ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 30th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #1
vmlp
ninjette.org member

Name: vmlp

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja ex250

oil change - question!

Hi all,

I wanted use the synthetic oil for the next oil change. The bike has about 4600 miles on it. Is it OK if i switch to synthetic? do i need to replace the oil filter at every oil change? and what would be the oil change frequency if we use synthetic oil?

Please let me know.
Thanks in advance!
vmlp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #2
reaperw
ninjette.org member

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Well othere have done it much sooner then you,but why are you changing to syntec.I have use reg castrol oil since day one and never had any problem with my ninja.I change mine every 3000km with a k&nfilter .To me its just a waste of money unless you making lots of power or just riding it like you stole it everyday.Eithere way its your money.

search syntec oil on it many link will come up
reaperw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #3
reaperw
ninjette.org member

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Sorry oil filter should be change every oil change that what filters all the junk in you oil.Ifyou dont and just change the oil it will be dirty as soon as you start it again.
reaperw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2012, 07:45 AM   #4
vmlp
ninjette.org member

Talking Oil change with synthetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaperw View Post
Well othere have done it much sooner then you,but why are you changing to syntec.I have use reg castrol oil since day one and never had any problem with my ninja.I change mine every 3000km with a k&nfilter .To me its just a waste of money unless you making lots of power or just riding it like you stole it everyday.Eithere way its your money.

search syntec oil on it many link will come up
Thanks Reaperw,
Since I'm riding it 115KMS everyday to & from home - work, I thought It would be nice to put some extra protection and the reviews from other people
suggested that it runs smoother and better! For the oil filter in other forums someone suggested that you don't need to replace oil filter at every oil change...but skip one and change on next after that!

Thanks again,
Vmlp

Old May 31st, 2012, 08:11 AM   #5
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

You probably COULD skip filter changes, but I don't understand why you'd want to run clean, new oil through a dirty filter. There's quite a bit of dirty oil remaining in the filter housing if you don't drop the old filter. If you're going to change your oil, change it all. We're not talking about a lot of money here.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #6
vmlp
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
You probably COULD skip filter changes, but I don't understand why you'd want to run clean, new oil through a dirty filter. There's quite a bit of dirty oil remaining in the filter housing if you don't drop the old filter. If you're going to change your oil, change it all. We're not talking about a lot of money here.
Thanks a lot cbdallas!
I will change the filter on every oil change! Its good practice to keep the bike healthy.