Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 5th, 2011, 09:07 AM   #41
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by phr3ek View Post
imho its harder to use front brake on a hill since you have to roll on the throttle and release the brake at the same time, especially for a new rider
it's just easier to have left hand focused on clutch, right hand focused on throttle ALONE, and right foot focused on break release
and keep in mind OP's stature,since she's short she might have small hands
i have small hands (short fingers) and find it hard to juggle throttle roll and break release
For a new rider maybe but with some practice, it'll be ok. Unless you live in an area where every stoplight is a hill (Stupid SF), you can ease into the throttle/frontbrake control. I have the opposite height issue (6ft) but I dont really like the use of the rear brakes on hills. I much prefer the 2 finger brake + throttle blip and that came pretty quick with some practice. For short fingers, getting some adjustable levers would probably help with that.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #42
mcnuggett
ninjette.org member

Name: kristy

Motorcycle(s): 2011 black 250r

This is great! I will definitely be looking into all of these ideas. I'm so glad I asked because I never would have thought of some of this stuff. Thank you all for the ideas and encouragement!
mcnuggett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #43
Jules91
NinJulie

Name: Julie

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

I think you'll do just fine While I'm a little taller than you, I'm only 5'2", 110 lbs and I have no problems holding it up. I can get about half of each foot on the ground at the same time or one flat foot with the other on the peg. The bike feels really light to me - I can shift it from side to side with no problems. The only thing I ever have an issue with is backing up. I really have to pay attention to how level the ground is when I'm parking. If the space has an incline, I pull in forward so I can back out. If it slopes down, even the tiniest bit, I have to back into it so I can pull out forward. I'm hopeless at backing up inclines. I have a set of lowering links that I didn't end up needing, if you're interested.

P.S. the MSF course is a ton of fun! It's basically like summer camp, but for adults!
Jules91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #44
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules91 View Post
The only thing I ever have an issue with is backing up. I really have to pay attention to how level the ground is when I'm parking. If the space has an incline, I pull in forward so I can back out. If it slopes down, even the tiniest bit, I have to back into it so I can pull out forward. I'm hopeless at backing up inclines.
Do you try to back up while sitting on the bike?

If so, try dismounting and stand to the left of the bike with your left hand on the left handlebar grip and your right hand on the back of the seat. Pivot your body so that you're facing backwards (so your right hand, on the seat, is in front). Walk forwards, pushing the bike backwards with your right hand on the seat and steering with your left hand.

It's super easy once you've done it a few times and makes backing up a breeze out of any parking spot!

Old May 5th, 2011, 10:38 PM   #45
kkim

I fully agree with getting off the bike to back up, especially for smaller riders. I always keep 2 hands on the bars and walk backwards, though. I want to be able to control the speed of the bike using the front brake with my right hand.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #46
Ichiro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ichiro

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r(sold). 2013 Kymco Super8 150

Completely agree with Kkim. Having the right hand on the front brake is essential for control.
Ichiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2011, 08:23 AM   #47
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I always keep 2 hands on the bars and walk backwards, though. I want to be able to control the speed of the bike using the front brake with my right hand.
I find it way more comfortable the other way (guess that's why there are multiple ways of doing things in the world! ). If I have both hands on the bars and then try to twist around to walk the bike backwards, I'm pulling/twisting instead of pushing. Maybe it's easier for guys with more upper body strength, but I really like being able to just push with my hip/hand on the seat.

FWIW, I've been moving the bike like that since I got my license in 1999, over dirt/inclines/declines/etc and I can't remember a single time that I wished I'd had a hand on the front brake.

Old May 6th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #48
kkim

Whatever works for you, Carolyn. Just don't be surprised when one of these days you need to stop the bike from rolling, for some reason, and you're not in any position to control either the front or rear brake.

believe me, it has nothing to do with upper body strength, as I have none.

fwiw, if it matters, I've been moving/loading/backing up bikes since 1968 and I've always done it with 2 hands on the bars, so I you are right when you say there are multiple ways of doing things in the world.

Old May 6th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #49
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Whatever works for you, Carolyn. Just don't be surprised when one of these days you need to stop the bike from rolling, for some reason, and you're not in any position to control either the front or rear brake.
Oh, I've definitely been in the situation where I need to stop the bike from rolling. I just set the bike on the sidestand (which I keep down while moving the bike around) and can then either grab the other bar or restart pushing on the seat.

Old May 6th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #50
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
Oh, I've definitely been in the situation where I need to stop the bike from rolling. I just set the bike on the sidestand (which I keep down while moving the bike around) and can then either grab the other bar or restart pushing on the seat.
for me, that's a disaster waiting to happen, but like I said, whatever works for you.

Old May 6th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #51
Ichiro
ninjette.org member

Instead of backing it up, how about spinning it around? The first person I saw do this was a small woman and I was impressed. It's not difficult once you get the balance point, but I worry about the strain on the sidestand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWWnf0niufk

Old May 6th, 2011, 02:13 PM   #52
kkim

for me, sometimes there's just no room to turn it around and the only way to move it is to back it up.

and I would never spin a bike on it's kickstand. I've seen kick stands fail just by bikes being propped up by them. I wouldn't trust having all of a bike's weight on that one single point.

Old May 6th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #53
Ichiro
ninjette.org member

Thanks Kelly. I totally trust your judgment on this one. It never really seemed like a good idea, but it sure looks cool.

