ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 10th, 2014, 02:45 PM   #1
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Name: Han Solo

Motorcycle(s): Had a 2008 Ninja 250, til some low-life stole it. Now riding a 2013 red cbr250.

Trick out my 250 or go for a 300?

Ugh, I'm so torn.

I've got a set amount of money to play with. Not enough to get a 300 now, but enough to really make my 250 nice. Here's the scoop:

I have a 2008 Black ninja, 5,000 miles, near mint condition except for a tiny scratch when I forgot to put the kickstand down, and eased her down on her side instead of getting a hernia holding her up.

I'm about to get her some Pirelli Diablo Rossi II's (about $280 mounted), a new nice exhaust (about $200), a Koso gauge set (about $400 with everything), and a custom paint job to make it candy lime green and black ($500 - $700).

Total to trick up my 250: between $1,380 to about $1,600.

If I sell the 250, I could probably get about $2,500 for her. Add the $1,600 to it, and I have $4,100. Not nearly enough for the 300, which will probably be about $6,500 out the door (I want the 2014 lime green SE with ABS. The normal 2014 300 is still about $6000 out the door, I believe, so not much difference).

I don't want any payments on the Ninja (really, it's more of a wife decision. What's another $80 a month I say. She just shakes her head.)

I'm so torn! Do I ride around on a 250 I'm not happy with for the summer while I save up here and there to get the 300, at which point it will most likely be around September/close to the end of the riding season?

Or do I trick out my 250 now, be happy with it, all the while knowing that the 300 is nicer and that now I won't be able to afford it??

Ugh!
Han Solo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2014, 02:48 PM   #2
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
That is enough for a used 300. Get a 300, they are fun.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2014, 02:52 PM   #3
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): Had a 2008 Ninja 250, til some low-life stole it. Now riding a 2013 red cbr250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
That is enough for a used 300. Get a 300, they are fun.
I'd love to, but haven't seen a used 300 for under $5000 (ABQ, NM).

Just the looks of the thing is more fun. The fairings and headlight are beautiful.

Old February 10th, 2014, 02:53 PM   #4
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R, 1998 Ducati 748L #77/100

Save for three hunnid
Floki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2014, 02:54 PM   #5
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

ok so in my oppinion, anytime i have gotten tired of my baby i just paint her. but im telling you know you can do a professional grade pain job for like 150 with buying a paint gun. so 5-700 its outrageous in my eyes. i would hold of on upgrades that dont raise the value of the bike.

so here is what i would do if i was in your shoes:

*tires. if you need new ones grab kendas unless you ride track

*paint. since your bike is already black hunt around and get you some kick ass vinyl or body wrap to get some kawi green in there. there are ppl out there that can do ANYTHING with vinyl!

*exhast. i wouldnt upgrade unless you find an inane deal.

*guages. i would save that upgrade for a bike that you want to keep for a very long time.

so if i was in your shoes: kenda tires, vinyl to get a sick color scheme, start saving, sell in the hot season buy in the cold season, you could have your new 300 by christmas. but i would buy after the new year hit so u save more money!

Old February 10th, 2014, 03:01 PM   #6
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

This has been a never-ending dilemma for me

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #7
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post
Ugh, I'm so torn...

...Do I ride around on a 250 I'm not happy with for the summer while I save up here and there to get the 300, at which point it will most likely be around September/close to the end of the riding season?

Or do I trick out my 250 now, be happy with it, all the while knowing that the 300 is nicer and that now I won't be able to afford it??
So $4100 for what you got plus upgrades versus $6500 for a new one that has the right options...

Are you (and will you really be) unhappy with the bike after you do the mods? And if you buy the new one, will that really make you 159% happier, bike-wise, than you would be with your current bike fixed up the way you want it? Is it possessing the bike that makes you happy or riding the bike?

