ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old December 8th, 2013, 12:59 AM   #1
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R, 1998 Ducati 748L #77/100

College kid with no friends

Well...My first semester of college was not what I anticipated. My awkward personality and lack of social skills culminated a very dull 4 months. I've made all A's but the grass definitely seems greener if you have people to celebrate it with. I think one of my acquaintances felt sorry for me and invited me out to a pub owned by a fraternity and I actually had a really good time. I only talked to the people I was introduced to though as I am not good at making friends out of strangers. I seemed content with my lonely life before but it seems so nice to be in a lifestyle partying with others.

Moral of the story: Are most of you all on this form keen to making friends, or are you like me and very well at keeping to yourself?
Floki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floki View Post
Well...My first semester of college was not what I anticipated. My awkward personality and lack of social skills culminated a very dull 4 months. I've made all A's but the grass definitely seems greener by the ounce. I think one of my acquaintances felt sorry for me and invited me out to a pub owned by a fraternity and I actually had a really good time. I only talked to the people I was introduced to though as I am not good at making friends out of strangers. I seemed content with my lonely life before but it seems so nice to be in a lifestyle partying with others.

Moral of the story: Are most of you all on this form keen to making friends, or are you like me and very well at keeping to yourself?
First of all, did you get an A in English?

Second, humans are social beings. Get some friends (even if they are nerds like you) or you mgiht get even weirder.

Join some clubs. Go out for the football team. Host a drinking party. Run naked through the cafeteria. ASK A GIRL OUT. You might like it.

Old December 8th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #3
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Moral of the story:
a lesson, esp. one concerning what is right or prudent, that can be derived from a story, a piece of information, or an experience.
"the moral of this story was that one must see the beauty in what one has"

My Question is:

Join the chess club or a intramural sport like floor hockey, or just go to the Pub alone and meet new people.
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2013, 10:02 AM   #4
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Run naked through the cafeteria.
+1

But really, you just have to be a fun guy to be around. College can be stressful, no one wants to befriend someone who is content with being lonely or feels sorry for their situation. Have confidence and initiate conversation; make people laugh.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2013, 12:17 PM   #5
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

What are you into?
Gym - do a regular group exercise class, once you've shown up a few times you'll start recognising faces, say hi. (bonus is the girls who do group classes can be very well toned, just don't perv too much)

Get a few beers in for your house/room mates & get to know them, usually a good way to start.

Watching sports - Wear the team jersey if there's a game on & watch it in the pub, you'll always end up randomly talking to a group of fans after a couple of pints.

Go to a regular rideout & get talking to the other bikers.

Join one of the clubs/societies

Just spotted the "Motorcycle Nurse?" tag on your profile, if you're doing nursing, not going on the beer regularly, and are uncomfortable around people then you may be heading for the wrong profession.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2013, 12:22 PM   #6
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

It's no secret to some local forum people that I hate 99% percent of people I meet. I guess mine is more by choice than being socially uncomfortable. But in any case, learn to be happy with yourself. If you don't depend on anyone to be happy, you'll be a stronger person. After that, 4-5 really good friends is all one needs. 50 retards you meet and party with won't be there when you are in real need anyway.

Start by not posting these problems on a motorcycle forum. Share it with a real person. Not some online persona who doesn't give a crap about your life. Good chance he/she is a douche anyway.

Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #7
beninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

I'm in my third year of college, so here's a tip.

CONFIDENCE is KEY. People like to surround themselves with friends that are fun and positive.

Join clubs, it's how I found most of my friends. I never lived in dorms, but I was able to make friends by joining multiple clubs and getting involved.

Talk to people in your classes, you are bound to find someone interesting to talk to.

At the end of the day remember to maintain balance in your life. Adding a social side to your life will definitely be for the better, but you also need time for yourself and the books. Once you find this balance, you will literally radiate "coolness" haha.

Accept the awkwardness, and make friends that have qualities you want to improve in yourself.

