll let you know for sure my friend.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 07:29 AM   #19
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

I'd buy it. I got a bike that had been sitting for something like 20 years running... it now starts a lot easier than my ninja LOL
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 9th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #20
mj23retired
ninjette.org member

Name: Ernie

Motorcycle(s): green 2010 ninja 250r

I am in roughly the same position. I am looking today at a bike that has been in a garage for around a year. However, the seller said that he has been starting it up weekly. I'm not sure if this is weekly for the whole year, or weekly since he has been thinking of selling it. Either way, all I need to do is look for rust on the inside of the tank as a tell tale sign?
mj23retired is offline   Reply With Quote