When I ride, I don't notice the paint or appearance of the exhaust system. I do feel the tires. Happiness and happiness-per-dollar are difficult to measure but may be enlightening to think about. Only you can determine what brings you joy, satisfaction, and contentmemt.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2014, 03:04 PM   #8
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oxSin View Post
ok so in my oppinion, anytime i have gotten tired of my baby i just paint her. but im telling you know you can do a professional grade pain job for like 150 with buying a paint gun. so 5-700 its outrageous in my eyes. i would hold of on upgrades that dont raise the value of the bike.

so here is what i would do if i was in your shoes:

*tires. if you need new ones grab kendas unless you ride track

*paint. since your bike is already black hunt around and get you some kick ass vinyl or body wrap to get some kawi green in there. there are ppl out there that can do ANYTHING with vinyl!

*exhast. i wouldnt upgrade unless you find an inane deal.

*guages. i would save that upgrade for a bike that you want to keep for a very long time.

so if i was in your shoes: kenda tires, vinyl to get a sick color scheme, start saving, sell in the hot season buy in the cold season, you could have your new 300 by christmas. but i would buy after the new year hit so u save more money!
Hmm. Intriguing suggestion. I can forgo the tires (they aren't totally worn yet, I just want something stickier on her), I can forgo the paint (what's another summer of boring black if I have a light at the end of the tunnel), and I can forgo the gauges (even though my speedo doesn't work half the time).

But I will probably still go with the exhaust. It's just a slip-on can (Leo Vince GP Corsa), and I can't stand sounding like a freaking lawn mower on the road. When I got the bike, my coworkers were like "Oh, that is so cool! Very sexy! Turn it on, we want to hear it!" And when I revved it, they said, "What?! That's it?" and laughed. And they don't even have motorcycles, to compare it to! Sounds like a moped.

So I guess my question is, would I be able to put a Leo Vince GP Corsa slip-on onto the 300 once I get it?

If not, I'll sacrifice the summer and sound like a lawnmower for 1 more year. . .

Old February 10th, 2014, 03:05 PM   #9
broken neck
ninjette.org guru

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Special Edition (sold), 2017 CRF250 Rally

Trick the hell out of the 250...

Once you'll get the 300 you'll want to trick it anyway, but you won't have the money to do so...

That's the path I chose... It might not be yours though...
broken neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2014, 03:06 PM   #10
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Ugh, I'm so torn.

I've got a set amount of money to play with. Not enough to get a 300 now, but enough to really make my 250 nice. Here's the scoop:

I have a 2008 Black ninja, 5,000 miles, near mint condition except for a tiny scratch when I forgot to put the kickstand down, and eased her down on her side instead of getting a hernia holding her up.

I'm about to get her some Pirelli Diablo Rossi II's (about $280 mounted), a new nice exhaust (about $200), a Koso gauge set (about $400 with everything), and a custom paint job to make it candy lime green and black ($500 - $700).

If I sell the 250, I could probably get about $2,500 for her. Add the $1,600 to it, and I have $4,100. Not nearly enough for the 300, which will probably be about $6,500 out the door (I want the 2014 lime green SE with ABS. The normal 2014 300 is still about $6000 out the door, I believe, so not much difference).

I don't want any payments on the Ninja (really, it's more of a wife decision. What's another $80 a month I say. She just shakes her head.)

I'm so torn! Do I ride around on a 250 I'm not happy with for the summer while I save up here and there to get the 300, at which point it will most likely be around September/close to the end of the riding season?

Ugh!
End of the riding season, in Albuquerque... really?

Is there going to be a massive difference between the 250 & a 300? A little more power, it looks different, fair enough the ABS but with SS lines & a bit of practise you can emergency brake from ~90 mph to a stop in fairly short order. It's not like you get rain every 3rd day or so.

Quote:
Hmm. Intriguing suggestion. I can forgo the tires (they aren't totally worn yet, I just something stickier on her), I can forgo the paint (what's another summer of boring black if I have a light at the end of the tunnel), and I can forgo the gauges (even though my speedo doesn't work half the time).
So mint yeah... ignore the broken gauges
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2014, 03:08 PM   #11
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
So $4100 for what you got plus upgrades versus $6500 for a new one that has the right options...

Are you (and will you really be) unhappy with the bike after you do the mods? And if you buy the new one, will that really make you 159% happier, bike-wise, than you would be with your current bike fixed up the way you want it? Is it possessing the bike that makes you happy or riding the bike?

