ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 19th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #1
Nfiniti
ninjette.org member

Name: Nfiniti =)

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Adjustable Front Fork?

I tried searching the forum and checked the owner's manual but could not find out if the front forks/shocks are adjustable or not. I was able to adjust the rear shocks but not the front.

Are the fronts adjustable? If so how?

Thanks! =]
Nfiniti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #2
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Other than changing parts, No.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #3
kkim

What is it that you want to change? They are adjustable... sort of, but not in the same, easy "turn a knob/screw" way that other modern sport bikes are.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #4
Nfiniti
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
What is it that you want to change? They are adjustable... sort of, but not in the same, easy "turn a knob/screw" way that other modern sport bikes are.
I adjusted the rear shocks to it's softer setting to account for my weight and would like to know if I can make the front softer also.

Ideally I'd like the bike a little lower without using a lowering kit or messing up the geometry of the stock bike.

Old November 19th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #5
Nfiniti
ninjette.org member

kkim,

If you can elaborate or point me towards a wiki or page that shows how to adjust them, I would appreciate it =]

Thanks!

Old November 19th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #6
kkim

That's odd... most people want to stiffen up the front end. What tire pressures do you run? sometimes that can make a world of difference in suspension "feel".

what is your weight?

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Front_suspension_upgrades

Old November 19th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #7
Nfiniti
ninjette.org member

Quote:
That's odd... most people want to stiffen up the front end. What tire pressures do you run? sometimes that can make a world of difference in suspension "feel".

what is your weight?

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Front_suspension_upgrades
<140, >130 =P I would like a stiffened suspension also but I may forgo it for a slightly lower seat. I'm not considering modifying/change the stock seat yet.

Old November 19th, 2009, 01:48 PM   #8
kkim

sounds to me like a lowering kit is your best answer. While it may limit cornering a bit and change the inherent handling built into the bike, the changes are small enough that one can adapt to them easily. Lower it just enough that will suit your needs. (1/2-1"??)

by doing so, you could lower your seat height and stiffen up the suspension. What's your riding/experience level?

Old November 19th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #9
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Normaly people will go to a higher weight fork oil to stiffen up the forks but I don't know if you can go any lower on the weight.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #10
Nfiniti
ninjette.org member

Quote:
sounds to me like a lowering kit is your best answer. While it may limit cornering a bit and change the inherent handling built into the bike, the changes are small enough that one can adapt to them easily. Lower it just enough that will suit your needs. (1/2-1"??)

by doing so, you could lower your seat height and stiffen up the suspension. What's your riding/experience level?
uber noob. When I'm sitting on my bike, if I press down on the seat and compress the rear shocks a little with my weight, then I can flat foot, otherwise my heel's about 1/2 in off the ground or so. Oh well =]

Old November 20th, 2009, 09:10 AM   #11
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
What are you wearing on your feet?

I suggest thicker soles (work boots) if you're not using them already.

If you are, just ride the bike for awhile and see if you get used to it before modding it.

Having your heels 1/2 inch of the ground is trivial once you've got a little bit of experience IMO. That's about where I'm at.

To me the biggest issue with not being able to get my feet all the way down is moving the bike around in driveways/parking lots. Getting way up on tiptoe makes this a huge PITA, especially if you have to deal with slight inclines (crowned roads, driveways like mine). At the height of the Ninjette I don't have a problem even though I can't get both heels down at once. With the 32"+ seats on bikes like the R6, though, it's just not worth the hassle.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #12
Nfiniti
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
What are you wearing on your feet?

I suggest thicker soles (work boots) if you're not using them already.

If you are, just ride the bike for awhile and see if you get used to it before modding it.

Having your heels 1/2 inch of the ground is trivial once you've got a little bit of experience IMO. That's about where I'm at.

To me the biggest issue with not being able to get my feet all the way down is moving the bike around in driveways/parking lots. Getting way up on tiptoe makes this a huge PITA, especially if you have to deal with slight inclines (crowned roads, driveways like mine). At the height of the Ninjette I don't have a problem even though I can't get both heels down at once. With the 32"+ seats on bikes like the R6, though, it's just not worth the hassle.
I wear motorcycle boots. Yea! that's why I want to fully flatfoot. I have to back up the back every time I park it at home =/ I mean I can do it, but it takes more effort than I would like =]

Old November 20th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #13
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfiniti View Post
uber noob. When I'm sitting on my bike, if I press down on the seat and compress the rear shocks a little with my weight, then I can flat foot, otherwise my heel's about 1/2 in off the ground or so. Oh well =]
If you are a beginning rider, that tells me you won't be pushing the bike to it's limits quite yet, so the cornering clearance and handling changes that lowering brings should not be a hindrance/problem. Once you gain more experience, remove the lowering kit once you gain the confidence and skills to handle a stock height bike.

Old November 20th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #14
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Remembers when air forks and shocks were the rage on dirtbikes, and then later dirt bikes used shrader valves to bleed off air that accumulated as the forks heated up. Now snowmobiles are adding air shocks.

Bet all the kids who wear Fox sweatshirts at the mall didn't know it all started with the Fox Air Shox. Further bet they wouldn't care anyway. Who thought their logo would be such a valuable thing.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #15
kkim

I liked those schrader valves on the forks. I would use them to bleed out the excess air pressure in the forks after riding for awhile. the forks would get harsh due to the pressurized heated air.

Old November 20th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #16
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
I liked those schrader valves on the forks. I would use them to bleed out the excess air pressure in the forks after riding for awhile. the forks would get harsh due to the pressurized heated air.
yeah and just a few years earlier we were adding air to stiffen the ride, rather than a stiffer spring. kind of surprised me when i saw the snowmobiles coming out with air suspension recently.

Old November 20th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #17
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

You can convert them to adjustable. There are aftermarket end caps that allow some adjustability. But you'd have to switch to clipons because the caps wont work with the stock bars.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #18
backinthesaddleagain

Thanks Bryan for bringing post back to original. I got carried away reminiscing and hijacked the post.