Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 21st, 2012, 07:01 PM   #1
RiderOnTheStorm
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Blue 08 250 - Blue Magic

Roll on the throttle and no response?

Hey all,

I'm really excited a member told me about this place, because I've a got question...

I have an 08 and I've heard the 250 takes a while warm up. I've ridden twice and when downshift I try to roll on the throttle to bring the RPMs up for a smooth downshift. However, sometimes, when I try to roll on the throttle, I get no response - so I have to essentially blip it twice to get the RPMs to jump. I can't say definitely if this is when I fits start riding (the bike would be cold) but is this normal as the bike warms up or is there something wrong with my carb?

Thanks for your help!
RiderOnTheStorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2012, 07:42 PM   #2
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

welcome to the forum bro. The lag you mentioned is perfectly normal...throttle response is inhibited while the bike is still cold, but if you use the choke appropriately you should have no problem at all.
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2012, 07:46 PM   #3
RiderOnTheStorm
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Blue 08 250 - Blue Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
welcome to the forum bro. The lag you mentioned is perfectly normal...throttle response is inhibited while the bike is still cold, but if you use the choke appropriately you should have no problem at all.
How do you mean, use the choke appropriately? I start with it on until the bike idles at 1300 by itself. Should I leave it on partially as I ride?

Sweet avatar btw!!
RiderOnTheStorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2012, 08:01 PM   #4
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Well...the way I do it is to start it with the choke lever half way down (but considering the cold weather nowadays, I pull it fully open) and start riding. After riding for about two blocks or so, I start slowly closing the choke few inches every few minutes. If you have a couple of stops along your way, check your tach and if the rpms are greater than 2500, start closing the choke.
This thread gives a better description on "appropriate" choke usage >> http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_is..._at_startup%3F
and this on warm up routine >> http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Warming_up_your_engine

Hope they clear up what I might have confused
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2012, 08:06 PM   #5
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

for me the half way point does nothing on my 250. It's generally the 3/4 position when I start to hear and feel a change in the rpms standing and moving.

Welcome to the forums man!!
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2012, 09:05 PM   #6
DownByFive
@TwoWheelsDC

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Even if mine idles normally, it'll still hesitate until it gets fully warm, so I'd say what you're experiencing is normal. I just learned to keep the choke on a couple minutes longer than I initially thought was necessary.
DownByFive is offline   Reply With Quote