When I ride, I don't notice the paint or appearance of the exhaust system. I do feel the tires. Happiness and happiness-per-dollar are difficult to measure but may be enlightening to think about. Only you can determine what brings you joy, satisfaction, and contentmemt.
Very good points. Honestly, I care alot about how the bike feels. . . I really want to try those DRII tires on it and see what everyone is raving about. But I went into the dealership the other day and looked at and sat on a 300, and just drooled. I almost broke the Ultimate Rule in our marriage and made a major purchase without consulting the boss.

It might be my imagination, but I felt like I sat a little more forward/race-like on the 300, the digital gauge was very nice, and it just seemed heftier. The design of the fairings are fantastic (even though I can't see them when I'm riding, I like looking at the bike too. And yes, I do care how it looks like to others. . .I think most people do).

I don't like the headlight set on the 250, it looks like a baby. The 300 looks meaner. . . . .

What a dilemma.

Old February 10th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #12
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
End of the riding season, in Albuquerque... really?

Is there going to be a massive difference between the 250 & a 300? A little more power, it looks different, fair enough the ABS but with SS lines & a bit of practise you can emergency brake from ~90 mph to a stop in fairly short order. It's not like you get rain every 3rd day or so.
True, I'm riding back and forth to work right now, and it's the beginning of February. Riding season here is very long compared to other areas. But still, it's not really feasible in November/December/January. Riding to work in 20 degree weather isn't fun.

No, not a massive difference between 250 to 300 in terms of power, but I don't really care about that. This is a commuter/toy for me. I don't really go canyon carving or racing around at 100 mph. I also don't want to go above 300 for insurance rate purposes.

Old February 10th, 2014, 03:14 PM   #13
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

Ride a 300 and decide. Don't spend a single red penny till you ride a 300. Don't even put gas in the 250.
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2014, 03:15 PM   #14
Whiskey

Quote:
True, I'm riding back and forth to work right now, and it's the beginning of February. Riding season here is very long compared to other areas. But still, it's not really feasible in November/December/January. Riding to work in 20 degree weather isn't fun.

No, not a massive difference between 250 to 300 in terms of power, but I don't really care about that. This is a commuter/toy for me. I don't really go canyon carving or racing around at 100 mph. I also don't want to go above 300 for insurance rate purposes.
The 300 is also a twin, to the best of my knowledge it's a slightly bored out 250 lump, it's not going to sound much different.

There are a few threads on here about fixing gauges too, Koso look good but will have the same problem if you don't sort the fault.

EDIT:
Long range in about freezing conditions is not fun, but with reasonable gear you can have a bit of a laugh on cold days.

Old February 10th, 2014, 03:16 PM   #15
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by old3 View Post
Ride a 300 and decide. Don't spend a single red penny till you ride a 300. Don't even put gas in the 250.
This would be a great suggestion to a mature, responsible person. Problem is for me, if I ride it, I'll buy it.

I'm already assuming it handles exactly the same. If it's even slightly better, I will be thrilled.

Old February 10th, 2014, 03:17 PM   #16
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
The 300 is also a twin, to the best of my knowledge it's a slightly bored out 250 lump, it's not going to sound much different.
Do you know if the slip-ons for a 250 would fit on a 300? Or would I have to sell and re-buy one?

If they are interchangeable, that might influence my decision somewhat.

Old February 10th, 2014, 03:21 PM   #17
Whiskey

Quote:
Do you know if the slip-ons for a 250 would fit on a 300? Or would I have to sell and re-buy one?

If they are interchangeable, that might influence my decision somewhat.
I don't know to be honest, my gut says it probably should fit, they're similar flow rates, you may need a different link pipe & hanger.

Old February 10th, 2014, 03:21 PM   #18
old3
ninjette.org sage

I have an Akra SO for the 2012 250 on my 300 but I tell you what, I'd rather ride a bone stock 300 than a typical "bolt on" modded 250. Whole different animal. Stock piped it doesn't sound scooterish, more of a I4 than a twin.

Seriously, ride one.

