ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 26th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #1
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Pickup truck driver tries to kill biker

Found this on the web. Its fairly recent. A truck deliberately tries to kill some bikers. Consider this fair warning to those with high blood pressure.

Link to original page on YouTube.

n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #2
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

D***...
I guess I was not unfounded when I felt like pick up truck drivers always had beef with me.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #3
scotty

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Wow. I wonder what the cops ended up doing..

Old May 26th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #4
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Wow. I wonder what the cops ended up doing..
If like what they do here in Palm Beach County they probably patted the guy on the shoulder and said "Better luck next time."

Old May 26th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #5
kkim

I see one pissed off local, tired of having loud ass sport bikes blast through "his" neighborhood, passing anyone that gets in their way, even on double yellow lines.

Is he justified doing what he did? no... but I've seen that happen many times over the years driving the mountain road to work. when that happened to me, I learned it's best to slow down, keep the POS in front of me at a distance so I could keep an eye on him.

Did you all not see the first bike pass the truck on a double yellow line?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #6
scotty

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I see one pissed off local, tired of having loud ass sport bikes blast through "his" neighborhood, passing anyone that gets in their way, even on double yellow lines.

Is he justified doing what he did? no... but I've seen that happen many times over the years driving the mountain road to work. when that happened to me, I learned it's best to slow down, keep the POS in front of me at a distance so I could keep an eye on him.

I did notice that. He told the guy they never passed on a double line. I can understand to local guy being fed up with the nutty bikers, but he took his anger to far. I hope he think twice before he puts anybody easle in harms way again.

Old May 26th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #7
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Quote:

Yeah I see all that. My first thought was actually exactly what your first sentence said.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 07:02 PM   #8
reaperw
ninjette.org member

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

well your all going to yell at me but when the cops see that it was a double soild line the cop just just to say its his own fault.Just like if you j walk and get hit you S O L
reaperw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #9
n4mwd

Quote:
Yes I did, but irregardless, its highly illegal to try to block someone from passing regardless of the number of yellow lines. Since the truck tried to hit the biker on purpose, it can be nothing shy of attempted murder.

Old May 26th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #10
kkim

...and it's highly illegal to pass on a double yellow line.

like I said... was he justified??? no, but don't make the bike riders to be angels, either... they asked for it.

Old May 26th, 2011, 07:31 PM   #11
glock_19
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Green SE

In all fairness the guy on the bike was riding like an a**hole. I have no respect for people that pass on double yellow lines. There was a local accident here where a kid decided to pass on a double yellow on a country road. When he got in the other lane he saw oncoming traffic and tried to duck back in behind the car he was passing, he clipped it into the other lane and killed everyone but himself. The fact is when you pass someone illegally you're putting everyone in danger.

With all that being said, that dude was trying to freakin murder him. If you meet an a**hole in a bar do you try to kill him? No, this was just crazy.
glock_19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #12
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
...and it's highly illegal to pass on a double yellow line.

like I said... was he justified??? no, but don't make the bike riders to be angels, either... they asked for it.

No, what they asked for was a single citation for passing in a no passing zone. What they got was Billy Bob driving in a mad rage trying to kill everyone else on the road in both lanes for several miles.

Is what they did wrong? For the most part yes. It would seem that in their state under certain conditions you can pass on those roads with double lines. There is a law that states you have to give way to the vehicle overtaking. They posted stuff in the comments with links and such. How much you want to believe is up to you. I don't care either way.

In this case, the biker in the front should get a citation for the passing. The truck driver however should get time in jail and lose his license for attempted manslaughter, and numerous accounts of reckless endangerment.

Under NO circumstance should someone attempt to take the law into their own hands.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #13
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post

Under NO circumstance should someone attempt to take the law into their own hands.
exactly... I couldn't understand why they all stopped at that stop sign. seems sort of dumb to me on the bike riders' part. what were they trying to accomplish? Knowing what the truck driver just did, what would have happened if he came out of the truck armed with a shotgun?

dunno the laws in other states, but a double yellow line here means no passing... if it doesn't mean that there, why don't they just have dotted lines in safe passing areas?

Old May 26th, 2011, 07:52 PM   #14
miss_syn
my hair matches my bike

Name: Tiffany

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red 250r

If I was that first bike I would have been trying to fly away so my ass didn't get run over. :0
miss_syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #15
n4mwd

Technically its illegal to "cross" a double yellow line. The first biker did that once, but the truck did it numerous times. I lost count. The bike in the rear did not cross the center line.

I also noticed what looked like a 4 wheeled ATC in the back of the truck. So he likes those, and apparently likes cruisers, but hates crotch rockets.

