ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old June 9th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #1
Jim Moore
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninjette, 98 CBR600, 98 VFR800, 2000 BMW R1100RS, Kymco Movie 150

Fuel Tank Question

Folks,

I lifted the seat off my new-to-me 98 Ninja 250 this evening. I noticed three metal drain tubes at the rear of the gas tank. The left and right tubes have rubber hoses atached. The center tube (actually somewhat left of center) does not. Where does that center tube come from? is there supposed to be a hose attached?

Thanks,

Old June 9th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Avenged7Fold
Ninjette Noob

Name: Trent

Motorcycle(s): 2004 YZF-600r ---- 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Folks,

I lifted the seat off my new-to-me 98 Ninja 250 this evening. I noticed three metal drain tubes at the rear of the gas tank. The left and right tubes have rubber hoses atached. The center tube (actually somewhat left of center) does not. Where does that center tube come from? is there supposed to be a hose attached?

Thanks,
If im correct it's the overflow tank, else its for some sort of gas pressure release. Might be totally wrong, but i read it somewhere so maybe just google? The right tube on my bike has no tube attached.

Two go to the petlock for regular and reserve, the missing is for overflow from the inlet in the hole you fill the gas tank with. It has a little hole that takes overflown gas or water from rain/washing, keeping the hole from filling with water and going into the tank when filling.

Old June 9th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #3
Stingray1000
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenged7Fold View Post
If im correct it's the overflow tank, else its for some sort of gas pressure release. Might be totally wrong, but i read it somewhere so maybe just google? The right tube on my bike has no tube attached.

One should go to your petlock, one should go down in the bike connected to nothing for overflow, and the last idk
I dont think this is true... I believe both tubes go to the petcock, one for on and one for reserve. I think the third tube is either a drain or for ventilation of some kind.
Stingray1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #4
Avenged7Fold
Ninjette Noob

Name: Trent

Motorcycle(s): 2004 YZF-600r ---- 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray1000 View Post
I dont think this is true... I believe both tubes go to the petcock, one for on and one for reserve. I think the third tube is either a drain or for ventilation of some kind.
I looked it up, just so I know in the future. Apparently where you fill the gas tank, there is a little hole that drains water that may be sitting in that inlet. This little hole drains the water from rain or gas if you happen to overflow the tank. It's called an overflow tube, and drains to that missing tube you were talking about.. The other two should connect to the petlock, one for reserve and one for regular gas, as Jon said.

Old June 10th, 2012, 02:45 AM   #5
Jim Moore
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninjette, 98 CBR600, 98 VFR800, 2000 BMW R1100RS, Kymco Movie 150

Thanks guys. I assume there is supposed to be a rubber tube on it? Where does the rubber tube go to?

Old June 10th, 2012, 05:58 AM   #6
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

One hose is for the filler cap recess drain, one hose is the gas tank vent to the charcoal cannister for fuel vapor capture and the third hose is for the liquid fuel return that's pumped from the sump in the cannister.

The petcock gets fuel directly from the tank where it is bolted on.

http://forums.ninja250.org/posting.p...&t=10474&tro=1
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2012, 06:25 AM   #7
Jim Moore
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
One hose is for the filler cap recess drain, one hose is the gas tank vent to the charcoal cannister for fuel vapor capture and the third hose is for the liquid fuel return that's pumped from the sump in the cannister.

The petcock gets fuel directly from the tank where it is bolted on.

http://forums.ninja250.org/posting.p...&t=10474&tro=1
Sorry, I'm just getting back to this. OK, so if I don't have a canister the middle drain tube just sits open? Should it be plugged with something, or have a hose routed to the ground?

Old June 13th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #8
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

The drain tube is always open, connected to a tube that routes drainage down below everything. My drain tube hangs down about 3" below the bottom of the bike. If the evap system is missing then you can run a drain hose from the tube that connects to the filler cap vent, identify which is which by pouring a little liquid down the tube end located in the filler cap area, it's the one with a gasket to mate with a nipple on the filler cap itself. The other one you can cap.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
The drain tube is always open, connected to a tube that routes drainage down below everything. My drain tube hangs down about 3" below the bottom of the bike. If the evap system is missing then you can run a drain hose from the tube that connects to the filler cap vent, identify which is which by pouring a little liquid down the tube end located in the filler cap area, it's the one with a gasket to mate with a nipple on the filler cap itself. The other one you can cap.
just plug the evap and return lines and get rid of the charcoal filter and vacuum sump. you don't need a routed drain line if you dont spill anything up there. if you are going to spill, have a drain routed so you dont drip gas on your frame and engine.