Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old September 10th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #1
meeshee
Dude, Where's My Car?

Name: Michelle

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R "Passion Red"

Talking Having a Blast!

So...I have been out riding now...3 times I think. 2 of those 3 times took up most of the day. I have been having a blast....other than my BF trying to kill me. lol JK. Still haven't rode by myself...just with him. Him on his bike and me on mine. One of these days...hopefully before Winter...I will ride to work. (fingers crossed) My confidence isn't quite there yet....but is getting close. Really wish there were more riders around us tho...in our town...that weren't douches! haha. Oh well....so...here's a question for the chicks with bikes....(and the feminine guys)....are you more comfortable riding by yourself or with your significant other....and if you ride with your guy....does he lead or do you?

Old September 10th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeshee View Post
B]here's a question for the chicks with bikes....(and the feminine guys)....are you more comfortable riding by yourself or with your significant other....and if you ride with your guy....does he lead or do you[/B]?
I only ride with other feminine guys and I guess I lead since they are on the passenger seat. You have silly questions.

Old September 10th, 2010, 05:40 PM   #3
WindMeUp
Small Bike Abuser

Name: Stevo

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE, GSX650FK8, DL650K5, CH80K2, AN400K7, SH150i

Quote:
(and the feminine guys)
HEY...just because I own a scooter, it doesn't mean I ride it in parades!

I couldn't resist, Lolz!

Old September 10th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #4
rceezy
Lean Me

Name: RC

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

I've never ridden alone. I always have someone with me whether it be my boyfriend or his mom/dad. I'm leery on riding my bike alone just in case something were to happen to me. I also never ride my bike during rush hour (to/from work) because of the lack of attention cagers pay to bikers. I suggest taking your bike on short trips (my first ride was 30 miles, lol) until you gain the confidence you're looking for. Relax and have fun. You only get better with practice and seat time!

My boyfriend usually leads when we're together but I try leading on the way back so he can tell me what I need to work on form wise. I am guilty of always being so stiff in my arms so I have been working on relaxing my arms and putting my weight on my legs.

Anyway - everyone is different! Have you taken a motorcycle safety course?
rceezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #5
meeshee
Dude, Where's My Car?

Name: Michelle

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R "Passion Red"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rceezy View Post

Anyway - everyone is different! Have you taken a motorcycle safety course?
Yea...I took the class and all. I just was curious as to other girls that ride....how they feel about it. I like when my BF leads....lets me know he's there and I feel more comfortable. IDK.

Old September 11th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #6
rceezy
Lean Me

Name: RC

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Nothing wrong with that. I am one of those poor souls that could get lost in a paper bag so I like when someone else leads too!
rceezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #7
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I'm so glad you're still enjoying it...ya get as much practice in before the nasty weather starts. There is no way in hell i would ride when the ground is wet...

I've rode alone ONCE and faced many challenges, including dropping my bike. Since I was alone, picking up the bike was a freaking nightmare. Since then i've never rode alone, but will be doing so when I'm waaaaay more comfortable. just take your time and don't rush. When i ride with my bf I always lead, mainly because he sucks in giving me notice of when he's turning and all that stuff....plus he keeps the cars off my a$$. But sometimes, he'll speed the way up and wants me to catch up to him so I can learn to manuver the bike from lane to lane.

Old September 11th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #8
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Yea...I took the class and all. I just was curious as to other girls that ride....how they feel about it. I like when my BF leads....lets me know he's there and I feel more comfortable. IDK.
You might want to sally forth on your own and take a cell phone with you just in case...I would bet a lot of money that it will be a non-event that bolsters your ego a great deal. MC riding is not Rocket Science--it is 99% common sense. Relax and enjoy. That's what it is all about. Don't dwell on the horror stories that you hear--they are usually exaggerated and are meaningless. Concentrate on your riding and your enjoyment. Flick the machine around and feel the motion. Appreciate the acelleration and the braking. Don't let others detract from your fun--chances are that they are envious because to be part of the crowd, they have 600's, literbikes etc. Who cares? Is a person with a literbike having four times as much fun as you are? I don't think so. You made an excellent choice when you chose a Ninjette. I know expert racers who will go on record to say that the Ninjette is probably one of the most significant machines built. You will have to ride a lot of years and a lot of miles to outgrow a Ninjette. Trust me, I know--been riding since 1958 and have owned many bikes from 1000cc down. The Ninja 250 is by far the best and the most enjoyable bike I have ever owned.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 06:05 PM   #9
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Alex- wondering you posted this in the wrong thread?

Old September 11th, 2010, 06:38 PM   #10
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
No, I don't think so. As I said, we are not talking Rocket Science. Women can do just as well if not better than men when it comes to riding. There are no limits here. I guess, one has to feel confident in what they do regardless how the herd feels. Conformity really stifles individuality and creativity.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #11
DAKINECHICk
-

Name: Liz

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Suzuki GSXr 750

I love riding with my guy, but I also have SO much fun riding by myself in which I can go my own pace and try out new things. But, when we do ride together which I'd say is 40% of the time, we go back and forth of who leads. We just have fun with it as you should too. Enjoy riding with your guy but go out by yourself and tear it up girl!!
I've been riding for a few years though, so your fear (as a new rider) is understandable of riding alone.

Old September 11th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #12
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

I've started riding on my own pretty regularly. Ryan tends to work most weekends so I'll ride out to his work so we can have lunch together. I also ride to work daily on my own. When we do go out on rides together, and he lets me lead. He doesn't like other cars tailgating me so that way he feels like he's protecting me from jerks. It also keeps him from riding too fast and let's me set the pace to where I'm comfortable. The only time he leads is if we are going somewhere new since I'm sometimes pretty bad at memorizing directions.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #13
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

In 16,000 miles, I've actually never ridden with anyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
Seems spot on to me.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 07:12 PM   #14
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

I've always ridden alone I did when I was first learning, I commute alone, I go to the track alone, and I go on trips alone. Partially because none of my close friends who ride consider it anything more than a means of transportation that makes them look cool, but really just because I enjoy the solitude and independence of stopping whenever I want, setting the pace based solely on MY mood, and just not following or leading. I ride a single seater vehicle for a reason, and I find I'm less likely to screw up when there's no one I want/need to impress (I crashed on the only group ride I ever opted to go on partially due to that dumb, self conscious fear of slowing people down). Group rides are fun and all when you get off the bike, but truth be told, while I'm on it I'd rather it just be me. Although I also refuse to ever ride bitch (Never have, never will) and I prefer driving alone as well.

That said, in the few times I've gotten myself in a bind, I've always had the luck of coming across friendly strangers at just the right moment. It's kind of fun in a weird way to meet random people on the road for 5 minutes or so
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone View Post
It's kind of fun in a weird way to meet random people on the road for 5 minutes or so
Hey, how you doin'...

Link to original page on YouTube.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #16
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Haha, fortunately (Or perhaps unfortunately ) I've also yet to come across any weirdos and creepers in my awkward, lost, and confused travels
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote