ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 5th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #1
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

First Impressions

Okay I am still in the break in period for another couple of commutes on the ninja and i got some impressions and questions for all the knowledgeable people here.

I got a good bit of highway commute and I have been keeping the revs no more than 10k once or twice to 11k. It seems to be running around 70mph at 9-10k. of course that depends on speedo error and all, I want to lower the rpms and regear for more cruising speed, how much of a difference will going down 1 tooth in the front drop my revs?

I think I also need to get the lower clipons the stock bars seem too high. the rearsets seem to be near perfect and the seat isnt all that bad.

I know everyone says the 250 has enough power but I find myself wanting more on the highway alot more, I guess I have to get used to the high rpm needed to run this bike, it seems like I am beating on it unnecessairly. My last bike was a SV650 and it would cruise at 70mph around 6k rpm so i got a learning curve.. Now on the backroads I love the ninjette it is so light and handles great even with the IRC tires, I only have 200 miles on the bike but with 90 mile commutes the miles will add up fast. I bought the bike mainly for a commuter and some backroad bombing, funny I haven't even tried to wheely the ninja on the SV I couldn't help but popping them all the time, especially power ones.

Anyone got any suggestions feel free to throw em out there.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #2
TheSquee
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '01 Ninja 250

You need to go up teeth in front to drop RPMs, if you drop teeth in front the front sprocket has to turn more to turn the wheel the same amount.

Up in front and down in back will lower RPMs for a given speed.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want_...nge_my_gearing
TheSquee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #3
kkim

Wiki on Ninjette is not bad, either.

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Category:Final_Drive
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #4
TheSquee
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '01 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Wiki on Ninjette is not bad, either.

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Category:Final_Drive
I don't know the ninjette site as well, mostly hang out here for the forums. But I knew I had read that article on the 250 FAQ on the other page.
TheSquee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #5
kkim

Just playing with you, Michael.

I agree the wiki over on 250.org is a great resource. Just wanted to let others know that we have resources here, too, which a lot of members are unaware of and/or is rarely used.

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Index

Old May 5th, 2010, 08:11 PM   #6
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Ok I will look into the up in front, don't really want to mess with changing chain as the bike is brand new, so going up 1 tooth in front going to make a noticable difference if not I will deal with it as stock until I feel like dropping the $$$ on 2 spockets and a new chain.

Ok checked it out i will have to order a new front sprocket and put it on.

Old May 6th, 2010, 07:30 AM   #7
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

This engine is designed for high rpms - the redline is 14,000. It is not comparable at all to that in the SV650, but the 6,000 rpms of the SV is pretty much equivalent to the 9,000 or so of the ninja. You may cruise at a slightly lower rpm but you may not gain any, and may sacrifice some, top end, because you run out of power against the increased wind resistance.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2010, 08:01 AM   #8
tjkamper
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I commute on the ninjette all the time at freeway speeds. Here in utah that means my speedo is almost never lower than 80 MPH.

I haven't had any trouble with the high revs. I change my oil regularly and I run synthetic. I also check my oil level almost every time I ride.

Lots of people have changed the sprockets, but I haven't; and I have had not adverse effects to date. (knock on wood).

The little engine likes to be reved high. Keep it between 6k and 13k and you'll be smiling all day long.

Old May 6th, 2010, 09:43 AM   #9
Kawikaze

Name: Daniel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R SE (Sold)

Same here.

I commute on the ninjette every day and the speedo reads 90 (but i'm sure that is not the true speed )

I did up a tooth on the front sprocket, and the difference has been great. I still have great response on the throttle, and the twisties home from work each day can't be beat.

Old May 6th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #10
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I highly recommend changing the front sprocket to a 15 tooth.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #11
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

Damn it.

"The little engine likes to be reved high. Keep it between 6k and 13k and you'll be smiling all day long."

I still have another 400 miles of break-in! Arghhhh
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #12
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab305 View Post
Damn it.

"The little engine likes to be reved high. Keep it between 6k and 13k and you'll be smiling all day long."

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Break-in

Old May 6th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #13
binlagin
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2005 CBR600RR

Yea, go with the 15 tooth front sprocket. You'll loose a little off the line acceleration... but you will gain some topend on all gears.

Very good investment for 20-30$
2005 CBR600RR - 2:19 Calabogie Motorsports Park, Ontario, Canada
binlagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #14
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Definitely try the 15T sprocket. As far as break in is concerned---give it hell. Kawi`s break in is pure BS. After 1000 miles, switch to synthetic. You and the bike should be fine. Incidentally, you do not need a new chain if you go for a 15T.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #15
Yoda
ninjette.org member

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Blue

I turn 30 miles round trip every day commuting and run at 60-65mph approx 7000-7500rpm. Bike pulls hard enough even in 6th gear for regular riding and for the get the bleeeep out of the way can always drop to 5th gear.

Interesting thing is on the straight aways Im getting passed by 600 and liter SS bikes but coming out of the few twisties Im riding up on their backsides.

Old May 7th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #16
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I turn 30 miles round trip every day commuting and run at 60-65mph approx 7000-7500rpm. Bike pulls hard enough even in 6th gear for regular riding and for the get the bleeeep out of the way can always drop to 5th gear.

Interesting thing is on the straight aways Im getting passed by 600 and liter SS bikes but coming out of the few twisties Im riding up on their backsides.
Well in the twisties, even mild ones the limit is not the difference between the 600 and the 250s hp it is the riders skills and balls, when i had the sv i would get dusted on the straights by any of the 600s or 1ks there is no comparison between the sv and supersports but I always keep up easily in the twisties. My daily commute round trip to work is 85 miles roundtrip so I have a good bit of highway in the mix so thats why i will probably switch out sprockets.

Old May 7th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #17
zenrush
ninjette.org member

Name: Russ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 650R, 2009 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab305 View Post
Damn it.

I asked about the break-in and someone on here told me to "ride it like I stole it" and I haven't regretted it one bit. Bike runs like a champ.
zenrush is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #18
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Update, took the bike for its first ride in the rural backroads around my house for a hour or so and I think I will live with the stock gearing for the highway, I don't think I would like it to be geared higher with all the backroads around.