ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 27th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #41
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Name: Duckman

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, '06 Chopper, '80 Puch Magnum II, '01 SV650, '99 CR250/CR500AF Sportbike. '02 CRF450/CR500AF Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by taikahn View Post
bad ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
duckman, you're my hero. bike looks amazing so far. keep it up man. can't wait to see it rolling.

Thanks guys! Your compliments are a big motivating factor!
TheDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #42
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, '06 Chopper, '80 Puch Magnum II, '01 SV650, '99 CR250/CR500AF Sportbike. '02 CRF450/CR500AF Dirt

Covering some chain guide clearance issues, rear wheel assembly and rear brake as well as the right side rearset clearance with the kickstarter plans.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old June 27th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #43
ako
ninjette.org member

Name: Mick

Motorcycle(s): EX250-H

cool project

Nice to see someone trying new things.
ako is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 27th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #44
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
good stuff! i have that same rear monocaliper
just a suggestion, probably more work than it would be worth but if you want to mount the rearset closer to the frame, you might be able to modify the rear brake lever to fold outward so when you kick start it, you can fold the brake lever out of the way then start it. then when you're done fold the brake lever back. i would think if its hinged to fold outward only it wouldn't mess with the up/down motion of the using it as a brake since you're pushing straight down opposed to out... although if you did this i'm sure you would want a spring to hold it in, and some kind of lock to hold it out when you're kicking. although it might screw with using it with a front wheel in the air! xD
keep it up, duckman.

Old November 8th, 2011, 07:07 PM   #45
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Its been too long! I found a cheap radiator! Here's another long-awaited update!

Old November 8th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #46
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Hahahaha!! i should take a photo of all the moto parts in my kitchen. bike's looking good man. what kind of hoses are you going to use? i love the look of steel braded cables. they look so much better than rubber!
any plans for seats or cowls yet?

Old November 8th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #47
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

omg I want it!!

Old November 8th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #48
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Duck, You are building the penultimate cafe racer. At my age, rapidly approaching 70, I am inspired by you.

To that end, I have bought a running Honda 450 along with a parts bike, and plan to build a cafe racer like I cherished in the 60s.

It will not be a rocket like you are building but I hope it will be retro enough to elicit fond memories of the "Rockers". It will not be a slug. I expect that it will perform rather nicely.

Will keep you posted on my progress. Have TIG Welder.

Old November 8th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #49
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

NIce Work, can't wait to see it go!
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #50
expat
ninjette.org member

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250

I think they should legalize the 2 stroke again!!
Anyone who has never ridden one of these beasts doesnt know what they are missing!!
expat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2014, 11:32 PM   #51
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Hey @TheDuck! Did you ever get this puppy up and running?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2014, 11:56 PM   #52
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Hey @TheDuck! Did you ever get this puppy up and running?
Hey there! Its been quite a while since I've been around here. I made some major life changes in the past 3 years, and just ended a chapter of it this past weekend. I'M SINGLE AGAIN! WHOOPIE!!!! I do still have the project, but sadly I hardly ever touch it.... but I feel thats about to change.

Otherwise, yes, I had it running last year... the first time I ever tried to start it, I video documented, of course!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 8th, 2014, 12:03 AM   #53
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Big news! Females beware; TheDuck is on the loose! Good to hear from you, and hope you do find some time to play with your toys.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2014, 12:56 AM   #54
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

I love that my first 2 thoughts are "Is that legal" and "Is that safe"

Good on ya mate.

Old April 8th, 2014, 06:12 AM   #55
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
first time I have seen this thread, pretty cool.

Did you just tear the top end down and put it back together, clearly not new piston, what about rings? cylinder doesn't look honed?

You need to pressurize that head pipe and heat it up get rid of that dent gotta love a good looking fat head pipe

What kind of gearing you gonna run on this thing?
Flywheel weight might be a reasonable idea as well

What kind of life expectancy do you have for the top end? That was always one of my main concerns about building a Sumo from a 2stroke dirt engine. I didn't want to be doing top end rebuilds every 80hrs of ride time and changing crank case oil ever 5hrs of ride time give or take

Pretty cool! Keep us posted, there is another guy that recently been posting and since you have been gone you might not have seen any of his stuff.
He built a street bike with a banshee motor pretty awesome!

@Vintage Smoke

relative thread
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...banshee&page=2

Video of bike
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...4&postcount=54

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2014, 06:54 AM   #56
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuck View Post
Hey there! Its been quite a while since I've been around here. I made some major life changes in the past 3 years, and just ended a chapter of it this past weekend. I'M SINGLE AGAIN! WHOOPIE!!!! I do still have the project, but sadly I hardly ever touch it.... but I feel thats about to change.