Good luck!
beninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Don't work hard to fit in, work hard to stand out. The rest works out just fine.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #9
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

btw, don't buy into that "be an extrovert" crap. it's f*cking b*llshit.
be yourself.
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #10
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Name: HB

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja250

I have the same problem, I cannot go up and talk to people and make friends easily. I went through undergrad, masters and graduate school being the awkward kid with only very select friends. Trust me, the 'friendships that just happen' are like superglue.
hirubhaiambani is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #11
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floki View Post
Well...My first semester of college was not what I anticipated. My awkward personality and lack of social skills culminated a very dull 4 months. I've made all A's but the grass definitely seems greener if you have people to celebrate it with. I think one of my acquaintances felt sorry for me and invited me out to a pub owned by a fraternity and I actually had a really good time. I only talked to the people I was introduced to though as I am not good at making friends out of strangers. I seemed content with my lonely life before but it seems so nice to be in a lifestyle partying with others.

Jacques, you a boy or girl?

First, change your name.

Second, get some motorcycle t-shirts and wear them.

Third, be a badass like the rest of the 250 riders.

Old December 9th, 2013, 09:14 AM   #12
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Be you... If you want a certain type of friend, go where that type hangs out!
I have friends, I'm neither opposed to nor searching for more. Friends wind up giving me more hey hold my beer moments good, bad, or indifferent

Old December 9th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #13
Ninja Star
teh n00b

Name: Ralf

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirubhaiambani View Post
I have the same problem, I cannot go up and talk to people and make friends easily. I went through undergrad, masters and graduate school being the awkward kid with only very select friends. Trust me, the 'friendships that just happen' are like superglue.
Lol cmon son! you're an Ambani. Show 'em you flossin'
Ninja Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2013, 10:49 AM   #14
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Oh, does this bring back memories. You could be describing me at your age. Very introverted, socially awkward.... I still feel that way sometimes.

Here's something to think about. Making small talk and breaking the ice is not about telling your side of things. It's about the person you're talking to... give them an excuse to talk about themselves.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2013, 11:03 AM   #15
Ninja Star
teh n00b

Name: Ralf

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I don't understand why you would have trouble making friends... YOU HAVE A MOTORCYCLE. You gat dat swag.

I like being alone as I don't drink and parties so I'm different form most other 24 year olds. But it is very important to be able to hold a conversation even if it isn't something you want. I was like you too: content with a simple life of a few friends. But you will realize that knowing people helps. Immensely.

Now,

Small-talk is a skill. Like any other skill, it can be developed.

The ability to do that will help you in all aspects in life: the ladies , networking when expanding your professional network (I hope you're working on that given you're in college, and in general, will help you be more confident.

But it will require you to force yourself to go out and socialize. The best way would be to volunteer your time. Volunteer in a position where you have to interact with people. This is the perfect opportunity to develop and maybe fail a few times. You don't wanna be developing yourself when you're making small talk with your interviewer or talking to a girl you like, you wanna be developed and confident at that point. The more people you interact with, the more you will learn about yourself and higher your chances will be of meeting people who share your personality, hobbies and interests.

Not to mention volunteering will help others in your community.

But self-improvement requires consistent action. Better late than never, but never late is better.

So get out there man!
Ninja Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #16
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Fioki is lookin for fiends... Not friends

Head to the local trap house homie!!!

Old December 9th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #17
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Start drinking. Lots

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #18
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R, 1998 Ducati 748L #77/100

Wow, this thread has a lot of good advice in it! Thanks for all the responses fellas
Floki is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #19
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Advice on tap... An bull crap

Old December 10th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #20
tc.young
ninjette.org member

Name: tom

Motorcycle(s): '89 klr 650, '00 250r

college is what you make it, i graduated class of '12 and wish i spent a little more time socializing as networking is one of the biggest things post graduation that will help you (after a high gpa)

join a club, ski, chess, polish/asian/african who cares. they key is finding someone that you have something in common with, hopefully one thing you both really like to do. the rest works out. and have fun. work sucks now anyway
tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote