ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old March 11th, 2014, 08:45 PM   #1
jefe305
ninjette.org member

Name: Mitchell

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Advanced MSF Course?

Has anyone taking the advanced MSF course at the Harley Davidson dealership? Exactly how advanced and difficult is it?
jefe305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2014, 05:18 AM   #2
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Which one is your dealer doing? The MSF has a lot of advanced courses.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2014, 08:31 PM   #3
jefe305
ninjette.org member

Name: Mitchell

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
Which one is your dealer doing? The MSF has a lot of advanced courses.
o I thought they just had beginner and advanced. I'll have to find out
jefe305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2014, 01:04 AM   #4
Galaxieman
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 Concours 14

MSF course listings are available here..

Generally, locations run the Basic Rider Course, Experienced Rider Course (now listed as the BRC2), and Advanced Rider Course. Military bases also run the Military Sportbike Rider Course, which is the ARC curriculum with a different intro video and some revised language. I'd wager the Harley dealership runs an ERC/BRC2 and not the ARC, but either would be good depending on your current skill level.

If you have a couple hundred miles under your belt the ERC/BRC2 should be fine, it's essentially a slightly higher speed BRC on your own bike. The ARC gets into some more advanced cornering techniques and some higher speed drills (the swerve drill springs to mind as the most taxing on bike and rider). These higher speed drills require one to be more familiar with their bike going in, so I'd recommend being about a riding season, or the better part of a season in.

I have taken all of the above courses, and highly recommend ALL of them. I had been riding over a year when I took the BRC initially, and still learned a LOT. I had been riding for over a decade and had more than 60,000 miles under my belt when I took the MSRC and it's still a hoot. Getting the chance to have an instructor critique the simple stuff and keep the bad habits at bay is a great thing.

Old March 13th, 2014, 04:04 AM   #5
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxieman View Post
MSF course listings are available here..

Generally, locations run the Basic Rider Course, Experienced Rider Course (now listed as the BRC2), and Advanced Rider Course. Military bases also run the Military Sportbike Rider Course, which is the ARC curriculum with a different intro video and some revised language. I'd wager the Harley dealership runs an ERC/BRC2 and not the ARC, but either would be good depending on your current skill level.

If you have a couple hundred miles under your belt the ERC/BRC2 should be fine, it's essentially a slightly higher speed BRC on your own bike. The ARC gets into some more advanced cornering techniques and some higher speed drills (the swerve drill springs to mind as the most taxing on bike and rider). These higher speed drills require one to be more familiar with their bike going in, so I'd recommend being about a riding season, or the better part of a season in.

I have taken all of the above courses, and highly recommend ALL of them. I had been riding over a year when I took the BRC initially, and still learned a LOT. I had been riding for over a decade and had more than 60,000 miles under my belt when I took the MSRC and it's still a hoot. Getting the chance to have an instructor critique the simple stuff and keep the bad habits at bay is a great thing.
I agree, the MSRC or ARC is definitely worth it. Those swerve drills are no joke hah. The tight circles you do are good practice for looking way through turns too.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2014, 01:23 PM   #6
Galaxieman
ninjette.org member

My personal favorite is the 'kidney bean' drill, followed closely by the 'decreasing radius turns' or 'inward spiral' drill. Next time I take the course I swear I'm gonna wear my leathers and drag knee on those...

Old March 17th, 2014, 08:35 AM   #7
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
I really want to take the experienced course. One day maybe I'll find an extra few hundred dollars laying around somewhere.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2014, 11:06 PM   #8
Galaxieman
ninjette.org member

Harley Skilled Rider Course is based on the BRC2 (ERC) and is $150 at the dealerships near you. Unfortunately the nearest dealership is ~73 miles from Athens.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.