ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old July 15th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #1
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Name: JJ

Motorcycle(s): 2018 Ninja 400 Race Bike (in progress...)

Ninja 300 Superbike

Anyone done/doing a superbike build of a Ninja 300? In other words, full suspension upgrades, engine mods, etc.? I started but running into limitations on parts availability. Got the suspension, wheels, brakes taken care of now, but still haven't found any engine parts (pistons, cams, etc.). I can't keep up with the 450 singles on the straights, which is unacceptable! ha ha!

Here was mine last weekend at it's first track outing. This was before I modified the gauge mount to allow the clip-ons to be lowered, and before the new wheels and brake rotor were installed. I had race-tech emulators in the forks, but have a Andreani full cartridge kit on the way, along with an Ohlins TTX36 shock.

sprinter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #2
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Looks sweet... Build thread?

Old July 15th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #3
sprinter
ninjette.org member

I didn't picture everything as it was being done, was kind of in a hurry getting ready for the track weekend. So far it has: Brembo 15 RCS master cyclinder, Brembo racing caliper, Brembo racing rotor (waiting to install when wheels come in), Marchesini gold forged aluminum racing wheels 3.5" front 4.5" rear (on the way), Spiegler custom brake lines, Bridgestone 250 GP slicks, Ohlins shock (TTX36 on the way to replace it), Race-tech springs and emulators in forks (Andreani cartridge kit on the way), Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets, catalyst racing bodywork, Scorpion full exhaust, PowerCommander V and Dynojet Quickshifter, Shorai lithium battery, Sunstar 15/41 sprocket kit, DID MVXZ 520 chain, Zero Gravity Corsa windscreen, Yoshimura frame slider kit, R&G swingarm spools/sliders. I think that's all so far. I ordered a FactoryPro shift detent kit also, hoping to solve the problem of it popping out of 5th gear under full throttle at high rpm's.

Old July 15th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #5
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Curious as to why you're running a 15/41t sprocket combo.

Sick bike btw
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #6
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Since you already know about FactoryPro on their website you should take a look about the 250 ignition advancer RTR-KAW-5-05. Maybe it's useable for the 300 also, since the 300 only goes up to 31 degrees at 7,000 rpm. Read the comments there.
Good luck.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #7
Peanut_EOD
ninjette.org sage

Name: Peanut

Motorcycle(s): Green 2013 ZX-6R

I have done the 415 conversion with a 17t front and a 50t rear. I haven't raced with it yet. I race this weekend.

Old July 16th, 2013, 05:15 AM   #8
Dark
Simple kind of man

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Did you run the 15RCS before the caliper install? If so, what did you notice with the caliper install compared to stock?

I've been going back and forth on a caliper, currently have the RCS, Speigler lines, Vesrah pads.

For the money, you would be better off getting GSXR forks/brakes/tree rather than going with the caliper, master, and cartridge conversion kit. ~$800-$1000 compared to ~$1800-$2000. You can still get Marchesini to send you a GSXR front instead of a ninja 300 set.

Old July 16th, 2013, 07:34 AM   #9
Galaxieman
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 Concours 14

Depending on the race org and class he's trying to run, the fork swap may be a disqualifier, while the cartridge kits are not. Based on the weight of these bikes, larger fork tubes are probably past the point of diminishing returns in terms of front wheel bounce control anyway.

Old July 16th, 2013, 08:05 AM   #10
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
Curious as to why you're running a 15/41t sprocket combo.

Sick bike btw
No real reason other than I wanted to gear it taller and see what it will pull for top speed on the longest straight at the tracks we run. I figured I'd start there and then switch out if necessary. Right now, at Mid-America Motorplex it pulls 100mph on the speedo at the top of 5th gear on about a 1/3 mile long straight. When I can get up to Brainerd or Road American we'll see what 6th gear does.

Old July 16th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #11
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somchai View Post
Since you already know about FactoryPro on their website you should take a look about the 250 ignition advancer RTR-KAW-5-05. Maybe it's useable for the 300 also, since the 300 only goes up to 31 degrees at 7,000 rpm. Read the comments there.
Good luck.
Don't think I need it, the PowerCommander 5 already has ignition advance control capabilities.

Old July 16th, 2013, 08:08 AM   #12
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Did you run the 15RCS before the caliper install? If so, what did you notice with the caliper install compared to stock?

I've been going back and forth on a caliper, currently have the RCS, Speigler lines, Vesrah pads.

