Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Notices

Old April 3rd, 2011, 11:35 PM   #1
aldenso
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): Red 2010 250r

Quick pre-bed report

So I rode to my girlfriend's place yesterday taking the side roads/country roads. There are some twisties but it's fairly straight and boring, just a nice change from the hwy.

The ride started off fairly nice, the weather was about 10 degrees and it was sunny. I just wore my jacket with the liner and a tshirt underneath (and brought a sweater in my backpack along with my shoes and whatever else I brought to her place). Eventually it cooled off so I pulled over and put on my sweater.

Because it was fairly busy, when I approached a turn I'd slow right down a ways before it, then accelerate hard at it so I could feel what it's like to take corners quickly , which was tons of fun. There was one EXTRA sketchy corner, where I came in to too fast, then I noticed there was some sand/dirt on the road and I thought "here we go". I started turning while braking pretty hard(front brake mostly, bad idea?) and actually took a foot off (my moto skills kicked in) and I'm sure I looked like a dumbass. I did manage to complete the turn. I continued to go hard at corners trying to hang off the bike as much as possible, and feel I did quite well for just starting riding a street bike a few days ago. I did decide that I need to slow it down a bit, as I am feeling too comfortable already.

I also started testing extra hard braking, and locked up my back wheel a few times. I had no issue with this, as I'm used to it from dirt bikes, and was quite comfortable with it. I then went to a slightly dirty part of the road and accelerated hard, to try to see what it feels like so I know the feeling.

Finally, without trying, I was down shifting and I locked up the back wheel coming to a red light, and again, I felt fine with it. After every lock up I looked back to spot some rubber, but I didn't see any .

The only thing which I am assuming I will experience soon is a loose rear wheel in a corner, but I'm going to do my best to avoid that.

Overall it was a ton of fun, and I'm pissed that it snowed tonight and I wont be able to ride for a few days because of snow and rain in the forecast!
aldenso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #2
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldenso View Post
So I rode to my girlfriend's place yesterday taking the side roads/country roads. There are some twisties but it's fairly straight and boring, just a nice change from the hwy.

The ride started off fairly nice, the weather was about 10 degrees and it was sunny. I just wore my jacket with the liner and a tshirt underneath (and brought a sweater in my backpack along with my shoes and whatever else I brought to her place). Eventually it cooled off so I pulled over and put on my sweater.

Because it was fairly busy, when I approached a turn I'd slow right down a ways before it, then accelerate hard at it so I could feel what it's like to take corners quickly , which was tons of fun. There was one EXTRA sketchy corner, where I came in to too fast, then I noticed there was some sand/dirt on the road and I thought "here we go". I started turning while braking pretty hard(front brake mostly, bad idea?) and actually took a foot off (my moto skills kicked in) and I'm sure I looked like a dumbass. I did manage to complete the turn. I continued to go hard at corners trying to hang off the bike as much as possible, and feel I did quite well for just starting riding a street bike a few days ago. I did decide that I need to slow it down a bit, as I am feeling too comfortable already.

I also started testing extra hard braking, and locked up my back wheel a few times. I had no issue with this, as I'm used to it from dirt bikes, and was quite comfortable with it. I then went to a slightly dirty part of the road and accelerated hard, to try to see what it feels like so I know the feeling.

Finally, without trying, I was down shifting and I locked up the back wheel coming to a red light, and again, I felt fine with it. After every lock up I looked back to spot some rubber, but I didn't see any .

The only thing which I am assuming I will experience soon is a loose rear wheel in a corner, but I'm going to do my best to avoid that.

Overall it was a ton of fun, and I'm pissed that it snowed tonight and I wont be able to ride for a few days because of snow and rain in the forecast!
be sure to post in this thread in a few weeks... if that long. these are not dirt bikes. Just one crash can have a $ignificant impact on your wallet and health. with such a heavy hand (and feet) coupled with a lack of experience, it's just a matter of time. sleep tight.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25913
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 04:15 AM   #3
RedCromwell
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250

Quote:
I started turning while braking pretty hard(front brake mostly, bad idea?)
Very dangerous move. Don't touch the brakes while making a turn. Sure way to low side.

Have you taken a Motorcycle Safety Course yet? (I'm sure, you'll hear this a lot.)