I personally think that road ragers against bikers should get stiffer penalties. I mean, if they side swipe a car trying to pass, then its just an inconvenience to get the car repaired, but if they do that to a biker, its almost certain death or injury.

I have been trying to open a dialog with state and federal lawmakers to get such biker protection laws enacted, but so far I haven't got anything but static.

Old May 26th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #16
kkim

How about just being smart and avoiding situations like these once they start to develop whether on a bike or in a cage?

Being a bike rider doesn't/shouldn't give you special privileges as a vehicle on the road. The bike riders initiated the exchange by the double yellow line pass and taunted the asshole in the truck by the second rider looking for a way to get around him.

If I were the second rider, when I saw that, I would have pulled waaaaay back and away from that driver, period.

Old May 26th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #17
n4mwd

Quote:
How about just being smart and avoiding situations like these once they start to develop whether on a bike or in a cage?
While the first biker did appear to break the law by crossing the double yellow line first, he did so without malice. It was the trucker that first showed malice towards the bikers. AND did you notice that the trucker accelerated towards the first biker as if to attempt to ram him? In that case, the only thing that matters is to get him stopped one way or another before someone gets hurt.

Old May 26th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #18
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

I've been in similar situations. One time, my group passed a lady on a double-yellow, just like this picture. What did she do? She pulled out her cell phone and recorded video of my whole group passing. She then proceeded to call the cops. 5 people in my group got a ticket that day. Was that a d!ck move? Yep, especially when she tried to run over one of the riders pulling out of the gas station. But was she in the right to call the cops. Absolutely. I can't fault her for handling it like that.

Is it legal to pass on a double-yellow? It doesn't matter. Let the bike or car pass.
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #19
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
In that case, the only thing that matters is to get him stopped one way or another before someone gets hurt.
well, you can do it... I wouldn't. it's not like they didn't have cell phones and couldn't call in the incident from a safe vantage point. After all, they did have that self incriminating video they posted as evidence.

the only thing they really needed to get was the truck's license plate number.

Old May 26th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #20
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoKawi View Post

Is it legal to pass on a double-yellow? It doesn't matter. Let the bike or car pass.
obviously the guy in the pickup truck didn't feel the same as you.

Old May 26th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #21
n4mwd

Quote:
the only thing they really needed to get was the truck's license plate number.
Nope that is not true. I have tried that exact thing with a hit and run driver. The cops tracked him down and he simply said he wasn't driving and didn't know who was. Since it was only property damage, there was no further investigation. No charges got filed.

With respect to the previous poster, I don't know about that state, but in Florida where I live, a dumb broad with a cell phone can't initiate a traffic ticket like that - unless she was an off duty cop. Videos can be faked.

Even with this video, its just considered supplemental evidence. The two guys on the bike are actual witnesses. That's what it takes in many states to file felony charges for attempted manslaughter.

Old May 26th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #22
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

PRO-TIP: NEVER dismount and approach the window of another vehicle, especially one in whose driver you may have pissed off. In a confrontation like this, the biker who was filming should have IMMEDIATELY called the police as soon as he identified the plates of the truck.

I've had to call the police on reckless drivers many times and all it takes is a Highway number and direction and there will more than likely be a deputy within a few miles able to intercept. Let the LEO sort it out, and provide any evidence you can. I understand he was trying to keep up with the truck for several reasons, so he should have done this upon reaching the stop-sign.

Say what you want, but I profile other drivers and their vehicles. I wasn't shocked by the type of person that stepped out of the truck. I'm more surprised that he didn't step out of his truck with a shotgun or pistol, though I couldn't really tell what he was waving around.
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #23
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I had a pick up swing a door open at me one time . I kicked in the doors on both sides of his truck . and kicked dents in the bed. I started trying to break the door glass with my fist when he panicked and drove off. YA I was very upset.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #24
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Well, I have certainly been in situations where I have wanted to pass in a double yellow zone, and at times I have. One time I remember specifically was years ago going back to the pizza store I worked at. I was returning from a delivery and I was on a road with a 50 mph limit behind a woman who was doing 20 mph. When it was safe, I passed her. It was a double yellow, so I made certain there were no police around, and I passed on a downhill section with a mild corner you could see around, so I'm not sure why it was double yellow to begin with. Regardless, it was, and I made an illegal pass.

The woman in front of me was talking on a cell phone and more than likely lost. She was probably driving slow enough on that road to get ticket (yes, you can get a ticket for driving too far below the limit). None of that matters. I still pulled an illegal maneuver.

The only thing I see that can happen in this situation that is fair is the rider getting ticketed for his illegal pass, and the truck driver getting some type of road rage charge brought up against him. The driver seriously overreacted and could have killed the rider, but the rider passed a vehicle that was moving at what looked to be a reasonable pace on a double yellow line.