For the money, you would be better off getting GSXR forks/brakes/tree rather than going with the caliper, master, and cartridge conversion kit. ~$800-$1000 compared to ~$1800-$2000. You can still get Marchesini to send you a GSXR front instead of a ninja 300 set.
Didn't try it in stages, I put everything on before the first track day. The brakes are plenty strong at this point, not really looking for more, I don't really seem to need to use the brakes much on this bike anyway! I wanted to stick with the stock fork tubes in case I get the change to race somewhere that it's required. I did the GSX-R front end conversion on my SV650 and it was certainly a lot better, I'm hoping the cartridges will be good enough on the 300 since it's so much lighter.

Old July 16th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #13
zvonler
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 250R

Looking good! How much weight do those wheels save?
zvonler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #14
JBinSD
ninjette.org guru

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300, '99 SV650 tracked

Sprinter and Peanut, would definitely like to hear feedback on the gearing changes. For Chuck, I don't really need taller gearing, as I rarely use 6th, but would like more low and mid range. . .

I'm also debating the brake mods, but I really don't use the brakes too much either, the stock seems to work so far. . .

I agree the front end may not be worth the effort, lightness of stock setup is a good thing, and I'm still having trouble dialing in my suspension with an Elka in the rear and emulators up front.

I did a Bazzaz with full Yoshi system but no other engine mods. This is the year I work on the rider instead of the bike (I hope), but ya never know. . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1011882.jpg (106.2 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg P1011891.jpg (176.2 KB, 86 views)
JBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2013, 11:48 AM   #15
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Don't know for sure, but I'll weigh them as soon as the new wheels come in. I'm guessing about 4 lbs. or so. Looks like it's going to be a long wait, they just told me it's sitting about 16 weeks out now, which means I'll be running the rest of the season on the stock wheels. I'm going to switch over to the Pirelli SC1/SC2 race tires in the 110/150 size for now so I have the right profiles for the stock wheels. I was riding off the edge of the BT003RS 140 rear last weekend, which is not very confidence inspiring. I wish I could get the Bridgestone slicks in the right size, but the Ninja wheels are just right in between the available sizes.

Old July 16th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #16
JBinSD
ninjette.org guru

I roll the SC2's and like them, but agree slicks would be nice, although its probably all psychological. I ran through a set of 'Stones, 90/125's, and they just felt too squirrelly for me, but the fastest guys on 250s run these with serious speed. I was hoping someone, Bstone or Pirelli, would step up and make 110/150 slicks, but so far nada.

Old July 16th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #17
felo
ninjette.org member

Name: Carlos

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300R

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter View Post
Anyone done/doing a superbike build of a Ninja 300? In other words, full suspension upgrades, engine mods, etc.? I started but running into limitations on parts availability. Got the suspension, wheels, brakes taken care of now, but still haven't found any engine parts (pistons, cams, etc.). I can't keep up with the 450 singles on the straights, which is unacceptable! ha ha!

Here was mine last weekend at it's first track outing. This was before I modified the gauge mount to allow the clip-ons to be lowered, and before the new wheels and brake rotor were installed. I had race-tech emulators in the forks, but have a Andreani full cartridge kit on the way, along with an Ohlins TTX36 shock.

i would like to see that bike painted in kawi green...
felo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2013, 12:11 PM   #18
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by felo View Post
i would like to see that bike painted in kawi green...
Nope, it's going to be painted Red/Black/White to match my Panigale!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 16th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #19
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinSD View Post
I roll the SC2's and like them, but agree slicks would be nice, although its probably all psychological. I ran through a set of 'Stones, 90/125's, and they just felt too squirrelly for me, but the fastest guys on 250s run these with serious speed. I was hoping someone, Bstone or Pirelli, would step up and make 110/150 slicks, but so far nada.
Which Bridgestone slicks are you running?? I didn't see any in the right size?

Old July 16th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #20
JBinSD
ninjette.org guru

They're not the right size, I ran a 90front /120 rear, yeah they were too small, but still worked. Actually they were the first set I used at the track, so I had nothing to compare them to, and they felt skittish/unstable to me, but it was my first time on a little bike (I have SV's and a K1300s). I might try them again this year, but hopefully someone will make some slicks that actually fit. . . .

Old July 16th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #21
felo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Nope, it's going to be painted Red/Black/White to match my Panigale!
should had bought a white or black one ,that way you didn't have to paint the tank and save you a couple of dollars in the process, unless you wanted abs

Old July 16th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #22
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by felo View Post
should had bought a white or black one ,that way you didn't have to paint the tank and save you a couple of dollars in the process, unless you wanted abs
Didn't want ABS, I actually took the whole ABS system off the bike! I only got this one because we took it in on trade at the dealership I run, so it was convenient. I was actually debating between one of these or building a 450 single road race conversion. I had a Ninja 650R race bike several years ago and loved that bike, so when this one came in on trade it was meant to be!

Old July 16th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #23
felo
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Didn't want ABS, I actually took the whole ABS system off the bike! I only got this one because we took it in on trade at the dealership I run, so it was convenient. I was actually debating between one of these or building a 450 single road race conversion. I had a Ninja 650R race bike several years ago and loved that bike, so when this one came in on trade it was meant to be!
I see , well good luck with the proyect , cant wait to see the finish product

Old July 25th, 2013, 08:29 AM   #24
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Made one more new addition today, Driven Racing D-Axis quick-release fuel cap:

Old July 25th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #25
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

@sprinter What will you do with the stock fork internals & emulators after the cartridge install?
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #26
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
@sprinter What will you do with the stock fork internals & emulators after the cartridge install?
I don't need them, they're just sitting on our suspension rack right now. The cartridge kit install is not reversible, so the stock internals can never be put back in those forks anyway. If you want them, PM me an offer!

Old July 25th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #27
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Here's the cartridge kit installed.

P.S. - The Ducati key chain adds 5 MPH of top speed!

Old July 25th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #28
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

That 300 is badass!
quarterliter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2013, 11:18 AM   #29
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I don't need them, they're just sitting on our suspension rack right now. The cartridge kit install is not reversible, so the stock internals can never be put back in those forks anyway. If you want them, PM me an offer!
P.S. - I have an Ohlins shock that just came off to be replaced by the TTX shock, and it only has 1 track day of use on it!

Old July 25th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #30
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterliter View Post
That 300 is badass!
Thanks, it's a fun project! The older I get, the slower I want to go it seems. My Panigale is so brutally fast that you have to be on the sharp edge all the time if you're going at a quick pace on the track, and it's just a lot more work. The 300 I can just throw around at will, and ride a lot closer to the capabilities of the bike. I'd like to maybe squeeze in a race again once in a while, and racing the tiny bikes is more fun and less costly!

Old July 25th, 2013, 12:48 PM   #31
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Got the Ohlins TTX shock installed, just a couple things to finish before loading up for the track day tomorrow.

Old July 25th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #32
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

"My Panigale is so brutally fast that you have to be on the sharp edge all the time if you're going at a quick pace on the track, and it's just a lot more work. The 300 I can just throw around at will, and ride a lot closer to the capabilities of the bike" I have a 250 I would trade for the Duc if you are looking for a flickable bike

Old July 25th, 2013, 01:51 PM   #33
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Quote:
"My Panigale is so brutally fast that you have to be on the sharp edge all the time if you're going at a quick pace on the track, and it's just a lot more work. The 300 I can just throw around at will, and ride a lot closer to the capabilities of the bike" I have a 250 I would trade for the Duc if you are looking for a flickable bike
Ha ha! Well, the Duc is not for sale, it's absolutely awesome to ride, just fun to also have a little "play" bike to really thrash, that's what the 300 is for! Plus I have several buddies with Ninja 250's and 450 single race bikes where we can all run together in a pack and have some fun!

Old July 25th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #34
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

Well it was worth a shot haha..........what are guys using for 450 race bikes?

Old July 25th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #35
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Well it was worth a shot haha..........what are guys using for 450 race bikes?
One of the guys has a WR450 Yamaha and the other is a CRF450 Honda. Just like these:
http://www.450gp.com/EN/index.html

They're awesome bikes, the torque of the single is nice, but on a big track you have to be worried about blowing them up on the straights since those singles aren't built to rev out like that.

Old July 25th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #36
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

I saw these bikes in a Sportrider one time thought the aprilia twin was sick. The 450 twin would be a killer combo!

Old July 25th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #37
zvonler
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 250R

Someone say Panigale? Here's a clip of a 250 clowning one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7fly5uooA8
zvonler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #38
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
[QUOTE=zvonler;719991]Someone say Panigale? Here's a clip of a 250 clowning one...

Link to original page on YouTube.

Love the vid!!!

Old July 25th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #39
sprinter
ninjette.org member

Ha, nice! That's exactly what I plan on doing this weekend with some of the big bikes! I may be just a little faster than that on my Panigale at least.....

Old July 25th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #40
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

I'd hope so!