Experienced riders have told me that the course help break them of bad habits.
RedCromwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 04:35 AM   #4
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:

Because it was fairly busy, when I approached a turn I'd slow right down a ways before it, then accelerate hard at it so I could feel what it's like to take corners quickly , which was tons of fun. There was one EXTRA sketchy corner, where I came in to too fast, then I noticed there was some sand/dirt on the road and I thought "here we go". I started turning while braking pretty hard(front brake mostly, bad idea? ****YES****) and actually took a foot off (my moto skills kicked in) and I'm sure I looked like a dumbass. I did manage to complete the turn. I continued to go hard at corners trying to hang off the bike as much as possible, and feel I did quite well for just starting riding a street bike a few days ago. I did decide that I need to slow it down a bit, as I am feeling too comfortable already.

There ... highlighted all the wrong in this story. Learn to ride before you cause someone to possibly lose a loved one. I do hope your telling fairy tales before you go to bed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCromwell View Post
Very dangerous move. Don't touch the brakes while making a turn. Sure way to low side.

Have you taken a Motorcycle Safety Course yet? (I'm sure, you'll hear this a lot.)

Experienced riders have told me that the course help break them of bad habits.
They are required to take it in Canadia ... if they did they didn't learn anything.

Old April 4th, 2011, 08:09 AM   #5
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Quote:
Because it was fairly busy, when I approached a turn I'd slow right down a ways before it, then accelerate hard at it so I could feel what it's like to take corners quickly , which was tons of fun.
There is a rule. "slow in, fast out". This doesnt mean slam on the brakes, and then hammer it. Everything you do on a motorcycle should be smooth, and precise. The correct method is to gradually slow as you approach the corner, letting off the brakes as you begin your turn in, as you approach the apex, you smoothly roll on the throttle exiting under power. This method makes sure you dont enter the curve too fast, makes sure that you dont lock up a tire with the brakes, allows you to time your turn in precisely, allows you the best lane position at apex, and transfers weight properly through the turn, and the exit.

Quote:
There was one EXTRA sketchy corner, where I came in to too fast, then I noticed there was some sand/dirt on the road and I thought "here we go". I started turning while braking pretty hard(front brake mostly, bad idea?) and actually took a foot off (my moto skills kicked in) and I'm sure I looked like a dumbass. I did manage to complete the turn.
Dont brake in the corner. There is a technique called trail braking, but its far too advanced a topic for someone with only a few days of road time. Braking in the corner will have the result of standing the bike up...which is bad when you need to turn tighter. If you come in too hot, lean further. Unless you are scraping pegs, you can still lean further. This aint dirt, and you should leave that dirt crap where it belongs....off the road.

Quote:
I continued to go hard at corners trying to hang off the bike as much as possible, and feel I did quite well for just starting riding a street bike a few days ago. I did decide that I need to slow it down a bit, as I am feeling too comfortable already.
You only have a few days riding a street bike, you should not be "hanging off " of anything. You need to be spending your time learning smooth throttle, shifting, clutch, and braking.

Quote:
AGAIN...this aint dirt.

Quote:
Remember what I said about you should be learning smooth throttle, shifting, clutch, and braking....THIS IS WHY. If you mistakenly locked up the rear on a downshift...you need more practice. For one, you probably wore a flat spot in the rear tire. Do you know what happens when you are in a tight corner, and you hit that flat spot in the tire? It will chatter like a unbalanced washing machine....or worse. Or do you know what happens if you "without trying" downshift and lock it up while leaned over in a corner...you will be eating asphalt..quickly.

Quote:
This statement doesnt even make sense, because everything you've done above is ENCOURAGING this to happen to you...not avoiding it. You do know what happens when you lose a rear wheel on asphalt right? One of two things.... either you lowside and slide down the road on your arse, watching as the road grinds the fairings off your bike....OR....you highside when the rear regains traction, and it tosses you 10 ft up in the air slamming you down on the asphalt head first.

I dont want to be so harsh since you are a beginner, and you cant possibly know everything yet. You are currently headed for some major trouble if you dont turn it down a notch. Forget that dirt riding stuff...it only applies on dirt. Asphalt behaves differently, and using those types of riding on the road will get you hurt. Spend your beginning days learning smooth control of the bike. The motoGP type riding is best left until you have considerably more experience. Dont rush it....if you do, it will bite you. Bite you HARD.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 08:43 AM   #6
aldenso
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): Red 2010 250r

Thanks everyone for your input. I don't take offense to anything anyone said. I wholly agree with all of you. I absolutely have been taking this learning experience way too lightly and need to slow it down. I have already found myself in way too many compromising situations and I think you guys helped me find that out.

The next time I ride I will be taking it much easier, and will do so for the next while.

I have not taken the course but will be taking it quite soon.
aldenso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #7
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

Go team!
Posted via Mobile Device
oroboros is offline   Reply With Quote