ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old September 22nd, 2018, 09:34 PM   #1
revolt_randy
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): 250 ninja

My '06 250 ninja project - seeking knowledge and advice

Hi all,

Had a couple of beers and got on craigslist.org one night....
00808_3bTlInO1Qrj_1200x900.jpg

Couple of bucks later, and it's got a new home....
20180723_202115.jpg

A couple of months later, it's in the garage.....
20180916_001944.jpg

The fuel tank is a mess, rusted out. Got a good fuel tank for the bike, with out a petcock. So that's my first point of focus. I want to get fuel to the carburetors and see if the bike has any life.

It's got 5500 miles, so it can't be too hurt.. other than the fact that it looks like junk.

Any help/advice is appreciated...

Randy

(this is a repost of my intro post found here:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=324623
)
revolt_randy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2018, 09:55 PM   #2
revolt_randy
ninjette.org newbie

So a bit about me:

I was riding motorcycles from a young age, and working on them. My first motorcycle was a honda z50a, 1971 model. Dad showed me how to work on it.

I know how to turn a wrench. The only time my vehicles go to a shop is when it's a job I can't do at home.

I'm posting this thread to document what I do with this motorcycle, and to gain advice and knowledge from the community. At the same time, I will be posting up my progress, and what and how I did it. Share the knowledge.

I don't know what the end result will be, but it will be something fun....

Randy

Old September 22nd, 2018, 10:30 PM   #3
revolt_randy
ninjette.org newbie

So here's where I'm at....

Dumped 2 1/2 gallons of rusted fuel and water from the gas tank. Got a good, rust free tank for the bike that I will be using. So tell me, what is the problem with these gas tanks? And how do I protect the tank I got that is rust free?

My first goal is to get the engine running before I dump one penny into this bike. I have to hear the engine run, before I spend money on it.

I rigged up a temp fuel tank and hooked up the carburetors, and tried starting it. No luck. In the process, I flooded the engine. I pulled the left spark plug out, but couldn't get the right spark plug out. Something is blocking the socket from getting on the spark plug. Can't see down the hole, took shots with the cell phone, and still I'm not sure what the problem is. The plug wire is intact, so it's not part of the plug wire that is blocking me.

Moving forward, since the fuel system is a mess, I decided to try to ether the bike. I hate using ether, but sometimes it helps. The airbox was a mess, not connected to the carbs, missing parts of the filter, etc... So when I tried the ether, I wasn't sure if it got into the engine.

I tore down the back of the bike, all the plastics, rear fender, rear wheel and got the airbox out. What a pain!

The airbox will be replaced with filters on each carb, and I assume the is a pcv vent that goes into the airbox that will need it's own filter?

Anyway, the bike is stripped down to the point where I can get ether into the carb's intake and try starting it.

I will report the results when I get back to work on it.

Any advice?
Randy

Old September 22nd, 2018, 10:53 PM   #4
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
If you want troublefree bike, keep everything stock. Don't use pod filters, you will have tonnes of problem with stumbling and temperamental running. Especially in crosswinds.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 06:16 AM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Right, just do the air-box battery-box separation mod and it'll end the problem of having to do so much work to get to the carbs.

Last futzed with by Triple Jim; September 23rd, 2018 at 09:38 AM.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2018, 06:24 AM   #6
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Pull the carbs and have a look inside the bowls. Probably need new pilot jets. They are not really something that can be just cleaned out. The jet hole is super small. If the carbs are full of green corrosion then replace or send out for rebuild.

Change the oil . Look at the filter for junk

Check that the fuel petcock actually works. There is a kit to rebuild it or just replace it.

If you get it running buy new tires

Old September 28th, 2018, 10:18 PM   #7
revolt_randy
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for all the comments!

I'll do the airbox mod for sure. Keep it stock till I get it running.

And I can't get it running at all. I ether the carb intakes and get nothing. I've got spark on the left side. Don't know about the right side because there is something blocking me from getting a socket on the plug. Without pulling that spark plug, I can't test (leak down or compression) that cylinder. So I think I may have to take the head off.

The carbs were dropped off at a shop for cleaning/rebuild.

Any advice on how to make a fitting to adapt my automotive leak down gauge, that connects into a car's spark plug hole, to a motorcycle spark plug hole would be appreciated.

This project will be put on hold, as winter is on it's way. This will be a winter project for sure. I plan to be riding by spring, but I do enjoy toying with bikes.....

Thanks,
Randy

Old September 29th, 2018, 05:24 AM   #8
Z1R rider

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolt_randy View Post
Thanks for all the comments!

Any advice on how to make a fitting to adapt my automotive leak down gauge, that connects into a car's spark plug hole, to a motorcycle spark plug hole would be appreciated.
go to the auto parts store and get (I had to order) a 10mm (if I remember right) adaptor.

Old September 30th, 2018, 05:46 PM   #9
SecN8ure
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 04EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolt_randy View Post
...So tell me, what is the problem with these gas tanks? And how do I protect the tank I got that is rust free?
If the original tank's paint is still in fair/good shape and has no holes from rust, save it. Caswell coat both the original and replacement. Search Youtube for directions. You can get a kit for around $50 for one tank. Start with one tank. Most advice I've read for a successful restoration is to follow the instructions carefully. I've done one and it turned out great. Good luck!
SecN8ure is offline   Reply With Quote