Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Cargo Space

Notices

Old January 22nd, 2014, 01:28 AM   #1
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

Classic Accessories Motorcycle Saddle Bags *Review*

so @sharky nrk wanted a detailed review of the new saddle bags i got, so instead of it just being another post in a sea of posts here is a nice thread that way i can answer any questions people have.

ok so first things first, there are a few places you can order these saddle bags, i got mine from walmart.com for about 65$ shipped after taxes. The lowest price i have found anywhere, everywhere else has em starting around 85ish before shipping.

here is a link to them at walmart:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Classic-Ac...-Bags/10802875

here are a few pics of my pregen with the bags mounted, that way yall can see how they look and fit.

Mounting
After unboxing they took me about 15 mins to mount and adjust, very simple and very user friendly. there are two large velcro straps that connect the bags to one another over the seat. while on the pregen these straps have about 4 inches of extra but they dont seem to get in the way.

There are 4 other straps on each of the saddle bags that connect to one another, along with some nifty handles and 2 short straps for connecting the bags together and carrying them. these straps are very good quality and they are the same type of straps you see on milspec drop leg holsters. these straps also have a clip on each of them to tuck the loose bits in. I have two of these straps ran on the back of the ninja. one by the grab bar on top and one under the tail tucked behind the licence plate.

These prevent the bags from sliding forward.

The other two straps i have looped around the passenger peg mounts on each side and hooked to themselves since they where so close them anyways. this also gave me the ability to still carry passengers w/o removing the bags since the straps would normally lay over the seat.

these prevent the bags from sliding back.

Storage
These bags have 1 Main compartment per bag, these compartments are big enough to hold alot of things. They seal using double zippers linked by a handle and the zippers round down the back of the bags.

once zipped closed they both have large velcro pads that help keep them closed. they are also every useful for leaving the bags unzipped and just flopping them closed with the velcro, i would ride with them like that.

These main compartments are pretty generously sized, i have carried a couple of pounds of flour and a motorcycle battery all in just one bag. I have also fit a thick winter hoodie in one of them as well, here is a size comparison.

There are little zippered mesh pockets on the underside of each of these flaps, they are almost as long as the flap itself and seem to be a great place for paper work, money, and other flat objects.

There are some deep but skinny side pockets, one on each bag. they arnt really big enough to fit anything big and i havnt used them yet, but i can see that they will come in handy.

nice little fancy zipper

not deep enough to fit a game or dvd case up right

they are thick enough to fit about 3 of these stacked

The last set of pockets are located on the top of the bags and are as deep as the saddle bag itself. these pockets hold the [COLOR="rgb(0, 255, 255)"]Rain Guards[/COLOR], These Guards are waterproof and have a drawstring so that you can cover the entire bag and tighten them down, they are also attached to the interior of the pocket with an elastic band to kep them from blowing away.

The Rain Covers are super bright for extra visibility in heavy rain.

Other Features
The bags sit just right on the pregen even with my Muzzy that sits higher then the stock exhaust there is still tons of clearance so im never worried about the can burning my bags.

Hard Shell inserts came with the bags and have 3 long velcro strip points to keep them in place. these inserts do a great job of keeping the bags sturdy but also still flexible enough to squeeze past every night when your bike is in the garage.

Retro Reflective Silver can be seen on the bottom of these bags along with a stripe or two on the sides and back. great for me since i dont like to wear bright colors but still want to be seen at night and in low light situations.

High Speed is not a problem, i have had these bags up to 107mph on a very windy day and they are still with me. my brother says that they bounce around a little while im on the interstate but that is to be expected. i havnt once had to re adjust them or re tighten any straps on them.