Old February 10th, 2014, 03:24 PM   #19
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

beat ur 250 to the ground, once the engine goes throw in a 300 engine and ur ballin.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2014, 03:27 PM   #20
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
You're spending most of your money on looks, not performance. Putting a can on it without tuning it is basically doing little but changing the way it sounds. The only thing on your list that will make the bike work better is the tires.

This comes down to a matter of priorities. Do you want a cooler bike, or do you want a "funner" bike?

Me, I'll take more fun every time.

If you put more money into making the 250 a better motorcycle (as opposed to a better-looking motorcycle), you'll get performance comparable to that of a 300 without spending the money.

My 2008 had a full AreaP exhaust, jet kit and K&N filter. Total cost had all that stuff been new... about $600 or something like that. As it happened I got the exhaust used, so it wasn't that much. I also invested in clip-ons and rearset adjusters, so I had sportier ergos (I'm a function-over-form guy).

It made a dyno-measured 29 horsepower at the rear wheel and had I spent more time and effort probably could have made more. That's in the ball park of the actual rear-wheel horsepower of a 300.

The nice thing about going for a 300 is that you START there and have room to make it better later on.

So my $0.02... spend your money making the 250 all it can be and enjoy it. Save money for your eventual upgrade. We've got some really exciting stuff headed our way... the new small Yamaha and Triumph bikes, the KTM 390, etc. etc.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2014, 03:49 PM   #21
old3
ninjette.org sage

The 300 is usually what? 34 RWHP, but dyno to dyno, temp, etc it could be more or less compared to yours. Without using the same dyno, well you just don't have a number that matters much IMO. It mattered that day, on that dyno but not compared to controlled HP measurements from the mfg.

The 300 is a midrange tuned motor. It falls flat at the top end. You might get within 4-6 HP peak, (still a huge difference on a bike with 28 HP) but the torque is where the 300 is most impressive. Roll on at 3500 RPM is actually useful. You can grunt it and short shift it while going fast on the street, and the trans ratios are wider too.

Add a tuner to the 300 and pods/pipe and forget it. 10-12 more peak HP and even more low/mid.

Sorry, I loved the 250s too but this is a whole new level of performance and potential in the 300.

You aren't "starting" at the top tier power of 250 mods, like with your 250. On a stock 300 you are already well beyond that. 4-6 HP is huge.

Old February 10th, 2014, 03:58 PM   #22
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Sorry, I loved the 250s too but this is a whole new level of performance and potential in the 300.
Argh.

Old February 10th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #23
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

IMO: get the new tires, skip the gauges, paint and exhaust. Ride and enjoy your 250. Save your money for your next bike. The cosmetics you want to do to your bike would be money down the drain as far as resell. It's up to you as far as what you choose to do but you asked for opinions and that's mine. Good luck !

Old February 10th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #24
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
You can get a nice GSXR750 for $4100. About 90% of the riders get a GSXR750. The other 10% get something else.

Old February 10th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #25
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
You can get a nice GSXR750 for $4100. About 90% of the riders get a GSXR750. The other 10% get something else.
Not really looking to get anything bigger than around 300 to 500 cc's. Don't want to lose an arm and a leg in insurance.

Old February 10th, 2014, 05:10 PM   #26
old3
ninjette.org sage

Here is my honest take on the difference from the carbed 250 to the FI 300. You ride the 250 "like a 250". Row the gears, carry speed, downshift a lot to hold speeds uphill, headwind, whatever. The 300 you can just ride like a "normal" bike.

It needs more RPM than a 750/1400 but really, in normal, go out and ride it mode, you just don't feel like you have to wring its neck anywhere, even when going fast. If it is at 4k, it will not go Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuwahhhh, it just goes faster at WFO.

I'll shift at 6-7k on spirited country road rides and be flying. 4th gear with a +1 CS sprocket is GPS true 87 MPH. It pulled the 4 mile uphill on NY highway 17w ay 75 MPH in 6th without strain bone stock motor. I'm almost sure my kid's 2012 250 needed 4th gear on that one.