Old May 6th, 2011, 02:37 PM   #54
kkim

I've seen a lot of people do it (on youtube), but I've never heard of one instance of a side stand failure, but then, all it takes is once. I don't know about our ninjas, but on other bikes, I have seen warnings from manufactures that tell you not to even sit on the bike with the side stand down as it wasn't designed to support that much weight.

can you imagine what would happen if you have the bike up on only that stand and it decides to fail? the bike will come crashing down on top of you.

kristy... my apologies for taking your thread so way off topic. I'll shut up now.

Old May 6th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #55
Hitman
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r Special Edition (Red/Black) / 2008 Suzuki GSXR 600 (Silver/White) / Ducati Diavel Carbon Red

I'm 5' 1". I ride a Ninja 250 and a GSXR 600.
Both are lowered. I can stand up and flatfoot on my Ninja so I think you can ride it lowered just fine.

Also got Corbin seats on both. They help lower the seat height too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0609.jpg (133.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0651.jpg (122.3 KB, 6 views)

Old May 8th, 2011, 10:05 AM   #56
mcnuggett
ninjette.org member

it's my last day of the msf and so far the instructor has turned a bike around in the kick stand twice

Old May 8th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #57
scotty

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnuggett View Post
it's my last day of the msf and so far the instructor has turned a bike around in the kick stand twice
Sweet!

Old May 20th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #58
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

How did things go?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #59
mcnuggett
ninjette.org member

GREAT! but now i'm still trying to find a bike
seems like everybody wants a ninja right now

Old May 26th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #60
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnuggett View Post
Hi, I'm new to the site and I have a question.

I'm about to buy my first bike and I'm really excited! The thing is I'm really small, 4'11" and 97 lb.

I'm looking at an '09 250, it's pretty much my dream bike but I'm afraid it will be too big. I've seen other posts about lowering but I haven't come across anything about someone quite as small as me.

I was wondering if anyone could give me an opinion on whether I'll be able to ride and what I could potentially do to make it more comfortable. Are there any other tiny riders out there with advise?
Once again, stop asking about am I too short...

http://motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2576

Read this, then make assumptions
blink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #61
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
Once again, stop asking about am I too short...

http://motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2576

Read this, then make assumptions
That's a good post that does challenge a lot of assumptions, but I'm unclear what it has to do with this topic. The other post is about challenging the assumptions of people who think that they "have to" start on a 600cc sportsbike, but has nothing to do with the concern of new riders who also happen to be vertically challenged. What am I missing?

Old May 26th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #62
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
That's a good post that does challenge a lot of assumptions, but I'm unclear what it has to do with this topic. The other post is about challenging the assumptions of people who think that they "have to" start on a 600cc sportsbike, but has nothing to do with the concern of new riders who also happen to be vertically challenged. What am I missing?
It looks like he's spamming that link to most threads without actually reading any of them. Good link, but wrong approach.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2011, 12:26 PM   #63
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): '09 Metallic Diablo Black

I'm 5'2" with a 29" inseam and ride the Ninja un-lowered. I wear boots that have a little bit of a platform, which helps get more of my foot (ie. not just the toes) on the ground. With lowering, you should not have a problem riding it at all.

I tried the Daytona Ladystar boots and found them super stiff and awkward to get under the shifter, but your mileage may vary... Always worth a look.

I have to say that as a small person, my problem is not with riding or stopping on the Ninja. It's moving it around!! I can't duckwalk to save my life, nor do I feel comfortable pushing/pulling it around while I'm standing beside it because I find it so heavy. It feels awkward when its weight is not centered (as it would be if I were sitting on it duckwalking).
Talonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2011, 12:52 PM   #64
kirillz
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Kirill

Motorcycle(s): omggggg cant wait for mahh ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
I'm 5' 1". I ride a Ninja 250 and a GSXR 600.
Both are lowered. I can stand up and flatfoot on my Ninja so I think you can ride it lowered just fine.

Also got Corbin seats on both. They help lower the seat height too.
totally offtopic but DAMN those two bikes look sexy. the ninja is beautiful. how far is it lowered?
kirillz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2011, 01:05 PM   #65
Ichiro
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonne View Post
...I have to say that as a small person, my problem is not with riding or stopping on the Ninja. It's moving it around!! I can't duckwalk to save my life, nor do I feel comfortable pushing/pulling it around while I'm standing beside it because I find it so heavy. It feels awkward when its weight is not centered (as it would be if I were sitting on it duckwalking).
You can reduce some of the apparent weight of the bike by leaning the seat against your right hip as you stand beside it to move it with both hands on the bars. This allows you to use your body weight and legs to counteract the weight of the bike. Your body and legs prevent it from falling towards you and since it is leaned into you, it won't fall away from you.

Old May 31st, 2011, 04:49 PM   #66
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

One thing to consider when you are tiptoeing a bike on flat ground is that on steep grades or inclines, the distance between the ground and your feet/toes can increase by a few inches easily. If for some reason you have to stop your bike on an steep incline and go to put your toes down, you may all of sudden find that the ground is not as close as you thought it was and you could be in trouble. Many entrances to parking lots around here have a good incline to them. Just something to be mindful of for us new riders.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 01:37 AM   #67
wtfh4xx
Opinionated individual :)

Name: SecretNinjaMan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninjette Special Edition (red/black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldenso View Post
It's gonna fly with you on it...
This ^
Yoshi slip on, shimmed 2 washers, zip tie throttle mod, pre-load #2, snorkel delete
2010 SE 250R!
Miles in the saddle: 1000
wtfh4xx is offline   Reply With Quote