Furthermore, the streets are not racetracks. I love riding my ZX, but often times I enjoy my wife's TU just as much. Why? Because I can beat the hell out of it and literally not ever go faster than 70 mph. It's better than the Ninja 250 in that regard, which CAN get you into trouble with the law pretty quickly. On the ZX I could take most corners in 1st or 2nd gear and be breaking the law. Did I mention first gear goes a bit past 70? That is as fast as my wife's bike is capable going down hill. Like I said, the road isn't a racetrack and I don't ride my bike like it is. When riders (on ANY type motorcycle) start doing crap like that, it looks BAD on ALL riders.

While I am certainly not siding with the jerk in the truck for what can only be described as attempted murder, the rider is at fault as well. Look at the Dragon videos as an example. Plenty of YouTube videos of 600s and 1000s on the Dragon. Look at the speedometer and you see some of them hit 100 or so before braking hard for the next corner, passing multiple vehicles at a time in some instances. People who ride that hard on public streets are dangers to everyone. It also makes people who don't understand riding view it negatively because of a few random douche bags.

Old May 26th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #25
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liber View Post
Say what you want, but I profile other drivers and their vehicles. I wasn't shocked by the type of person that stepped out of the truck. I'm more surprised that he didn't step out of his truck with a shotgun or pistol, though I couldn't really tell what he was waving around.
Yes I was wondering about that too. It was actually a tire iron. I don't know about other states, but in Florida, if he had left the truck waiving a gun, he would be as good as dead. In Florida, its perfectly legal to shoot people threatening you with a gun. Believe it or not, there are other states where that is NOT legal.

Old May 26th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #26
Azhyen
ninjette.org Pirate

Name: Seph

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Both the bikers and the truck driver are STUPID drivers. The proper thing would've been for the bikers to slow down and wait for the truck driver to pull over so that they could pass. You NEVER cross double yellow lines. The truck driver shouldn't have gotten into his road rage and try to hit/block the biker.

Once both acts have occurred they're BOTH at fault.

Old May 26th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #27
Azhyen
ninjette.org Pirate

Name: Seph

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:

Being a bike rider doesn't/shouldn't give you special privileges as a vehicle on the road. The bike riders initiated the exchange by the double yellow line pass and taunted the asshole in the truck by the second rider looking for a way to get around him.

If I were the second rider, when I saw that, I would have pulled waaaaay back and away from that driver, period.
Yes avoiding a driving conflict would've been best for both parties.

Old May 26th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #28
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

When we're riding in the mtns, we pass on double yellow all day long. If you don't you get stuck behind an RV or Grandpa in his Buick doing 35 in a 55 zone for miles of winding double yellow, blech. Just because a pass might not be legal, that doesn't mean its unsafe. It also doesn't justify attempted homicide. I would have passed the truck too.

Old May 26th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #29
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Not to kill the mood or anything.. But that looked like a pretty good road to ride on.

Moral of the story: People are dumb.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #30
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

I'd say an 80/20 (truck/bike) split in wrongness here. They make non passing zones for a reason... however on an empty country road stuck behind some slow truck when its otherwise safe to pass, I think a little fudging can be permitted. The biker broke the law, yet the truck driver broke many laws. He was all over the road, anyone else on that road could've been hit by him and I'd call that fair attempted manslaughter on the biker. He has an ATV, and assuming he rides it he otta know damn well the consequences of crashing and what he could've done to that biker. Its country, hick assholes like this who think they can take the law into their own hands that cause problems like this. Not to say the biker(s) were angels in this scenario, but they were more danger to themselves than to another person. The polite thing to do would have been to slow down and pull over a little to let the bikes go by and not mind them. They'll get the speeding tickets in that case, not him. He just made the situation worse for everyone. Two wrongs don't make a right... its gotta be the oldest saying in the book but its oh so true.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #31
kkim

it's not about assigning right or wrong... it's about staying out of conflicts that can have disastrous results. Most people you pass will not care one way or another. When you find one like that truck driver, stay as far away from them as possible.

Last futzed with by kkim; May 27th, 2011 at 12:05 AM.