Ride one and short shift the thing below 4000 RPM in 3rd and hold the throttle full open. That will show you the real difference IMO.

Budget $35 for new steering head bearings and save for a better front brake set up.

Old February 10th, 2014, 05:19 PM   #27
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Here is my honest take on the difference from the carbed 250 to the FI 300. You ride the 250 "like a 250". Row the gears, carry speed, downshift a lot to hold speeds uphill, headwind, whatever. The 300 you can just ride like a "normal" bike.

It needs more RPM than a 750/1400 but really, in normal, go out and ride it mode, you just don't feel like you have to wring its neck anywhere, even when going fast. If it is at 4k, it will not go Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuwahhhh, it just goes faster at WFO.

I'll shift at 6-7k on spirited country road rides and be flying. 4th gear with a +1 CS sprocket is GPS true 87 MPH. It pulled the 4 mile uphill on NY highway 17w ay 75 MPH in 6th without strain bone stock motor. I'm almost sure my kid's 2012 250 needed 4th gear on that one.

Ride one and short shift the thing below 4000 RPM in 3rd and hold the throttle full open. That will show you the real difference IMO.

Budget $35 for new steering head bearings and save for a better front brake set up.
Ok, you've convinced me. I'll go out and ride one next weekend and see what's what.

By the way, do you have any idea of a GP Corsa slip-on (Leo Vince) will fit the 300 (originally bought for my 250)? It's on its way to me now and I'm wondering whether I should just refuse delivery and wait.

Old February 10th, 2014, 05:37 PM   #28
old3
ninjette.org sage

I think somebody had a problem with one brand but I don't recall which one. Might have been the owner/operator in error too? The 250 Akra fell right on.

Old February 10th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #29
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenaero View Post
IMO: get the new tires, skip the gauges, paint and exhaust. Ride and enjoy your 250. Save your money for your next bike. The cosmetics you want to do to your bike would be money down the drain as far as resell. It's up to you as far as what you choose to do but you asked for opinions and that's mine. Good luck !
Agree with this. Get the tires and skip everything else. You won't get all your money back for your mods, they depreciate just like everything else on the bike. I'm not familiar with your local market but $4100 sounds very optimistic on what is essentially a common place 6 or 7 year old starter 250 bike. I paid less than that for mine 4 years ago for a 1 year old bike. Add another $900 and you're into used 300 territory according to yourself.

I see it all the time on used listings, people who sink a whole bunch of cash into mods and upgrades and try to recoup that cost back in the selling price. Usually those bikes sit on the market for months, sometimes even years.

Old February 10th, 2014, 06:38 PM   #30
Xtina
ninjette.org guru

Name: Christina

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300, 2007 Gsxr 600, R6-sold :(

300 hands down. It's a completely different bike to the 250.
Xtina is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 10th, 2014, 06:45 PM   #31
shane liberty
ninjette.org member

Name: Shane

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

Quote:
Ugh, I'm so torn.

Ugh!

How about this. You sell it and buy Ted Rich's Ninja 300 he has for sale for $2,500 without any bodywork?

He owns a shop as well as does riding instruction. His girl races the 300 so they have spare bikes. They travel around and I think they drive through New Mexico on occasion so you could potentially meet up with Ted when he's traveling.

PM him on Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/SBKtraining?fref=ts&ref=br_tf

He offered up the bike to the CVMA 250 racers but most of us can't afford to switch bikes right now and we're worried that they're going to split the class anyway which will mean you're getting scored separately from your friends when you race. I'm sure his bike is legit, you'll just have to buy some race fairings or something to dress it back up. Would be the cheapest way to get into a 300 that's not horribly crashed
shane liberty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2014, 06:45 PM   #32
evidens83
bike noob

Name: ev

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r(sold) 04 Yamaha R6

If you're not happy with it why throw money away trying to like it?? Save the money and get what you want later.
evidens83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2014, 07:12 PM   #33
Whiskey

Quote:

Wringing it's neck is fun, cutting up a rider on a faster bike through the corners & coming out of them with the bike screaming through redline is fun, hell I'm usually 750 - 950 cc short of what the rest are on & hunt them down pretty well.

