ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old November 13th, 2019, 02:54 PM   #1
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Most excellent key copying experience!!!

U$D 0.58 key blank/embryo from AliExpress
U$D 1.09 key copying in S.F. Chinatown
———————
$ 1.67 TOTAL - WORKS PERFECTLY!!

Couldn’t be better! I had original masters made from key-code under helmet lock 3-yrs ago when I got bike-in-boxes puzzle. I lost 2nd backup couple months ago and really like new-gen style key a lot with its big cover. None of usual key vendors had pre-gen key in new style, so I got one from Ali.

First thing I noticed is it’s longer! Tip to shoulder is about 1.5mm longer than factory key. So I made sure to instruct guy cutting key to cut from shoulder to tip and cut off extra at end in process. This is cause of most people’s issues with these keys from Ali. If you cut from tip up, it won’t match and copy won’t work!

With that out of way, he went off in back and I could hear key-grinding taking place as I wandered around looking at knick-knacks. Afte 5-minutes, he came back with my new key and it worked perfectly!!!

DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2019, 07:59 PM   #2
SibSerge
ninjette.org member

Name: Sergey

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ZZR250 (EX250H)

it's funny I got the same blank from ali but in blue 3 for 8 US delivered

The blank from Kawa dealer was 15CAD

Paid 5.80 CAD - about 4.5 US for 2 copies. Worked well

Not as cheap as yours though.
SibSerge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2019, 09:18 PM   #3
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

I got mine over year ago before tariffs kicked in, might have been U$0.99 in shipping or something.

I hesitated in getting copy made because of such bad experience previously. Originally I went to hardware store in Nob Hill and they found blank that matched. Cut me key and I went home and tried it, nope, only worked partially. I could turn it ON, but it wouldn't turn to LOCK. Trick was shoulder had to be pushing on lock and this one had shoulder that was much higher, about 3-5mm. Damn locksmith should've laid keys on top of each other and noticed it right away, idiot! I think it was an Ilco blank or some such.

Went back to have them try again and he refused, even after I showed him what problem was. And they refused to give me full refund and just gave me back just $3 for key-blank out of $17 I had spent there...grrr... So I was pissed and took over year to research this topic and get familiar with keys. Figured I'd get my own blank to make sure it's compatible. Ali one was close enough and I know all negative reviews were due to operator-error in cutting.

Got my blank in post and just hung onto it while researching locksmiths and trying to figure out who could possibly cut this correctly and not mess up. Tried big-box stores like Home Depot and they've dummied key-cutting to automated machines any yute can operate. However, your vehicle must be in machine's database in order for them to select it on screen, then it tells them which blank to use and stick in original and copy is spat out. Nope, no Ninja 250 in database, so no luck there.

Luckily I was walking back to office after retrieving dim-sum for lunch and walked past this place! Good to know there's still competent locksmiths who know how to properly operate manual key-cutting machine! Also probably helped being able to speak Chinese!

Feng Cai Trading Co., Chinatown, SF

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; November 16th, 2019 at 01:05 AM.

Old November 14th, 2019, 06:29 AM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Neat. Does it work in the fork lock?

I got a cheap blank and the local hardware store guy wouldn't take any money after he made the key for me. It works fine in the ignition switch and seat lock, but it was too short to work in the fork lock. If I remember right I cut some off the handle part of the key for clearance and it works in the fork now.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2019, 06:54 AM   #5
SibSerge
ninjette.org member

Name: Sergey

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ZZR250 (EX250H)

We had our big box stores transitioned to the dumb machines too. Both home depot and canadian tire refused to make a copy for me saying the machine does not have the key in the system. Me pointing to the key vise standing beside it did not help. They said that they stopped doing it. I had to make at least 5 calls to different locksmiths to find one that makes copies for motorcycles. The guy turned out to be a rider as well rebuilding his Vulcan. We had a nice chat.

Speaking the language of the buisiness does help oftentimes. I had a developer girl in my team. She was from Harbin and she was getting good tea for us in China town for half the price
SibSerge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2019, 09:27 PM   #6
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Interesting side story: I had an issue with Perigee where the key wouldn't turn for the gas cap and it looked like some corrosion or similar might've been binding it up. After trying the simpler solutions (like a lubricant) I had a spare key made and then, using it, did a fairly gentle rubber mallet hit and it got everything reseated properly without risking my original key.

Old November 15th, 2019, 09:39 AM   #7
DannoXYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Neat. Does it work in the fork lock?

I got a cheap blank and the local hardware store guy wouldn't take any money after he made the key for me. It works fine in the ignition switch and seat lock, but it was too short to work in the fork lock. If I remember right I cut some off the handle part of the key for clearance and it works in the fork now.
I don’t have fork lock on mine. Lock position on ignition switch works perfectly!

Yup distance from tip to shoulder is critical for getting it to work. To move from OFF to LOCK position, shoulder has to depress lock inwards. Most problems stem from tip-to-shoulder being too long, thus you can never depress lock inwards before tip bottoms out (my Nob Hill copy).

Luckily in your case, problem was reversed and increasing distance from tip to shoulder allowed it to depress lock properly.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; November 16th, 2019 at 01:08 AM.