Otherwise, yes, I had it running last year... the first time I ever tried to start it, I video documented, of course!

awesome man, I love that project
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2014, 07:26 AM   #57
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Big news! Females beware; TheDuck is on the loose! Good to hear from you, and hope you do find some time to play with your toys.
Yeah, and I've got more toys than before. Over the past year I started to bring home air-cooled Volkswagens again, too... I'm on the 7th one now. There seems to be a lot of demand and I'm having a hard time keeping them, I do a little work on them, get them working nicely and then people keep buying them faster than I can play with them. Could turn into a business if it keeps up.

I am keeping quite busy. I will do a video tour of the yard soon.

Without a woman bossing, occupying my time, spending all the money, and taking up space I'll have A LOT more freedom to do what I want to do. I'm not sure how I did, but somehow I survived the last 3 years with her.

Couple quick things SkeeterTheDuck and I wound up in a very small part in a John Schneider written and directed movie. Watch for Smothered which should be coming out soon. It has A LOT of horror film baddies in it all starring together. Picture Jason vs Leatherface vs Otis B. Driftwood vs Michael Meyers as well as the Christine Movie Car and a big bunch of other names... but all the above are victims for a change... lol its awesome!

Also I was spotted with SkeeterTheDuck on the news at a convention, and they kept running it split-screen with Ernie Hudson from Ghostbusters. I was in a terrible mood that morning, but I guess I looked crazy enough carrying a duck that they had to run it over and over again on the news for a week!

Well anyways, those are some of the more interesting highlights from the past 3 years, more on the CR500 is on the way!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 8th, 2014, 10:10 AM   #58
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): Ugly 89 frankenstien special ex250, and the "Zooks" : 1982 GS450 and 1979 GS1000

Subscribed very cool!!

As evidenced by my screen name, I was/am daydreaming about one day powering a ninjette with the KX500 motor, so I'm paying close attention here!!

Old April 8th, 2014, 10:30 AM   #59
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxpower? View Post
Subscribed very cool!!

As evidenced by my screen name, I was/am daydreaming about one day powering a ninjette with the KX500 motor, so I'm paying close attention here!!
It should work for you. I originally had that CR500 engine in an SV650. The answer seems to be to cut a CR500 frame and adapt the lower section as an engine cradle. Get the chain aligned properly.. and weld that sucker in. Then come up with a head stay. Should be the same for a KX500.

Only trouble I had was extending the kickstarter shaft to clear the frame, seems no matter what I did, they always broke off... shortly thereafter I aquired a smaller, lighter CR250 frame and went that route instead using most of the same suspension components that were going to go on the SV650.

Old April 8th, 2014, 10:36 AM   #60
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kscreations08 View Post
I love that my first 2 thoughts are "Is that legal" and "Is that safe"
first question, probably not but it depends on where you are

second question, AWW HELL NAW!

sick build, I love it. Makes me want one of them 750cc 2 stroke bikes. Those things are just insane.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2014, 01:07 PM   #61
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Volkswagen vans are really popular over here. They're quite beautiful machines. Something special about them.

Lots of people here drive down to Cornwall (the southern most point of England) in them in the summer. It's a thing.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2014, 08:37 AM   #62
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): Ugly 89 frankenstien special ex250, and the "Zooks" : 1982 GS450 and 1979 GS1000

Quote:
It should work for you. I originally had that CR500 engine in an SV650. The answer seems to be to cut a CR500 frame and adapt the lower section as an engine cradle. Get the chain aligned properly.. and weld that sucker in. Then come up with a head stay. Should be the same for a KX500.
My thoughts had been to fab up some brackets to support the motor off the stock engine mount points, mostly to minimize the work but also because the engine-less KX is a great dirtbike frame, a lot of folks swap the KX 250 motor into them to get that incredible suspension with a much less thirsty (and easier to start haha) engine. My brother has a 250 and a 500 and has offered to buy my donor bike if/when I do the swap. Buuuuut, in that case I could make the engine cradle from the 250 frame. Deep thoughts...

Quote:
Only trouble I had was extending the kickstarter shaft to clear the frame, seems no matter what I did, they always broke off... shortly thereafter I aquired a smaller, lighter CR250 frame and went that route instead using most of the same suspension components that were going to go on the SV650.
You know a while back there was a guy not far from me who was selling a 4-wheeler with the kx500 motor and he was having the same problem. I should have bought it lol. My thinking would be to remove the kickstarter shaft and have someone machine a longer one from a solid piece of steel, that way there's no welds to break. Or maybe weld a little sprocket onto the shaft and run a piece of chain to the kick-starter, which would be cool because you could put the kickstarter back on the frame above the pedal.