Unless I'm really going for it I'm not much faster on 600s/675s ... the 848 was a different story, 130mph on a wet back road in November was entirely balls to the wall given the weather,

Old February 10th, 2014, 07:14 PM   #34
YunMing
ninjette.org member

Name: Alexander

Motorcycle(s): (Sold) 2007 Red Ninja 250r, 2003 Cbr 600 F4i

Keep it the way it is. Save your money for your next bike.
YunMing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2014, 07:19 PM   #35
old3
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Wringing it's neck is fun, cutting up a rider on a faster bike through the corners & coming out of them with the bike screaming through redline is fun, hell I'm usually 750 - 950 cc short of what the rest are on & hunt them down pretty well.

Unless I'm really going for it I'm not much faster on 600s/675s ... the 848 was a different story, 130mph on a wet back road in November was entirely balls to the wall given the weather,
Yep, you can still do that on the 300, though it really doesn't do much over 10,500 until you put a tune in it, mostly noise. Truthfully, they made it a little boring. Good, competent but boring. Not peaky like the 250. I expected a 250 with major boost up top, flat/dead until it took off at 7K.

Hard to complain as they got a lot of beef out of the low/mid, just different power in the 300.

I've been trying to get my mitts on a Aprilia or Derbi 125 DOHC 4t sport bike, so yeah, I get it!

Old February 11th, 2014, 08:42 AM   #36
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Well, after riding around on my 250 yesterday evening and this morning, I think I'm leaning towards staying with it. It was annoying have to warm her up this morning (stupid carb), but it's not a huge deal.

And I think I see the point now about getting the 300 and wanting to trick that up, too.

The 300 I saw in the showroom has Road Winner tires, which I think are crap, so I'd have to get tires for it. And the exhaust isn't that much deeper/louder than the 250. So I'd need to do something about that, too.

I don't know. . . maybe I should just get the new tires for the 250, spring for a total exhaust system, and if I feel like making it prettier I'll just get a seat cowl and a paint job (not sure I could do the paint myself, as someone suggested, since I don't have a garage and I've never painted anything in my life. . . ).

And I think my 250 knew I was talking about her - the speedo is working now!

Old February 11th, 2014, 08:56 AM   #37
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

So are you against getting a used 300? Like I pointed out earlier, sounds like it'd be the way to go for you in terms of where to throw your money at. You said you could probably get $2500 for your 250. You were going to spend $1600 on mods on it any ways. Save that cash, sell the 250 and find another $900. Now you're in the game for a used 300

Old February 11th, 2014, 09:01 AM   #38
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
So are you against getting a used 300? Like I pointed out earlier, sounds like it'd be the way to go for you in terms of where to throw your money at. You said you could probably get $2500 for your 250. You were going to spend $1600 on mods on it any ways. Save that cash, sell the 250 and find another $900. Now you're in the game for a used 300
Yeah, I know, that's true. I'm just not sure. If I get a used 300, I will still want to change out the tires and exhaust on it. Which is another $600 or so. . .

Haven't made up my mind yet, but I just don't know.

I did send a message to Ted Rich, as shane liberty suggested, but after I sent it (haven't gotten a response quite yet), I checked around for OEM 300 fairings, and was shocked. Might as well buy a brand new 300 for that amount of money.

Old February 11th, 2014, 09:16 AM   #39
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

You don't need to do everything at once but even if you bought a new 300, sounds like you would still switch out the tires and exhaust. You just need to settle on a realistic objective and plan how to get there and don't deviate. Right now, it sounds like you're really leaning towards the 300 in some shape or form.

Exercise a bit a patience and think hard about whether spending $1600 on mods on a $2500 bike that you may end up getting rid of is really going to make you satisfied or is only a half measure. Best of luck

Old February 11th, 2014, 09:33 AM   #40
dino74

Name: dino

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 Street, '09 250 Race, '13 300 Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtina View Post
300 hands down. It's a completely different bike to the 250.
I have two 250s and one 300. 300 all the way! FI, slipper, digital gauge and IMHO better looking design.
CVMA #55
dino74 is offline   Reply With Quote