ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old September 2nd, 2011, 12:51 PM   #1
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

Thinking of a stick-on paint job.

Not velcro, but vinyl. My paint is decent 3 year old paint with plenty of little scratches, etc. Nothing horrible but I was thinking of a repaint.

Then I moved into an apartment this month without a garage (waiting on one to open up). At this point and I have decided to look into a full vinyl wrap job. I like this idea because:

-I can pic whatever color/texture/design I want
-Easy application
-I can tear it off if it makes me puke
-Should be relatively cheap
-Less down time- I can wrap parts one at a time. The tank I can save for last.

Mainly I am looking for those who may have done this or have experience. I figure I could tackle this myself but some coaching would be nice.

I did think of DiNoc carbon fiber but that is too much $$ for what I want to do and may be over the top. Tri will also have to cook up a new back of decals if I do this as well
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:05 PM   #2
Ninja Assassin
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 two-fiddy (red)

I gotta be honest, i've never once considered it, but now that you mention it, it sounds like a helluvan idea.
Ninja Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:08 PM   #3
DarC
DUCEATR

If I can find a good place to get vinyl I think I am going to go ahead and start with the rear seat cowl and tail fairings.

Now just need to decide on a color...any color.

Anyone know where I can find matte vinyl? I think a matte red/white scheme might look cool. Matte orange, who knows, anything neato.
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.

Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:12 PM   #4
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

i am going to do this with matte black vinyl this winter
azimmer11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:14 PM   #5
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I just finished my vinyl job about a week ago and I have to say that it is a lot more work than I thought it would be. I used oracal 651 vinyl which is definitely on the cheap side compared to others. I bought a 50" X 10 yard roll for about $60 shipped in solid white. I managed to complete my entire vinyl job with only about 2-3 yards of it. If you do it yourself; don't expect to have it come out perfect. Mine has tons of imperfections but from 3ft away or more you can barely see most of them. It takes a lot of patience but I was very pleased with my outcome. I still may redo some peices to fix some things but it came out pretty darn tootin good .

Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:22 PM   #6
DarC
DUCEATR

I'll have to post back later...can't see your pic at work .

I have wrapped smaller things so I know that the best remedy is patience, soapy water, patience, heat gun, patience, and felt with a little patience.

$60 isn't that bad, I would assume just the right amount of 3M stuff shouldn't be much more.

Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:22 PM   #7
Crriiissss
ninjette.org member

Name: Cristian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja Thunder Blue(sold), 2004 Suzuki GS500f(sold), 2006 Ninja 250, 2013 Ninja 300 SE

I'm planning to do the same when I find the time, just a couple of stripes here and there, something like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 200.jpg (72.9 KB, 43 views)
Crriiissss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:24 PM   #8
Ninja Assassin
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 two-fiddy (red)

Bikes looks sharp in the picture man.
Ninja Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 03:29 PM   #9
DarC
DUCEATR

I have the stuff to paint the bike problem is that I gave up my garage thus I don't have a place to paint. It will be had enough taking off the plastic parts to wrap as the "living code" in my complex is very strict about working on vehicles outside...I don't have a way to bring it inside either. I have confidence that I can do the wrapping myself as I have wrapped with DiNoc before with great results so we shall see how this goes!

I am going to try to find the website I used before and I will buy some vinyl tonight. Still contemplating colors....

I am also attempting to figure out how much will be needed to just wrap the entire bike, I don't want to buy too much if I don't have to.

Old September 2nd, 2011, 07:08 PM   #10
5evenz
ninjette.org member

Name: Sev

Motorcycle(s): 09' 250r Thunder Blue

I have been wanting to do this since i got my bike, just to hide some scuffs on the fairing. but i have no idea where to pick the vinyl wrap. ??? I work a lot with stencils so im good with an exacto and boy do i have some sweet ideas.
5evenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 07:42 PM   #11
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kurgan

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarC View Post
If I can find a good place to get vinyl I think I am going to go ahead and start with the rear seat cowl and tail fairings.

Now just need to decide on a color...any color.

Anyone know where I can find matte vinyl? I think a matte red/white scheme might look cool. Matte orange, who knows, anything neato.
Best place to check is your local sign shops that do vinyl signs, ask them where they get their vinyl from.

Also start checking Art supply stores, and places that specialize in window tinting and body wraps for cars.

Make up some kind of story for the car wrap places, say you've got just a small piece of touchup to do and where you might find the vinyl you need, ask them to look at their catalogs under the guise of finding the right color, then snag the phone number of their vinyl distributor from the catalog.
Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 07:54 PM   #12
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

Plasti dip would work good as long as its not on a area were yourin direct contact with much. It comes in a few different colors also, not just black. Just a thought tho :-)
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2011, 06:19 PM   #13
Twisthem488
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninjette

How well does the vinyl hide scratches and cracks? Ive been contemplating wrapping my 2009 ninja that I purchased with some battle wounds, but wasn't sure if would need to still bondo, sand, and paint before wrapping.
Twisthem488 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #14
DarC
DUCEATR

The 3M stuff does a much better job of hiding imperfections than a typical decal thickness vinyl. I have the matte black decals and can see one spot on my rear plastics through the vinyl but it isn't too bad.

A simple smoothing out of the defect would probably be all that is needed really.

