ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 1st, 2009, 03:25 PM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Has anyone ever participated in an organized race that doesn't involve a track?

There are two that I have done, a Poker Run and a Google run.

Poker Run
The difference between a poker run and like a cannonball run, is that the poker run involves a deck of cards and several stops along the way. Typically the number of stops are 5, and the event is not timed. Build the best 5 card hand by randomly drawing cards at every stop. Best hand at the end of the run wins.

Just wondering who has done it, and who would be interested in doing such a thing. I'm not suggesting a huge meet, but we may be able to do regional stuff. It involves some peeps behind the scenes to be at each checkpoint and record when all cars have gone through, and at what time they got there. This lets the person at the station know when they are done and can proceed to the finish line. Each stop can be given directly or by using clues/hints.

Google Run:
Each person is given explicit directions to the next location. This can have as many stops as needed, but is normally in a single day. The route is planned ahead of time, and searched for via google maps. Document the total time for the entire "course". Document the starting time of each vehicle. Let them hit every single stop, log it at each stop, then log the return time to the starting point (usually a place to eat). Tally up the time and whoever comes closest to the "google time" without going under wins.

You all should give it a try, it is a lot of fun for a club.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2009, 04:47 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Our club held a poker run a few years back, and it was a fun day. Hadn't heard of a Google run before, but it sounds like an interesting idea as well. I wouldn't call either of those races, but that's a good thing; races don't belong on the public roads.

I've done a few endurance rallies that have a similar idea; find different bonuses for varying amounts of points, hit checkpoints within certain time periods, etc. Check out this year's Cal24 Rally Announcement for a little more info on it.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2009, 05:00 AM   #3
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I have been on several poker runs for charity. It seems to add a little more adventure to the ride.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:39 AM   #4
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I've done poker runs. They end up being races.