ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 3rd, 2011, 06:48 AM   #1
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

blinkers don't work

Hello,

blinkers stopped working today, with no obvious reason. I turned the bike on and they simply don't work. Was all normal last time.

Fuse is ok, there is 12V on it.
There is no voltage on blinkers' connectors, left or right, regardless of the switch position. I tried the front blinkers only.

I have the wiring diagram, and as far as I can tell (and honestly I can't really ) only thing that can be wrong after the fuse is the relay or the switch.
Somehow i doubt that the switch can suddenly stop working.

So I suppose the relay is the problem. Another problem is that I don't know where it is on the motorcycle. Does anyone know? If I manage to find it (if someone tells me ), what would happen if I shorted the contacts of the relay? Would the blinkers just light up without blinking? I guess that would mean that the relay is dead and that i need a new one.

Help!
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:53 AM   #2
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

check the flasher relay
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2011, 10:16 AM   #3
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Yep check the relay, its under your seat and on a braket to itself I believe on the left most side of the frame. You should try cleaning it first with electrical cleaner. Do the turn signals stay lit or do they stay off?

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:03 AM   #4
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
Yep check the relay, its under your seat and on a braket to itself I believe on the left most side of the frame. You should try cleaning it first with electrical cleaner. Do the turn signals stay lit or do they stay off?
They stay off all the time. I will go take a look now, if it is under the seat i don't know how to recognize it, will look better this time

Still don't recognize it. Can someone mark the area I should be looking? Here is a photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seat.jpg (56.7 KB, 4 views)

Last futzed with by Domagoj; January 3rd, 2011 at 11:37 AM. Reason: added picture

Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:36 AM   #5
kkim

blinker relay is directly in the center of this photo w/ the white connector on the bottom.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:45 AM   #6
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post

blinker relay is directly in the center of this photo w/ the white connector on the bottom.
kkim, you are wonderful!
so many helpful posts, so many...

okay, so now I know where to find it. How should I check if it works? I will try to clean the contacts.
If I just bridge the wires on the relay connector, should the blinkers turn on and stay on or will something bad happen? What is the proper way of checking the relay?
I will try your suggestions tomorrow, its complete darkness outside now.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 12:52 PM   #7
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

try to short the connector after you remove the flasher..light should go on. If it does, flasher is toasted and need to buy new one...if it doesn't after you short it then something else is in the circuit is broken.
if flasher is bad, go to autoparts store and pick up one for about $5...if you want dealer then it'll be like $30.
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 3rd, 2011, 01:56 PM   #8
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Dang kelly you are quick lol, I was just about to snap a photo. yeah try cleaning it first (just in case since I had quite a few relays work fine again after some cleaning with electrical cleaner) then do what randomwalk says.

Old January 4th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #9
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

update:

The relay is fine, the switch is fine... What is not fine is some contact somewhere. I think it is the contact in the fuse box.

There is always current on orange wire but sometimes there is not on the brown one. Fuse is 100% ok, I switched some of them to be sure.

Anyway, I froze today testing this out in the open. Blinkers worked briefly when I sprayed WD generously over the contacts. When I put everything back in place they didn't work again I will wait for weekend and recheck everything when I get to a garage. It's too cold.

Thank you for your help!

Old January 7th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #10
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Problem seems to be solved.
Cleaned all contacts with contact cleaner, and they work now. Cleaned all other fuses just in case.

I guess it would be a good idea to check contacts occasionally, especially if the bike is out in the open at all times.

Old January 7th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #11
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domagoj View Post
Problem seems to be solved.
Cleaned all contacts with contact cleaner, and they work now. Cleaned all other fuses just in case.

I guess it would be a good idea to check contacts occasionally, especially if the bike is out in the open at all times.
Cool, better a near free fix then to buy relays

Old January 8th, 2011, 12:03 AM   #12
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Just to add to the post.

I had a problem a few months back with my left front turn blinker would'nt turn on. The rear would just stay lit up. Thought the bulb was blown, but it turned out to be fine. What had happen was I had taken off the fairings the day before and while I was disconnecting the blinkers to take off the fairings, I had pulled out a wire on the connector to the fairing. I just pushed the wire back into it and it was good to good.