Pros
  • price is insanely low for what they are
  • the size is enough without being too big
  • the features are well thought out and very functional
  • Straps are heavy duty and make me feel like the bags wont fly off
  • Colors look great and will match any bike
  • Hard Shell velcro inserts make the bags nice and sturdy
  • Retro Reflective Spots for high visibility

Cons
  • Covers the keyhole to my seat

Conclusion
I love these bags, my brother is going to order a pair soon as well as one of my fellow MSF Coaches. with the great price, good craftsmanship, awesome features, and good looks there shouldnt be a reason not to pick these up. so get out there and get you a pair, before they hike the prices up or stop making them!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old January 22nd, 2014, 02:22 AM   #2
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Great, thanks.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2014, 05:53 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

I love your review, Lupe !!!

Thank you very much.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2014, 06:38 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Nice!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2014, 08:37 AM   #5
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
nice writeup, definitely a solid set of tailbags for touring on a budget.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2014, 08:40 AM   #6
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Very detailed review! Nicely done!!

Those look like the correctly branded version of these : Paul jr Saddle bags

Luggage is one of the reasons I like the design of the pregen. With the newgens pointy tail, the bags just flop inward and have no support from the bike.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:28 AM   #7
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Good review! And dang, $65 out the door is a helluva deal!

I noticed your bike doesn't have a rear fender or the stock rear turn signals. Any opinion as to whether or not this bag set would fit a stock pre-gen? I'd buy 'em right now if I knew they'd fit a stock bike.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2014, 01:29 PM   #8
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Very detailed review! Nicely done!!

Those look like the correctly branded version of these : Paul jr Saddle bags

Luggage is one of the reasons I like the design of the pregen. With the newgens pointy tail, the bags just flop inward and have no support from the bike.
Yeah kinda bummed about the bag options on the new gen. Anyone have any good CHEAP solutions?
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2014, 06:20 PM   #9
Ish
ninjette.org member

Name: Ish

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001 KX125 2001

Looks like an Adventure bike

off topic, but what tires are you running?
Ish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2014, 08:20 PM   #10
iplante
I ride like a granny

Name: Isabelle

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250R - EX250F

Nice, I wish mine didn't say Paul Jr on them.

I'm thinking of buying patches of my favorite band to sow over the logo.

Old January 30th, 2014, 09:25 PM   #11
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Looks like an Adventure bike

off topic, but what tires are you running?
Kenda K671 Cruiser ST Motorcycle Tire front and back, 123$ shipped and i love them!

@dcj13 they wouldnt work too well with stock turn signals, but they would still fit.

@sharky nrk i think you could rig these bags up to work fine on any bike with a pointy tail. all i would do is punch two holes at the back inside of each bag toward the bottom of the tail with small grommets, then run a thin single bungee chord through all the holes and tie it to its self inside one of the bags. what this would do is stabilize the bottom of the bags and act as a bottom support.
@iplante sounds like a good idea, im wanting to put a patch or two on mine.

Old January 31st, 2014, 01:53 PM   #12
Ish
ninjette.org member

Name: Ish

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001 KX125 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oxSin View Post
Kenda K671 Cruiser ST Motorcycle Tire front and back, 123$ shipped and i love them!

@dcj13 they wouldnt work too well with stock turn signals, but they would still fit.

@sharky nrk i think you could rig these bags up to work fine on any bike with a pointy tail. all i would do is punch two holes at the back inside of each bag toward the bottom of the tail with small grommets, then run a thin single bungee chord through all the holes and tie it to its self inside one of the bags. what this would do is stabilize the bottom of the bags and act as a bottom support.
@iplante sounds like a good idea, im wanting to put a patch or two on mine.
Thanks for the tire info! Come pay day i'll order! my price for front and back is $138.00 at BikeBandit.com with free shipping
Ish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2014, 03:17 PM   #13
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Thanks for the tire info! Come pay day i'll order! my price for front and back is $138.00 at BikeBandit.com with free shipping
thats where i got mine, i looked around and found some coupons to get 5% or something like that off.

Old September 2nd, 2015, 08:14 PM   #14
anarchyx34
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 04 EX250

I know this thread is old but I'm researching luggage options for my new bike and was wondering this:

Can you still carry a passenger with these mounted?
anarchyx34 is offline   Reply With Quote