Old September 9th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #15
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

cool idea. let us know how it turns out for you.
gt_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #16
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

I went this route as well.

What you are looking to do shouldn't be too bad. I had a lot of trouble with mine, making the stencils fit the curves and maintain a straight line.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2011, 07:52 AM   #17
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Where'd you guys get your vinyl?
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 01:27 PM   #18
Francis
ninjette.org newbie 2,000

Name: Francis

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

I'm not familiar with this.

What is this 'vinyl paint thingy a bob' ?

You.. 'glue' it like sticker?
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #19
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
I went this route as well.
What you are looking to do shouldn't be too bad. I had a lot of trouble with mine, making the stencils fit the curves and maintain a straight line.
What camera did you use?

Old September 14th, 2011, 01:52 PM   #20
leed
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis View Post
I'm not familiar with this.

What is this 'vinyl paint thingy a bob' ?

You.. 'glue' it like sticker?
Think of it like a giant sticker. Except it has some give to it (it can stretch). You can buy them in bulk rolls and cut them yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
What camera did you use?
D90, I don't use it enough though

As for where to buy it, I found a local store (www.tapeworks.com) for what I was looking for, otherwise eBay has lots, and elsewhere online. Just search bulk vinyl.

Old September 14th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #21
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:

It's such beautiful quality!!

Old September 14th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #22
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

matte black

Old September 14th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #23
Francis
ninjette.org newbie 2,000

Name: Francis

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Quote:
Think of it like a giant sticker. Except it has some give to it (it can stretch). You can buy them in bulk rolls and cut them yourself.

As for where to buy it, I found a local store (www.tapeworks.com) for what I was looking for, otherwise eBay has lots, and elsewhere online. Just search bulk vinyl.

Oh, nice. If I remove it, would it leave any 'marks' or would it be back to 'original'?
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #24
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

Quote:
Oh, nice. If I remove it, would it leave any 'marks' or would it be back to 'original'?
depends on the quality
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #25
leed
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
depends on the quality
+1

For the most part.. It should come off without any issue. It may leave behind some adhesive right at the edges, as that is where it will likely slide back if it shrinks at all (from stretching without heat). This is the wonder of Vinyl over regular stickers.

Old September 26th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #26
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Name: Umar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R; 2011 250R (sold)

I've been thinking about doing an entire vinyl wrap on my bike as well. How long of a process do you guys think this is?
Also, did you need any special tools to smooth out the vinyl onto the bike or were your hands good enough?

Old September 28th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #27
leed
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Green_Demon View Post
I've been thinking about doing an entire vinyl wrap on my bike as well. How long of a process do you guys think this is?
Also, did you need any special tools to smooth out the vinyl onto the bike or were your hands good enough?
If you can, get a heat gun, or a good hair dryer. It would make the curves go by much much easier. As for how long, I did mine in a weekend, but you can tell if you look close. I would expect to spend some time on it, but I'm also not the best at it!

If you do a dry apply, heat is a huge plus, as I mentioned. Some people do a wet apply, which won't really work unless everything is precut and perfect. The most tasking thing for me was cutting it just right.

Old September 28th, 2011, 09:31 PM   #28
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Green_Demon View Post
I'm considering re-doing mine. It's starting to show a lot of big imperfections now but I guess that's what I get for my first time . I used an old I.D. card to smooth it all out but that definitely didn't seem like the best thing to use. I couldn't find an easily available squeegee (until after I finished) and I feel like it would have turned out much better if I had. As for time; I did my whole vinyl job in about a week or two working on it anywhere from 1-5 hours a day. I may wait until winter hits and redo each piece that needs fixing so that it's ready by next season. The amount of time it takes really depends on what vinyl design your making and how much time you can commit to it daily.

As far as tools for applying, a squeegee is a must imo and I used a hair dryer that worked well. I highly doubt you can get a good finish with only your hands; especially if there are sharp, 90 degree angles with small crevices.

Old September 28th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #29
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Name: Umar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R; 2011 250R (sold)

Sh*t... Sounds like it'd be extremely time consuming. I'm a patient person but I suck at doing automotive-like things, such as working on a bike. Just ask any of the members on here who've met me in person!

Old October 2nd, 2011, 11:28 AM   #30
leed
ninjette.org sage

Naah, this isn't so much mechanical aptitude as much as patience, creativity, and being nimble. The only thing mechanical about it is taking the darn fairings off to begin with!

Old October 2nd, 2011, 01:08 PM   #31
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

I would suggest, from personal exp, you spend the little extra on tools....

squeegee type thing: cut it if needed. cutting it into a 1/4 piece and a 3/4 piece makes it easy and have 2 sizes.

hair dryer is not that great, use a heat gun the higher temp makes the vinyl softer and more workable, eliminating the bubbles much better.

for the couple small bubble take a exacto blade or needle and poke a hole, use heat after poked and let the air out to push down. If your careful the hole is not visible at all even up close.

the better the vinyl the easier it will be to work with. good vinyls can handle higher heat thus becoming more ply-able. There is a learning curve for handling corners and seams but patience will get you a long ways. A pro could probably wrap the entire bike in about 4 hours if it was disassembled.

just my two cents.
Liquidtoon is offline   Reply With Quote