Old May 27th, 2011, 12:37 AM   #32
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

I dont know about Kentucky law but here in Illinois most rural and back roads only have the single center stripe (passing allowed) not double solid. The striped line goes over hills and around corners in places no sane or even insane person would try to pass. Does that mean if I pass going over a hill and I kill someone its ok?? Of course not. Am I going to get a ticket for illegal lane usage?? YOU BET!!!!
Let me rationalize my actions. The yellow stripe in the road said it was ok, so I passed on a blind hill and killed someone. Its not my fault, right??
Sound crazy??
Sounds about as crazy as the justification made by the driver that the biker was in the wrong to pass on a straight streach of road with at least 1/2 mile visability. (clearly enough visibility to make a pass)
Ill bet there is some law in KY that covers the rural roads and the double solid on roads that dont have any marked passing zones.
Are you supposed to ride behind a farm tractor forever on that road?? How about a grain truck pulling a couple trailers of grain. How about granny and gramps going 15 mph on sunday?? What about a garbage truck?? How about the mail man??

I saw 1 citation for the biker that can be proven. (if it is indeed illegal to pass where he passed)

I saw a slew of felony charges for the pick-up. Reckless endangerment (3 counts), Attempted murder, attempted bodily harm with a weapon,
Im quite sure you cant approach someone with a tire iron in a threatening manner after chasing them for a couple miles.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #33
almost40

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
it's not about assigning right or wrong... It's about staying out of conflicts that can have disastrous results. Most people you pass will not care one way or another. When you find one like that truck driver, stay as far away from them as possible.
+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Old May 27th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #34
almost40

The truck driver is the lucky one... If he approached someone that was packing a 9mm with a tire iron in his hand he might have had a really bad day.
Stupid is as stupid does.

Old May 27th, 2011, 03:01 AM   #35
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
The truck driver was lucky. They did not need a gun. Two guys in full leather with helmets on and gloved with carbon fiber knuckles can take the tire iron and stick it through hs radiator then after beating his ass can toss his keys into the next count and ride away.

Old May 27th, 2011, 03:10 AM   #36
kkim

not really. all the truck driver needed to do was run over the bikes once stopped, while they were at the stop sign, and the guys would have been in a world of hurt. no way to pursue the driver at that point and in fact, the truck driver could have gone after them with the truck after he destroyed the bikes. how much protection would their safety gear have provided then?

they put themselves in a very precarious and dangerous position by playing vigilantes.

Old May 27th, 2011, 03:28 AM   #37
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Well it looked like the guy in front took off and pulled over to wait for his bud when he figured he lost the truck. I don't really think they were trying to be vigilantes. Otherwise they would have kicked the **** out of the truck driver.
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 04:42 AM   #38
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Quote:
not really. all the truck driver needed to do was run over the bikes once stopped, while they were at the stop sign, and the guys would have been in a world of hurt. no way to pursue the driver at that point and in fact, the truck driver could have gone after them with the truck after he destroyed the bikes. how much protection would their safety gear have provided then?

they put themselves in a very precarious and dangerous position by playing vigilantes.
Definitly keep the driver in frount of you. The real thing to do is follow from a LONG distance .Then call police once the driver gets to the bar. BUT once out of the truck two againced one when the one has on a wife beater and the two have full armor in not a match . But ya a 5000 lb vehicle is way more deadly a wepon than even a gun.

Old May 27th, 2011, 04:51 AM   #39
n4mwd

Quote:
it's not about assigning right or wrong... it's about staying out of conflicts that can have disastrous results. Most people you pass will not care one way or another. When you find one like that truck driver, stay as far away from them as possible.
When I ride alone, that's an easy thing to do and in that case I would agree with you. But when I'm in a group its a different story. The trucker tried to kill the first rider without provocation by swerving into him during a pass. Then he tried to run down that same biker. Now the second biker is a witness and is required to help get the first biker out of danger.

At the stop sign, the first biker jumped off his bike so if the truck ran it over he would only do property damage. But did you notice the part where the trucker admits that the whole incident was because they were riding "crotch rockets" and not because of anything specific they did. In some areas that would be considered a hate crime.

The ATC on the back of the truck still puzzles me. I have to wonder if he stole it in order to "punish" some other rider.

Old May 27th, 2011, 05:48 AM   #40
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
...they asked for it.
Sounds like a good epitaph for your tombestone should someone else ever perceive that you "asked for it" and killed you for it...

Several one-liners come to mind besides "...asked for it", such as:

Last time I checked, illegal passing wasn't a death-penalty offense.

Vigilante justice doesn't fall under "rule of law".

Deadly force is sometimes allowed for self-defense, but never for lane defense.

Regardless of the provocation, you are responsible for your own actions and decisions.

Edit to add: Look at it the from other direction: For attempting to kill a human being over something as petty as an illegal traffic pass, what did the driver ask for? How about a good beat-down and a burn down of his vehicles and house? That'd leave him still alive, which is more than what could have been said for the rider if he'd succeeded in killing him, or anyone that he hit head-on while swerving all over the road...
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote